Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

2yr old constant biting and nipping please help

PrinnyPree · 14/05/2022 08:19

Hello I don't know if this is normal but I'm finding it really draining.

My son turns 2 soon, and for the past few months he's started really nipping and biting very hard. This doesn't happen during tantrums (where he's more inclined to kick and lash out) but when he's calm or happy.

So we'll be having a nice cuddle and he'll just randomly bite or nip me as hard as he can same if we're playing, also when he nips he grits his teeth and looks me in the eye as if he's trying to do it as hard as possible. Sometimes afterwards he'll say "are you okay Mummy" and pat me or "are you sad Mummy? Hug?" which I find strangely manipulative. He does it to his Dad too.

I try to remain calm and tell him teeth are for eating and kind hands, Mummy doesn't like it and it hurts Mummy. I ask him to say sorry and he does but then will bite me or nip me again 3 seconds afterwards.

He's got really good speech for his age and looks me in the eye and seems to recognise emotions, however he is also non stop, I have to take him out of the house every day whether the park or an activity to burn off some of his beans because he's like a coiled spring and has the energy of a 6 month old puppy. He also is not very good at sitting still during circle time at playgroup with me or at nursery (which he goes to twice a week)

He sleeps fine but it takes me till 9pm to get him to sleep most nights and most nappy changes are an absolute battle (although I have found letting him watch videos of himself on my phone sometimes works during nappy changes)

I love my little boy very much but the purposeful hurting me is getting me down a bit and I'm covered in bruises. Please any suggestions or is it just a phase?

OP's posts:
Please
or

fumanchu · 15/05/2022 21:45

Probably a phase but every time he nips I would say no firmly and walk away, maybe into another room - not for long,just to emphasise this behaviour is unacceptable.

Please
or

PrinnyPree · 18/05/2022 08:14

Thankyou @fumanchu I will try that, I do do that sometimes but not consistently (mostly because I'm not always in a position to just leave the room, eg bathtime, nappy change) but this is a good tactic. X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Genevie82 · 06/06/2022 16:28

Yes, at his age he just wouldn’t have any understanding that being bitten really hurts!! I imagine it’s become a source of amusement seeng your reaction and I agree with the other poster that he needs to connect biting you to you then immediately and calming walking away and leaving him to it for a while.. it will pass x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.