Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

3 year old tantrums to and from nursery

SarahGD89 · 15/06/2022 12:43

Hello parents, long one but I need some parental advice
I made a mumsnet account just for this, as I can't find anything specific online about this behaviour. Basically my youngest son (3 and a half) has started nursery, and it's been 8 days since he started. For the first few days my son was fine, didn't like leaving but nothing I didn't think was abnormal. However, for the past 3 school days my son will throw the mother of all tantrums walking to school, and leaving school. The teachers only concern about his behaviour in nursery is that he shoved his class mate, and will sulk and push his boundaries further if being told no. This sulking behaviour happens at home, it is getting better though and being in nursery has helped him deal with being told no, the nursery no longer worries. These tantrums though, I'm worried.
A little back story, we have only recently been able to get him a place in nursery. Our family has been waiting for a place for months since the end of the pandemic. During this waiting time my MIL and AIL have been up my backside constantly about my son not being in nursery, not being out of nappies (he is now, they didn't need to worry) his speech not being as advanced, his shyness (he's not that shy) basically being in laws I guess. What's getting to me is that both MIL and AIL keep saying my son is "obviously autistic" due to these behaviours, and will pick out more behaviour they think is autistic. My AIL has a son who is in fact autistic, and I think she is projecting a little. My youngest has hit every milestone so far, though he still communicates by tantrums when he gets angry, often throwing himself to the floor and covering his ears as he screams.
Back to nursery, my son will love getting ready in the mornings and when he's home from nursery, all is well. Walking to school, he'll be ok until he gets to school grounds and will suddenly scream and try to run elsewhere, or just go limp on the floor and scream. Leaving nursery, he'll walk out then try to run off elsewhere in the school grounds too, then when he's been caught will scream. I was initially quite confident about just letting this behaviour run its course, I'll take him by the hand and drag him home, and we don't live far. The other parents though, are starting to make snide comments, and today my son knocked me to the ground due to his tantrum (he's a stocky toddler and I have some muscle atrophy from an autoimmune disease) and though the teachers have no concerns, I'm worried my son isn't making friends and that these tantrums may stop him from making friends and might be beyond normal 3 year old behaviour.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SarahGD89 · 15/06/2022 12:46

Edit, I don't actually drag him home it's a phrase he is walking reluctantly I guess

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.