Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hand flapping

Hopehope20 · 08/04/2019 14:02

Hi,

My 5 month old has been hand flapping for a week now. Just his left hand and by flapping I mean he keeps opening and closing it.

I wasn't worried about it at all but stupidly googled it and lots of information came up about this being a red flag for autism.

I suffer greatly with health anxiety so reading this is a real trigger for me.

Have anyone else's little ones also hand flapped? I'm wondering if this could also be a development thing?

Thank you in advance x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Thebatmother · 08/04/2019 14:42

I’d not be worried. At 5 months babies are very interested in their hands and feet and all the things they can do with them - sucking them, looking at them etc.

With children with autism, hand flapping will be just one of a range of associated behaviours they have . My DB still does it (he’s in his 60s with high functioning autism) when he sees running water. A baby of 5 months exploring what his hands will do is not a problem.

Please
or

Hopehope20 · 08/04/2019 18:22

Thank you. It's hard not to read into everything. I think this is telling me more about my mental health than anything being wrong with him. Thank you for taking the time to respond x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Thebatmother · 08/04/2019 19:56

That’s no problem HopeHope. Health anxiety is a hard taskmaster. My DD has it and worries so much about her DC and I had it when she was tiny too and remember how horrible it is.

Please
or

PJ67 · 11/04/2019 00:07

I'm sure I remember mine doing this, I think they become a bit obsessed with their hands at that age. Doesn't really sound like hand flapping, he's probably fascinated by the movements he can make with his hand.

Please
or

surreygirl1987 · 11/04/2019 08:23

My 6 month old is always flapping around. I'm not worried... you can drive yourself mad by worrying and that sort of thing can't properly be diagnosed til they're a lit older... enjoy your baby at the mo instead :)

Please
or

JK2012 · 11/04/2019 15:30

Babies often show excitement by flapping. It can be very normal. It’s when they do it excessively which could be a sign.

I have two children. My eldest has autism and he has never flapped his hands, not once.

My daughter who does not have autism has flapped her hands in excitement since a baby so in my experience completely normal!

Please
or

Hopehope20 · 11/04/2019 21:19

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and to reply. It's so very appreciated xx

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.