Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Concerned

abbs1 · 16/05/2022 17:43

Does anyone know or if you've been through this, does having steroids in pregnancy affect your childs behaviour?

For context, I had to be on IV and tablet steroids from 12-20 weeks alongaide multiple other antisickness medication due to severe hyperemesis. It was the only way to stop my vomiting otherwise me and my baby would have died.

He is now just over 2. He can only say duck duck, aww no!, oh wow, uh huh, and in the last few weeks finally said a few times dada and mumma. His behaviour is very difficult atm. Tantrum after tantrum, throwing things, no patience at all. The smallest things tip him over the edge. He gets frustrated very quickly and has very little attention span. He wont join in any activities with other children and has no interest.
He understands everything we say to him and is very smart in figuring things out. He also so loving as well bless him and loves giving hugs and kisses.

Could steroids be the issue here? I'm concerned that by having them he may have developmental issues. I was told by multiple gynae consultants etc that the steroids and anti sickness medication wouldn't cause any behavioural issues but now I'm not convinced. Other children around him don't behave like this when we are out at playgroups etc.

Please be kind in your answers.

OP's posts:
Please
or

abbs1 · 16/05/2022 21:04

Bump

OP's posts:
Please
or

kass12 · 17/05/2022 08:26

Hello! I am not a healthcare professional, but just wanted to give you a virtual hug.

Don't beat yourself up for something that already has happened and was advised by, I would believe, doctors. As you mentioned, if you didn't have the treatment , the outcome would be bad. So that's that, there should be no guilt from your side. I had a slightly similar experience and would constantly go back and overthink what could I have done wrong in pregnancy, what could have happened if this or that didn't happen. It is honestly consuming your whole self and not good for mental health at all.

He sounds like a strong willed toddler, which is completely normal. Speech side maybe slightly delayed, as they would expect simple sentences in children over 2. So I would concentrate on trying to improve his speech, it also will help with frustration he might be feeling with communication. So I'd talk to GP or Health Visitor about speech and you can also mention your worries to GP about the medication to put your mind at peace.

Take care of yourself 💖

Please
or

skkyelark · 17/05/2022 16:05

I agree that it sounds like there is a bit of speech delay, and it's worth a call to the HV and/or GP, but if his understanding is good, that's very promising. How is his non-verbal communication? Does he use gestures and where he's looking to communicate with you? Does he point to tell you he wants something or to show you something interesting he's seen (a dog, a police car, etc.)? Does he babble, with a range of sounds and in response to you talking?

A hearing test is usually the first thing to check with speech delay, and in some places you can refer your child yourself, so that might be worth looking into.

Is he due a review with the HV soon? Different areas do them at slightly different times, but there's usually one at 2-2.5 years. If you want more of an overview of his development, this is the questionnaire they usually use: https://www.adaircountyhealthsystem.org/pdf/2019/Patient%20Forms/1st%20Five%20Well%20Child%20Forms/24%20Months%20Questionairre.pdf. Make sure you check the scoring sheet at the end, though, as they never expect 6 'yeses' in a section,

Please
or

abbs1 · 18/05/2022 08:03

kass12

Hello! I am not a healthcare professional, but just wanted to give you a virtual hug.

Don't beat yourself up for something that already has happened and was advised by, I would believe, doctors. As you mentioned, if you didn't have the treatment , the outcome would be bad. So that's that, there should be no guilt from your side. I had a slightly similar experience and would constantly go back and overthink what could I have done wrong in pregnancy, what could have happened if this or that didn't happen. It is honestly consuming your whole self and not good for mental health at all.

He sounds like a strong willed toddler, which is completely normal. Speech side maybe slightly delayed, as they would expect simple sentences in children over 2. So I would concentrate on trying to improve his speech, it also will help with frustration he might be feeling with communication. So I'd talk to GP or Health Visitor about speech and you can also mention your worries to GP about the medication to put your mind at peace.

Take care of yourself 💖

Thank you so much for your kind words. I just want the best for him and seeing him ao frustrated hurts me. Ive tried the HV but they said nothing will be done until his 2 1/2yr review in September/October which seems so long to wait but i will keep encouraging him as best I can.
The GP sadly isn't interested and said its down to the hospital to deal with as they gave me the medication.
I will do my best not to worry myself.

OP's posts:
Please
or

abbs1 · 18/05/2022 08:06

skkyelark

I agree that it sounds like there is a bit of speech delay, and it's worth a call to the HV and/or GP, but if his understanding is good, that's very promising. How is his non-verbal communication? Does he use gestures and where he's looking to communicate with you? Does he point to tell you he wants something or to show you something interesting he's seen (a dog, a police car, etc.)? Does he babble, with a range of sounds and in response to you talking?

A hearing test is usually the first thing to check with speech delay, and in some places you can refer your child yourself, so that might be worth looking into.

Is he due a review with the HV soon? Different areas do them at slightly different times, but there's usually one at 2-2.5 years. If you want more of an overview of his development, this is the questionnaire they usually use: https://www.adaircountyhealthsystem.org/pdf/2019/Patient%20Forms/1st%20Five%20Well%20Child%20Forms/24%20Months%20Questionairre.pdf. Make sure you check the scoring sheet at the end, though, as they never expect 6 'yeses' in a section,

His non verbal communication is pretty good. He points to get our attention or will touch our face to make us look in the direction he wants us to see.
He doesnt babble as such but says ah ah ah or oh no or oh wow at things. He finally said yeah the other day.
Yes hes due his review in sept/oct.

Thank you for sharing the questionnaire. I will take a look and see what areas i can help him.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.