Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Pregnant with #2 and toddler losing her sh*t. Need hope please.

MeltdownCentral1 · 16/06/2022 22:52

Evening ladies,

I have a 20 month old DD who has always been quite high needs, but recently her behaviour around me has just been INSANE. I'm a SAHM so we spend loads of time together, and I get that tantrums are normal at this age. However, the last few months have been something else!

Her meltdowns begin first thing in the morning about absolutely anything- yesterday it was that mummy wasn't wearing shorts, then that her ears were wet from her tears....the list goes on. It's the frequency of her meltdowns that's worrying me. My husband is WFH and even he has been quite alarmed by the fact that DD spends the majority of her time when alone with me, crying and screaming. Yesterday I actually timed how long she could go without tantruming about something and we barely lasted 20 minutes. My strategy the last few weeks has just been to plan a ton of outings and playdates and get us both out of the house ASAP. She is absolutely fine when my husband is around and when we are out around other people. The crazy meltdowns are only when at home with me :( I'm half way through my pregnancy with baby no.2 and we have tried explaining to her a couple of times that there's a baby in mummy's tummy, but she has never really appeared to digest this or show any interest so we haven't pushed it. I wonder if this is linked to her behaviour? I never really believed that DD could 'sense' something was up but her behaviour is getting worse and worse and now I'm wondering if it is in fact related to my pregnancy? As crazy as that sounds.

Developmentally she is doing well, met all her milestones on time if not early. She's always been a little bit ahead verbally so you'd think she would be less frustrated by life generally.

I'd appreciate any advice at all!!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

fyn · 16/06/2022 23:28

My daughter is a few months older and has been having similar tantrums I.e asking for banana, floods of tears when I give her the banana. I’ve tried everything and have settled on sitting by her and letting her work out her feelings. Hugging her, distracting, talking made it 10x worse. I’m just assuming it’s a phase that will pass, hopefully before baby 2 arrives in the autumn!

Please
or

MeltdownCentral1 · 17/06/2022 12:17

I really hope it's a phase too :( it's only getting worse. This morning she tried throwing a wooden toy at me :O she's been headbutting random things in the house and then looking at DH and I for a reaction. I'm confused because she honestly has all our attention most of the time we are with her.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.