Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Dealing with past trauma as well as grief?

Kai1981 · 10/04/2022 14:49

My Dad died suddenly and unexpectedly 5 weeks ago. I was there with him at the end.

I've had a difficult few years personally (a very traumatic end to a marriage followed by divorce, then picking up the pieces during the pandemic).

I had started dating again a few months ago and met someone lovely but we'd recently ended things (he wasn't ready for a relationship) just before my Dad died.

I feel so awful all of the time and sometimes, I feel like I'm grieving that brief relationship more than my Dad's death (feels like the breakup of a twenty year relationship, not two months). I miss the guy I was dating so much and feel devastated that it's over. I wonder if my mind is doing it on purpose, to protect me from the real grief?

Things have just been so crap for so long, I feel despondent. Dealing with grief is hard enough as it is and I just feel I have nothing left. And now it feels I'm dealing with both terrible grief and also deep loneliness.

I have taken a brief time off work and have been seeing a psychotherapist for a while already. Any help or advice would be welcome I suppose.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Helenbackagain3 · 10/04/2022 23:41

Sounds like you’ve had an awful time, sending my love.

Please
or

Kai1981 · 11/04/2022 16:43

Thank you @Helenbackagain3

OP's posts:
Please
or

FluffyFluffyClouds · 13/04/2022 12:59

That's just a whole tub of shit OP, I'm so sorry.

I'm not being facile - if you've ever wanted to get a pet of some kind (), now IS the time. There's something very grounding and healing about the love and companionship of another living creature.

(
) That you're able to care for, obvs

Please
or

Kai1981 · 13/04/2022 14:20

Thank you, that's a very apt way of putting it @FluffyFluffyClouds! (Yes I am still able to laugh about it sometimes).

I was actually thinking of the Borrow my Doggy app, it felt like a manageable way to start. Will investigate.

OP's posts:
Please
or

gemzbyemz · 25/05/2022 16:01

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

Inscripture · 24/06/2022 23:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Please
or

PeaceLillyWhiteFlower · 08/07/2022 15:15

Does your psychotherapist know about bereavement? If not, maybe you should change to one who does?

I have come to the conclusion that grief plays tricks on us. Anything to avoid the possibility that your loved one isn't coming back.

So yes, I think your brain may be fixated on the two month boyfriend because that's actually easier, or less awful, than your real losses.

All religions try to make sense of death and loss. Perhaps faith is the only way through.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.