My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

What would you do?? Help.

38 replies

Samzzz · 17/01/2024 09:53

You may have seen my other threads but if our third baby is a boy then my DH wants to name him. To give context, we have two other DC (Boy Ezra and girl Winter), I named them both with DH agreeing. My DH shares the same first initial with his Dad beginning with M and the same middle name, James. If we have another boy then I agreed he could name him. He really wants to use a name beginning with M to follow this new ‘tradition’. I personally don’t care for it all but it’s important to him and he’s now fixated on it. The difficulty is he loves the name Maddox and I don’t. He won’t agree on any other name and has made his mind up. I don’t hate it but it’s not a name I would have chosen. Question is, do I agree and accept it with the hope Maddox will grow on me or refuse and tell him point blank it’s a no and risk upsetting him?
Thanks for reading this far :)

OP posts:
SpeculatingRooks · 17/01/2024 10:06

If you don't like Maddox say no. You both have to agree.

I thought it was going to be Malachi??
Much nicer.

SpeculatingRooks · 17/01/2024 10:08

Just read your post again, hopefully it will be a girl!

WildCherryBlossom · 17/01/2024 10:12

Malachi does go well with Ezra.

Micah
Michael
Milo
Miles..

I think keeping his (newish) family tradition going is sweet but you do have a right to veto.

Samzzz · 17/01/2024 10:16

WildCherryBlossom · 17/01/2024 10:12

Malachi does go well with Ezra.

Micah
Michael
Milo
Miles..

I think keeping his (newish) family tradition going is sweet but you do have a right to veto.

I also think it’s sweet but sharing the first initial with his Dad I’m sure was coincidental. Using the same middle name, James I completely agree with and I love it. It’s the first name having to begin with M that I’m struggling with and Maddox just doesn’t sit right.

OP posts:
determinedtomakethiswork · 17/01/2024 10:21

Maddox is just going to be known as Mad. Put Mad with his surname and keep repeating it to him.

Mazuslongtoenail · 17/01/2024 10:25

I think you both have to like it enough and it sounds like you don’t. Neither of my kids have names that would be in mine or DH top 3 - but they are the ones we both liked.

WildCherryBlossom · 17/01/2024 10:28

Agree - you do both need to like it. One of our DCs names was completely my DHs choice (after I had chosen the previous DCs name). It probably wouldn't have been my first choice name at the time but would have been in my top 10. Of course now I can't imagine DC with any other name.

pontipinemum · 17/01/2024 10:53

I don't really like it either and can see him being called Mad-ox

You both need to agree on the name. I 'found' our DSs name but DH agreed on it.

I wouldn't mind being narrowed down to one letter, and James is a lovely middle name.

Marcus
Marco
Matthew
Mateo

DuchessOfSausage · 17/01/2024 11:27

Mad ox. Raging bull?
Madoc is better

FloofCloud · 17/01/2024 12:32

Maddox is a marmite name IMO so if you don't like it then say no - what about James Maddox - it doesn't need to start with M in reality

DuchessOfSausage · 17/01/2024 13:11

I had the same initials as a parent. Anything addressed to Miss D.O. Sausage was opened by DM or DF. Not great when I was a teenager.

DuchessOfSausage · 17/01/2024 14:03

or refuse and tell him point blank it’s a no and risk upsetting him?
or say yes and upset you.

You don't like the name. You can't seriously consider giving a child a name you don't like.

Call the baby Max or something.

CloakOfNope · 17/01/2024 14:28

My parents did that when they named us. DM named DSis and DB and then DF got to name me. DM didn't like DF's choice but once I was born she grew to love it because it's my name and now she can't imagine me being called anything else. I know what name she wanted use and I'm glad DF named me.

Doublebiscuit77 · 17/01/2024 17:31

Yep Maddox isn't a great name- you can't name him something you don't like. Ask him to come up with a shortlist of three 'M' names and you choose one of those.

(My favourite M names would be Maxim/Max, Milo, Monty, Matteo.

Magnus, Malcolm, Martin, Matthew, Marius and Marco aren't bad either.

Merlin and Moses maybe for less conservative choices.)

Schoolrunmumbun · 17/01/2024 18:18

A really nice joiner who came to quote for our kitchen told me his son was called Maddox and they regretted it because his siblings called him Maggots and it had stuck. Ask your DH if he wants his son to get called Maggots!

Schoolrunmumbun · 17/01/2024 18:19

What about a nice sounding M surname as the first name.

Marshall
Mitchel

whatsmyname123 · 18/01/2024 13:57

My husband chose our second son's name, I didn't hate, wasn't sure it was "the one" but I went with it. I love it and him now.
However the name he chose wasn't Maddox, I'm not a fan of that personally. If I really didn't like it I'd say so, it's both your child so you both should agree.

Snowydaysfaraway · 18/01/2024 13:58

Maximus nn Max.

Snowydaysfaraway · 18/01/2024 13:59

Better a gladiator than a mad cow imo...

Wediblino7 · 18/01/2024 14:08

Could you maybe shorten Maddox to Max? Or Macsen is a lovely name and goes well with James

Thereader90 · 18/01/2024 14:13

My first thought when I read the name was "he's gunna get called 'Mad'." Think about whether you'd rather upset your husband slightly by telling him you don't like it or have a son called 'Mad'?

DangerousAlchemy · 18/01/2024 14:14

Wediblino7 · 18/01/2024 14:08

Could you maybe shorten Maddox to Max? Or Macsen is a lovely name and goes well with James

Macsen?? is that even a real name lol @Wediblino7

MrsB74 · 18/01/2024 15:07

Schoolrunmumbun · 17/01/2024 18:18

A really nice joiner who came to quote for our kitchen told me his son was called Maddox and they regretted it because his siblings called him Maggots and it had stuck. Ask your DH if he wants his son to get called Maggots!

Here is your best argument against Maddox! Not a name I’d have agreed with either, although it’s just as well we had girls as we really struggled to agree on any boy names as well. He needs to compromise if you really don’t like it. As others have said, Max is the obvious similar-ish choice.

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 18/01/2024 15:18

Maddox is dreadful! My DC have names that I suggested but DH loves them too. When we didn’t know if DD1 was a girl, I suggested a boy name and my DH didn’t like it so it came off the table. No reason at all why you can’t say no to Maddox if you don’t like it.

Onelife2024 · 18/01/2024 15:23

Agree with pp that you need to both like the name.

Max is my favourite M name.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.