My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with fellow parents of boarding school students on our supportive forum. Share experiences, tips, and insights.

Boarding school

Sporty Boy starting Year 10 in September but not very academic

16 replies

Endoftheover · 14/01/2024 19:41

Our DS is very sport and at County Level for cricket and hockey but is not strong academically. Current independent school are thinking of reducing his GCSE options. Predicted grades 4, 5 and 6 across subjects with an 8 for Geography. We feel that his senior school experience hasn't been great and DS has found it hard to find teachers he finds interesting.

With these grades he is unlike to get into a London independent so have started to consider boarding schools (state or private).Any recommendations? South of England or on the outskirts of London for a sporty boy needing support with his schooling.

OP posts:
tachetastic · 14/01/2024 20:06

Endoftheover · 14/01/2024 19:41

Our DS is very sport and at County Level for cricket and hockey but is not strong academically. Current independent school are thinking of reducing his GCSE options. Predicted grades 4, 5 and 6 across subjects with an 8 for Geography. We feel that his senior school experience hasn't been great and DS has found it hard to find teachers he finds interesting.

With these grades he is unlike to get into a London independent so have started to consider boarding schools (state or private).Any recommendations? South of England or on the outskirts of London for a sporty boy needing support with his schooling.

I know I cannot suggest Millfield in response to literally every thread, but for a very strong sportsman with average (not awful) academics, it would be a good choice.

Playing at county level in two sports is likely to get him in. Also in terms of A-level entry their requirement is 30 points across any 6 subjects, plus specific requirements for particular courses, but outside of maths and physics, most of those only require a 5 or 6 in the subject you intend to study (tends to be 6s in the sciences etc and 5s in the social sciences / humanities).

https://online.flipbuilder.com/bivp/fsme/

Actually, I suspect lots of schools would take him if he intends to study the subjects he is likely to get a 6 in.

Sixth Form Brochure 2024-26

https://online.flipbuilder.com/bivp/fsme

Endoftheover · 16/01/2024 08:13

Any suggestions for boarding schools near London?

Any experience of Gordon’s, Duke of Yorks Royal Military School or St. Lawrence College?

OP posts:
doglover90 · 16/01/2024 09:52

Mill Hill?

senua · 16/01/2024 10:04

Predicted grades 4, 5 and 6 across subjects with an 8 for Geography.
So he can pull out a good grade when he feels like it?Hmm
Alternatively, does that spike imply something. Have you considered getting him assessed for SPLD (expensive, but if you have the money for boarding fees then you have the money for assessments). If he warrants 'reasonable adjustment' then that may help get the GCSE grades higher. More importantly, it will help with self-knowledge and self-understanding.

tachetastic · 16/01/2024 12:19

Endoftheover · 16/01/2024 08:13

Any suggestions for boarding schools near London?

Any experience of Gordon’s, Duke of Yorks Royal Military School or St. Lawrence College?

If you are looking at state boarding, then I take back my suggestion of Millfield unless you think you would qualify for a bursary. Millfield's fees are high even by independent school standards.

We looked at Duke of York a couple of years ago but decided against it in favour of Wymondham. It looked a good school though, especially if your DS will enjoy the military discipline.

Gordon's looks excellent and we would have gone with that had there been space when we applied.

That said, we were looking at Year 9 entry. No idea what their requirements are for sixth form entry.

Leyenda · 16/01/2024 12:47

I hear Sutton Valemce is very good for sporty children who aren’t great academics. There may be better options that I don’t know of but I’d have no hesitation sending him there.

therainneverbotheredmeanyway · 16/01/2024 12:59

I'm intrigued as to why you think boarding would improve the situation. My dc are at a school with boarders although they don't board. Unless you need boarding I'd look into it carefully as at our school I honestly don't think that there are any academic opportunities that are only for the boarders. There are study and revision sessions after school every day until 6pm that everyone can attend. After that the boarders do a club/sport have dinner and head off to the boarding houses for self study/homework/down time.

WarningOfGails · 16/01/2024 13:04

A friend’s son has been offered a full 6th form scholarship for Millfield despite the fact he’s borderline to pass his English GCSE as he’s county level in rugby, so they are clearly willing to accept the un academic but sporty!

Turmerictolly · 16/01/2024 13:10

I have had recent experience of two friends with boarding boys (top tier schools) who aren't doing as well academically as hoped. One has been pulled out and is thriving now at a London day school where the parents have greater oversight on a daily basis of learning. Can't recommend this school though as it's not sporty. The other has had to engage tutors to support at great expense.

I'm sure there'd be a London Day School that would be suitable. Seems a shame to keep him boarding just for sports at the expense of the academics.

Endoftheover · 16/01/2024 17:22

We had him assessed during Covid. He was 10at the time and the report was really inconclusive. School do give him extra time for tests as he has visual stress but that is all the learning support he is given. We have been considering getting him assessed again.

He does well in the subjects where he gets on well with the teacher. Maths is a struggle but feel that is down to having 6 different teachers last year and his ability to retain information.

As he is now approaching GCSEs it’s worth doing.

OP posts:
senua · 16/01/2024 19:32

It's so difficult with DC who have a talent, especially boys and their sport. They all think that they are going to be the next Big Thing and, of course, most won't. I read a quotation this morning which really summed it up:
"XXX attended DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, on a music scholarship, studying classical piano. She changed her major to biology after realizing that "classical pianists compete for six job openings a year, and the rest of [them] get to play 'Blue Moon' in a hotel lobby."

He really needs a Plan B for when if the sport doesn't come good; he needs the best grades he can get. And it might be an idea to grow out of "He does well in the subjects where he gets on well with the teacher".

MrPickles73 · 17/01/2024 15:45

How about sticking with the day school but getting some tutoring etc. You can pay for a lot of tutoring with the money for boarding...

elastamum · 17/01/2024 15:49

Repton is an obvious choice for a very good hockey player. Although in the midlands. They offer a lot of sports scholarships, and aren't particularly academically selective.

MrPickles73 · 17/01/2024 18:53

Can I ask where would people recommend for a sporty (hockey, running and cricket) as a well as academic boy if location were no issue?

3WildOnes · 17/01/2024 18:58

I would use your money for tutoring instead. Ime day schools are much better with academics than boarding schools.

Daisymay2 · 17/01/2024 19:19

MrPickles73 · 17/01/2024 18:53

Can I ask where would people recommend for a sporty (hockey, running and cricket) as a well as academic boy if location were no issue?

Ipswich is a strong hockey school, not so sure about the cricket and running. Has won lots of hockey championships and have several GB hockey internationals, male and female amongst the OI. Also good academically.
Current head is leaving at the end of this academic year after 14 years.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.