Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Disciplining a 2.5 year old

Alibongo37 · 14/06/2018 11:22

My daughter is not a naughty 2 and a half year old but when she does do something I ask her not to do, she will often just giggle and carry on doing it. I've recently been trying different ways of speaking to her to discipline her but nothing works, not even shouting.
Any advice? And is this a phase??
Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

JiltedJohnsJulie · 14/06/2018 20:55

Well you’ve already realised that shouting doesn’t work. Instead try the No Cry Discipline SolutionSmile

Please
or

Imapudding · 14/06/2018 22:00

My DD is nearly 3 now and not particularly well behaved so maybe not the best advice! But what I try to do:
1 - explain why you don’t want her to do that / or do that, e.g. you’ll get hurt and we don’t want that, do we. Or don’t make a mess or we’ll have to tidy it all up! Pretty obvious I think they are starting to reason at that age and better for them to understand why than just ‘don’t do that’. If that doesn’t work..
2 - distraction, let’s go and do this instead
3 - bribery! DD hates having her toenails clipped. ‘Let’s snip your nails, I’ll be nice and gentle it won’t hurt I promise. Then when they are clipped we can paint them yellow!!’
4- if all else fails there’s the naughty step. The treat of it normally works now ‘brush your teath nicely or the naughty step’.

Please
or

Imapudding · 14/06/2018 22:01

Sorry didn’t write that very well but hopefully you get the drift.

Please
or

Alibongo37 · 15/06/2018 17:52

Thanks @Imapudding. Tried all of those. Found bribery works best!
Will continue with the other methods though!!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Alibongo37 · 15/06/2018 17:53

Thanks @JiltedJohnsJulie you'd recommend then?

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.