Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Talipes

CharIotte · 12/06/2022 14:32

My DD is 9 weeks old she was born with talipes (club foot) and I was just told to gently manipulate her feet and they should straighten out, also again at her 6/8 week check up same advice was given

I haven't really noticed an improvement - do I need to worry? Is it something that can just mend itself?

Advice pleasee Thank you

Talipes
OP's posts:
Please
or

LifeIsBusy · 13/06/2022 20:11

So it really does depend on the type. My DS was born with congenital talipes in one foot. It was corrected via plaster casts, operation and now nears boots and bar.

Does his foot massage into the correct position? Was it diagnosed at the 20 week scan or birth?

Please
or

CharIotte · 14/06/2022 12:17

@LifeIsBusy thank you for your reply- so she was diagnosed at birth, they didn't really say too much about it. Her feet do massage into a normal position but then go back straight away. I didn't even realise a cast/ boots were an option until I googled it so now I'm worried, but maybe they didn't mention it because they didn't think her condition was too bad? I honestly have no idea. I just don't want it causing her problems later in life Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

LifeIsBusy · 14/06/2022 19:31

Casts and boots are an option for congenital.talipes which is a birth defect commonly spotted on the 20 week scan.

The other kind is positional which occurs when Babs feet get squished in later pregnancy. Generally they say if the feet massage back into foot like position it should correct itself by 6 months. My DS was diagnosed via 20 week scan and we had a treatment plan before birth to correct his foot as massage wouldn't have helped.

If you want a second opinion, go to the drs and ask for a referral to orthopaedics for a second opinion. Smile

Please
or

essexmummy321 · 14/06/2022 22:01

DD had the positional type, she was referred to paediatric physiotherapy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.