Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Amelia and Olivia - too simiar???

19 replies

sallycinamon · 16/06/2008 14:49

We already have an Amelia and thinking about calling this dc (if it's a girl!) Olivia. I think they're quite similar sounding names so I'm not convinced. I do really like the name Olivia though and think it'll end up being shortened to Livi.

What do you think?

Other possibilities for a girl are Rosie and Eleanor.

thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

WigWamBam · 16/06/2008 14:52

I don't think they're too simialr; I think they go quite nicely together.

I love Rose (prefer it to Rosie, although Rosie is OK), and Eleanor is nice as well.

Please
or

sfxmum · 16/06/2008 14:53

they are lovely names all but not to keen on Rosie prefer Rose

Please
or

Bellie · 16/06/2008 14:54

Do you shorten Amelia? If you do you may want to think about the shorted names - e.g Millie and Livi- do you like them?

Please
or

Tortington · 16/06/2008 14:56

melly and olly

Please
or

Izzybel · 16/06/2008 14:58

I wouldn't have said that they are too similar. If you love Olivia you should go for it. I do like Rosie though

Please
or

hatrick · 16/06/2008 15:01

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Pannacotta · 16/06/2008 15:07

I think they are too similar, but its very subjective as with all name stuff!

Please
or

Bucharest · 16/06/2008 15:09

I think they are very similar- not sure if they are too similar..they are both very very "now". (it would be kind of like having both an Emily and a Grace a couple of years ago)

Please
or

henrys7thwife · 16/06/2008 15:17

I think they're very similar as well. Maybe Octavia instead of Olivia?

Please
or

edam · 16/06/2008 15:18

Very similar - some friends of mine have an Olivia and an Amelia and I do find it tricky, am always getting their names confused.

Please
or

gigglegirl · 16/06/2008 21:17

i don't think they sound that similar!

Our dd1 is Isobel and we have an Oliver and a Daniel and DD2 is due in August and we think she is going to be called Imogen, I don't think we'll shorten them to issy and immy but otherwise I think they are nice together even though my friend thinks two names beginning with I is silly!

Please
or

Cecy · 16/06/2008 21:23

They're okay together, but I prefer Amelia and Eleanor as a sibset

Please
or

spareparts · 16/06/2008 23:28

I think they are slightly too matchy.

Please
or

henrys7thwife · 17/06/2008 11:58

gigglegirl, I don't think Isobel & Imogen are too matchy, they have completely different sounds/endings apart from the I at the beginning. We have Noah, Isaiah, Isla, and Eleanor, and we've gotten TONS of flak for Noah & Isaiah ending in the 'ah' sound, and with using Isla & Isaiah as both I's. We considered some I names for Eleanor but 1) didn't want Noah to be left out! and 2) felt there were tons of lovely names without matching.

Sorry to hijack the OP!

Please
or

jellybeans · 17/06/2008 12:00

Too simelar i think.

Please
or

belgo · 17/06/2008 12:02

Amelia and Olivis go together fine. Rosie and Eleanor are nice too.

Please
or

JulesJules · 17/06/2008 12:03

They are similar, but I think they go together well, especially if you would be using shortened forms. Both very pretty names IMO.

Hatrick - Thea and Saskia, really? Lovely! I have a Thea, and Saskia is the other DD's favourite name, she wishes she'd been called it!

Please
or

AbbeyA · 17/06/2008 12:19

I like them both but I think that they are too similar. Why not use Olivia for the second name?

Please
or

LadyThompson · 17/06/2008 12:32

I think they go together nicely BUT Olivia is tres tres tres popular (top 5?) - if this doesn't worry you go with Olivia if you like it

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?