Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

This board exists primarily for the use of Black Mumsnetters. Others are welcome to post but please be respectful.

daughter's braids (extensions) itching

RaisingMissDaisy · 19/07/2022 13:31

hello all
My daughter had her first braids with extensions done on Friday. She loves the look of them but they seem to be very itchy. I am hoping this is normal for the first few days, with the scalp adjusting to the new weight hanging off it. We have been applying scalp oil, and the skin doesn't LOOK irritated or dry, but still the itchiness almost drove her to tears yesterday evening.
So as not to dripfeed, my daughter is mixed race, I am white, so can unfortunately not draw on my own experience. Assuming she is not allergic (fingers crossed), is there any product that might help reduce the itchiness?
Thank you!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RedWingBoots · 19/07/2022 13:35

Did she buy the extension hair herself or get it from the braider?

Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 19/07/2022 13:41

the braider provided them

OP's posts:
Please
or

hedgehoglurker · 19/07/2022 13:44

Have you tried an antihistamine in case it is an allergy either to the hair or a product they might have used? Do they look very tight?

Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 19/07/2022 13:51

I have not tried an anti-histamine, no. I guess if it was an allergic reaction, then an antihistamine would just temporarily relieve the symptoms, but not fix the cause, wouldn't it. But then I might have an answer as to whether it IS an allergic reaction or not.
They don't look that tight to my very inexperienced eye, but I haven't really had a very close look at braids before..

OP's posts:
Please
or

hedgehoglurker · 19/07/2022 13:56

I personally would rule out allergy, although antihistamine could simply help to alleviate the itching. Are her ears/ neck/ face itchy too?

Is it very hot where you are? Did they advise how soon she can wash her scalp, as gently rinsjng in cool /tepid water might give her some relief?

Please
or

hedgehoglurker · 19/07/2022 13:57

• I personally would want to rule out allergy and try antihistamine
Please
or

LadyKenya · 19/07/2022 14:00

It may help to use the shower head to gently rinse her hair and scalp. Pat dry with a soft t-shirt, and air dry. Then apply a light oil to the scalp. Sweet almond oil, or olive oil very lightly. Pour the oil in a cup and dip your fingertip pad in, and run along the scalp. That should help.

Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 19/07/2022 14:00

Thank you @hedgehoglurker
No, ears, neck and face are not itchy, just the scalp. We are in London so it's roasting here today (and the previous few days!), so maybe sweating doesn't help?
Braider said nothing about washing, she all that needed doing every now and then/as needed was scalp oil. I just messaged her and she said to try an apple cider vinegar rinse and sent a you tube video for reference - I may give that a go

OP's posts:
Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 19/07/2022 14:02

Thank you, @LadyKenya may try that too

OP's posts:
Please
or

hedgehoglurker · 19/07/2022 14:13

I can see having new tight heavier braids in this heat could get sweaty and itchy. If allergic to the hair, I would expect surrounding sensitive skin like the back of ears to react too. I hope your dd gets some relief from cooling rinses, with or without acv and can enjoy her beautiful new style!

Please
or

MissyCooperismyShero · 19/07/2022 14:15

How were the braids attached? Was any metal involved?

Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 19/07/2022 14:16

Thank you @hedgehoglurker !! She was sooooo delighted with them at first and I can see she hates to admit that she cannot "cope" with them. Will try everything you suggested, fingers crossed!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 19/07/2022 14:28

no, @MissyCooperismyShero no metal involved. simply "knotted" in

OP's posts:
Please
or

debbrianna · 19/07/2022 22:34

I remember reading something about allergies years ago and how you should always wash the braids before use. Similar link below
www.dailysun.co.za/lifestyle/itchy-braids-you-could-be-allergic-to-synthetic-hair-20190702

Please
or

Nigerianbritmum · 20/07/2022 04:27

OP you say the stylist provided the hair. Do you remember if it was pre-stretched hair by any chance?
If yes, it might be causing an allergy. In order to pre stretch the hair lots of chemicals are used. It's for this reason I buy non stretched hair and ask the stylist to stretch it before installing

Please
or

LillymaeP · 20/07/2022 04:40

I remember reading years ago that ACV can do the trick?

Have tried to include link below but ifit doesn't show, you can just google: 'ACV Itchy braids' HTH

classic105.com
classic105.com › how-to-us...
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to stop itching from braids - Classic 105

Please
or

DeeCeeCherry · 20/07/2022 05:12

Anti-itch spray is sold in Black hair shops. I dont know if it works, never tried it.

I used to have braids years ago and the itch was maddening for the 1st 2 weeks.

Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 20/07/2022 10:12

thank you @DeeCeeCherry She seemed a bit better yesterday evening and i am fairly sure now it's "just" early day jitters. Thank you to everybody who responded, I am keeping all the tips in mind in case I need them in the future

OP's posts:
Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 20/07/2022 10:22

Oh there are more replies!
@LillymaeP the braider herself suggested that ACV might help, so I bought some, but didn't actually use it yesterday as daughter seemed better
@Nigerianbritmum the hair was pre-stretched. I will bear that in mind for the future.

OP's posts:
Please
or

RaisingMissDaisy · 20/07/2022 10:26

oh and @debbrianna my googling also led me to some articles about extensions sometimes being coated in something that can cause allergic reactions, which is why I started panicking a bit, but her scalp doesn't look red or irritated, so I really think it must be because she is so unused to having anything attached to her scalp

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?