Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

This board exists primarily for the use of Black Mumsnetters. Others are welcome to post but please be respectful.

The Elvis Film

Nolongerteaching · 29/07/2022 20:56

Hi

I am really interested on BMN views on the recent Elvis film. It’s narrated throughout by Col Parker and tells the story as he sees it but I have heard a few criticisms around how the film exaggerates Elvis’ relationship and love of the black community around him.

I was raised on the altar of Elvis and knew all the music by the time I was 8. Alongside Fats, BB King, Little Richard and many others. The film shows Beale St and these characters with some amazing female singers (Sister Rosetta Sharpe, Baby Mama Thornton) plus a gospel church Elvis visited as a child.

The film also highlights how he was criticised for bringing black rhythms (on the guitar) to a white audience and breaking segregation laws.

This was the story I was told about Elvis - that he always recognised that his inspiration in every sense came from the black spirituals and he always kept his friendships with the likes of BB but I have heard other stuff that suggests that is fake, he didn’t pay his backing singers fairly, he had affairs with them, etc.

I’m really curious to know if anyone who has seen the film feels it is fair or if it is all fake. The music is fantastic, the depiction of the early rock n roll, jive era and the old jazz clubs I thought was done incredibly well.

I’ll end with this amazing piece by Big Mama Thornton who sings Hound dog (and Elvis nicked it from her). It’s in the film played by Shonda Dukureh (RIP)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHDrzw-RPg

OP's posts:
Please
or

BoviTraci · 29/08/2022 23:01

Nolongerteaching · 29/07/2022 20:56

Hi

I am really interested on BMN views on the recent Elvis film. It’s narrated throughout by Col Parker and tells the story as he sees it but I have heard a few criticisms around how the film exaggerates Elvis’ relationship and love of the black community around him.

I was raised on the altar of Elvis and knew all the music by the time I was 8. Alongside Fats, BB King, Little Richard and many others. The film shows Beale St and these characters with some amazing female singers (Sister Rosetta Sharpe, Baby Mama Thornton) plus a gospel church Elvis visited as a child.

The film also highlights how he was criticised for bringing black rhythms (on the guitar) to a white audience and breaking segregation laws.

This was the story I was told about Elvis - that he always recognised that his inspiration in every sense came from the black spirituals and he always kept his friendships with the likes of BB but I have heard other stuff that suggests that is fake, he didn’t pay his backing singers fairly, he had affairs with them, etc.

I’m really curious to know if anyone who has seen the film feels it is fair or if it is all fake. The music is fantastic, the depiction of the early rock n roll, jive era and the old jazz clubs I thought was done incredibly well.

I’ll end with this amazing piece by Big Mama Thornton who sings Hound dog (and Elvis nicked it from her). It’s in the film played by Shonda Dukureh (RIP)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHDrzw-RPg

According to the film Elvis lived and grew up amongst black people from a very young age
That's where he got his love of black music from and a sense of justice and empathy for black people. He knew there was good and bad in all of us . People are people the world over .

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?