My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Find baby car seat advice here.

Car seats

Cheap for occasional use

2 replies

purplepidjin · 17/02/2011 14:43

Hi, this probably goes against the grain, but a little back story!

I have a friend who doesn't drive. I also have a 1970 Beetle... Can you see where I'm going, as her younger two (3 + 11) are boyish boys???

Anyhow, I have offered to take her and the kids out - softplay, swimming etc - to give us a chance for a chinwag and some treats for the kids and I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful seat to pop the little 'un in. I really don't want to spend more than about £20 on something that will probably be used twice next week then not again until the Easter holidays or next time we visit DP's sister and her two (3 + 5)

Any advice appreciated. I have got a couple of items on "watch" on ebay and have sent emails to a couple of folk on my local gumtree...

OP posts:
bethelbeth · 18/02/2011 02:19

Would never recommend a 'cheap' carseat as they won't provide any of the support that is needed should you have an accident.
The £20 chairs on the market shouldn't be there, they offer no protection whatsoever.

Given that it's an older vehicle as well it won't have the same safety standards as a modern car.

Have a look at the reviews on site, in general Britax and Maxi Cosi tend to come out well and tend to be good across the board.

If you can pick one up cheap 2nd hand that would be great but I'd still be suspicious as if it's been in an accident or comprimised it could be of little or no use to your friend's child.

It's a gamble. I'd recommend leaving the car behind so that you can both have a glass of wine with lunch and there will be no fretting over this.

purplepidjin · 18/02/2011 09:08

Thanks, Bethel, I have been looking at second hand (ebay, gumtree) and I'm as sceptical s you in soem respects.

Unfortunately, part of the reason I'm doing this is so that they don't have to use public transport. It also gives us greater range on where they can go and what they can do because a lot of things round here aren't on a bus route and/or are a couple of miles from the nearest station.

I'll keep trawling ebay for local stuff, and hope I can spot a duffer well enough

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.