My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Ruadh or other Irish names?

8 replies

pontipinemum · 20/12/2023 09:27

Massively jumping the gun here but I am already thinking of names. Also we are both Irish and live in Ireland btw.

I loved Ruairí when I was pregnant with DS but when I told the MW she said oh my bf is Rory, I said no Ruairí she said 'same thing' and my mind was made up! We went with Pádraig.

I'm pregnant again and trying to think of names. I saw Ruadh mentioned somewhere else and thought it sounded loved. It seems to be an Irish/ Scottish nickname for red headed? DS is red and it is strong on both sides of the family so it's very possible again.

Ruadhán is nice as well and similar.

Ruadh = Roo - ahh
Ruadhán = Roo-on or Roo-awn, but I would worry it might sound like ruin if said fast

Neither DH or I can speak Irish much, we both only did it until primary school, so any help on pronunciation/ spelling is much appreciated.

OP posts:
BigBoysDontCry · 20/12/2023 09:32

I like either and ruairi (or any of the other spellings). I'm in Scotland and there is a definite difference in pronunciation from Rory but I think they all have the same stem meaning red.

BabyYoshke · 20/12/2023 09:32

I’d go back to Ruairí - it’s nicer than Ruadh or Ruadhán and there really aren’t that many Rorys around in Ireland to get confused with.

TwirlBar · 20/12/2023 11:48

I think I'd go with Ruairí too, maybe with Rua as a short form, but the others are nice too. I never thought of Ruadhán sounding like ruin, but I think you could be right actually.
Then again, maybe wait and see what hair colour he has. It might be a bit odd to have two boys, one a red head, the other not...and the red-haired child called Pádraig and the dark-haired (for example) child called Ruadh/Rua.

BigBoysDontCry · 20/12/2023 11:54

We have a broad range of hair colour in my family, dark, mid brown, red, fair etc. DHs are mostly very dark (Irish background).

Younger DS is called Ciar (not Ciaran as we didn't think he'd be little) it means dark, he was born very dark. Was blond as a toddler and young child, now chestnut brown and still lighter than his brother. Great plans and all that... 😁

Whatnowfgs · 20/12/2023 11:59

I know a Ruadh but she is a girl. Maybe it's used for both sexes.

OhpoorMe · 20/12/2023 12:48

I know a Ruairí and everyone gets his name right no issue!

pontipinemum · 20/12/2023 14:22

Thanks all, TBF I have heard Ruairí a few times since and not Rory. I must make sure there are no others in the family. One of DHs cousins child is called Padraic I know it can't matter too much since if we didn't know that before we clearly aren't close but we have the same (not common) surname. In a very small town about 1,000 people with maybe another 500 surrounding in little villages so I have already subjected DS to being no that that Padraig/ Padraic 'Smith' the other one .

OP posts:
theduchessofspork · 20/12/2023 16:15

BabyYoshke · 20/12/2023 09:32

I’d go back to Ruairí - it’s nicer than Ruadh or Ruadhán and there really aren’t that many Rorys around in Ireland to get confused with.

Yes I would too

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.