My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Is Morgan American sounding/Chavvy on a girl?

80 replies

hcarter8 · 06/01/2024 13:43

I'm aware that Morgan is a Welsh name but I know it was very popular for girls in the US about 25 years ago, would you assume anything if you heard it on a girl?

I prefer more modern names over traditional names and me and dh love Morgan for a girl but our family members seem to think it's odd. It been slightly more popular for boys in the UK so maybe that's why but don't want it to come across as (I hate this word) "chavvy". A lot of the comments about it from our family were that it sounds very "American sounding" for a girl. I'm not sure if I should take that as an insult or notHmm

We like the name so we will probably choose it either way but I know people are very honest on here so I would appreciate your thoughts?

OP posts:
Wytchy · 06/01/2024 18:49

SweetPalOMine · 06/01/2024 18:37

Scottish (and northern English) first born boys were often given the mother's maiden name as a first name, eg, Fletcher Christian.

I know a Scottish woman called Fletcher!

AngelaChasesBestLife · 06/01/2024 18:54

I like the French spelling - Morgane. Seems to soften it and sounds lovely.

PersephonePomegranate23 · 06/01/2024 18:58

I also think of Morgan La Fey.

Himawarigirl · 06/01/2024 19:05

I’ve always loved it and it was high on my list but I know my husband wasn’t convinced. I settled for naming my laptop Morgan, but it would suit a little girl much better 🙂

fortnumsfinest · 06/01/2024 19:45

I know a lovely Morgan but she is early 20's so that might tie in with the pp's opinions on it being quite dated now

mathanxiety · 06/01/2024 20:08

KirstenBlest · 06/01/2024 18:34

@mathanxiety , are Scottish girls given Scottish surnames as first names?

Those named Greer, Bailey, Riley,, Hailey, Harper and Taylor have been gi en surnames as names...

The tradition of using a father's or grandfather's first name and adding -ina to it is also notable in Scotland, and also the tradition of inckuding a mother's maiden name as a middle name.

My point being that surnames as first names for girls are neither 'chavvy' nor exclusively 'American' (fungible terms in the minds of many here, unfortunately).

Spaghettieis · 06/01/2024 20:13

I like it! And I normally don’t like surname names/American sounding names. I definitely prefer it on a girl rather than a boy, and know two British women with this name. Other M names I like: Morwenna, Marcella, Marissa, Mariana.

SparkyBlue · 06/01/2024 20:18

I know of several Morgan's who are all male and in their 50s or 60s

SemperIdem · 06/01/2024 22:29

I’m Welsh, live in Wales, not known many Morgan’s really but it’s been an even split between male and female, of the ones I’ve met.

It’s moved into a more gender neutral space than Elis, Dylan, Bryn have. Those are very much male names to me.

tortoiseshellcats · 07/01/2024 22:17

I like it a lot. There's also Morrigan which sounds similar but more unusual?

Wytchy · 08/01/2024 15:29

In Irish mythology Morrigan is the goddess of war and death.

TempleOfBloom · 08/01/2024 15:45

Sounds like a surname to me, and yes, probably American, and I would think boy rather than girl.

Gnomegnomegnome · 08/01/2024 15:49

I normally hate those surnames as names/modern names but really like Morgan.

(The only Morgans that I know are dogs though!)

Whataretheodds · 08/01/2024 15:57

To me, Morgan is a Welsh surname/male name used for girls in America.

I like Morgana (per the Arthurian legend) or Morgane for a girl.

Similarly Meredith (Meredydd) is a Welsh surname/male name used as a girl's first name mainly in the US. I like it better than Morgan for a girl but also like Mererid which is a (Welsh) girl's name.

Yardley42 · 08/01/2024 16:18

No, it's Arthurian, as in Morgan le Fay. I think witchy/hippy rather than American. I know quite a cool Morgan in her 30s, haven't come across any others.

itsannie86 · 16/01/2024 12:02

No? It's also a very popular name in France (Morgane) and the Morgan I know is actually an aristocrat and the most feminine girl I know - not "chavvy" or masculine...

The nickname "Mogs" and "Morgs" are cute too!

JadeSeahorse · 16/01/2024 12:35

Lovely name, OP. 👍

Please don't worry as my dd has a name which is very popular in the U.S. - not used much in the UK.

I often see comments on MNet about it being awful, chavvy etc. etc. on the odd occasion someone suggests it yet in the real world everyone who encounters our DD thinks it is beautiful and it really suits her. (She is 30 now so had the name for many years but still pretty unusual in the UK.).

If you really wanted it to sound more Welsh you could consider adding an "a" at the end making it Morgana but lovely name either way.

Woop62 · 16/01/2024 12:46

I have a daughter named Morgan, she is primary school age. I’ve had lots of compliments about her name, she’s the only Morgan in the school so it’s not a common name where I live. I’ve tried to not take any offence to previous comments 🙈

KirstenBlest · 16/01/2024 12:47

@itsannie86 popular name in France (Morgane)  Yes. It's pretty.

@Whataretheodds Similarly Meredith (Meredydd) is a Welsh surname/male name used as a girl's first name mainly in the US. I like it better than Morgan for a girl but also like Mererid which is a (Welsh) girl's name.
Meredydd is a boy's name and Mererid is a Welsh form of Margaret.

@JadeSeahorse If you really wanted it to sound more Welsh you could consider adding an "a" at the end making it Morgana but lovely name either way.
The -a doesn't make it more Welsh. In Welsh it would be pronounced Morr-ganna not More-ga(r)na.

KirstenBlest · 16/01/2024 12:48

@Woop62 , if you like it and she likes it then that's perfect.

JadeSeahorse · 16/01/2024 12:51

Sorry @KirstenBlest!

Not to offend anyone who is Welsh but as a non Welsh person I always think Morgana SOUNDS Welsh.

However it's pronounced it still sounds great IMO.

GoodHeavens99 · 16/01/2024 12:52

ForgotwhatIcameinherefor · 06/01/2024 13:48

Morgue for short..?

My maiden name is Morgan, and no one has ever called me Morgue!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

KirstenBlest · 16/01/2024 12:59

@JadeSeahorse , Morgan sounds different in Welsh too. MORR-gann not More-gun.
I think Morgane is Breton. The one I know is breton.

Whataretheodds · 16/01/2024 13:02

@KirstenBlest yes, that's what I said

KirstenBlest · 16/01/2024 13:15

Meredydd is a boy's name and Mererid is a Welsh form of Margaret.
Both of these have the stress on the penultimate syllable

Arthur sounds quite different in Welsh too

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.