My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Opinions please

47 replies

Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 11:57

We’re having a girl and there are lots of names I like but none I love or that I’m 100% sure on. I’d love opinions on the names on my current list to help me narrow it down (if you don’t like them please say why).

I’ve scoured through the top 1000 names so don’t necessarily need new suggestions unless it’s something you really think I wouldn’t have come across yet!

Otherwise, these are my favourites so I’d just love to get opinions on which you prefer and why and any you’d rule out.

• Etta
  • Margot
  • Ophelia
  • Camille
  • Emily
  • Octavia - with the nickname Occie.
  • Caroline - with the nn Carrie.
  • Eleanor - with no nn as don’t like the nn Ellie.
  • Catherine - I love the nickname Kitty but strongly dislike Kathy!
  • Mariella - I’d love to use this name because we could use the nn Marie which was my grandma’s name but is it a bit “frilly” and less sophisticated for an adult woman than the other names?
  • Felicity - I love this name and the nicknames flick and fliss and DH likes it too but he worries it sounds too much like felatio and she might get teased at school!

Thanks mumsnetters!
OP posts:
Mumofgirls2017 · 15/12/2023 12:16
  • Etta- I like this one. But I’d have it short for Henrietta/ Harriet/ Juliet/ violet etc
  • Margot- it’s growing on me but can’t quite love this and similarity to maggot spelling
  • Ophelia- nice but not best meaning
  • Camille- maybe ok if you’re French will get confused for Camilla though and assoc w Parker Bowles
  • Emily- I find it a bit dull
  • Octavia - with the nickname Occie. I know 2 grown Octavia’s! I find it a bit pretentious though personally.
  • Caroline - with the nn Carrie. It’s ok but dated. Assoc with someone over 30.
  • Eleanor - with no nn as don’t like the nn Ellie. Yes agree don’t like Ellie but I’d worry it’s inevitable.
  • Catherine - I love the nickname Kitty but strongly dislike Kathy! I think you could call her Kitty fine people don’t tend to nn Kathy these days.
  • Mariella - I’d love to use this name because we could use the nn Marie which was my grandma’s name but is it a bit “frilly” and less sophisticated for an adult woman than the other names? It’s not to my taste no particular reason but I think it’s nice connection and can’t see a problem with it
  • Felicity - I love this name and the nicknames flick and fliss and DH likes it too but he worries it sounds too much like felatio and she might get teased at school! I wouldn’t have considered the felatio thing at all!! I know several. It’s a nice name, not to my taste but again more associations I have personallyz
Riverlee · 15/12/2023 12:20
  • Etta - dislike, unless nn for longer name (Henrietta?)
  • Margot - ok-ish
  • Ophelia-ok-ish
  • Camille-ok
  • Emily-prefer Emma
  • Octavia - with the nickname Occie. -like
  • Caroline - with the nn Carrie. - not keen
  • Eleanor - with no nn as don’t like the nn Ellie. -ok
  • Catherine - I love the nickname Kitty but strongly dislike Kathy! -live Kitty as nn
  • Mariella - I’d love to use this name because we could use the nn Marie which was my grandma’s name but is it a bit “frilly” and less sophisticated for an adult woman than the other names? - my favourite from your list
  • Felicity - I love this name and the nicknames flick and fliss and DH likes it too but he worries it sounds too much like felatio and she might get teased at school! - love, and I’ve never associated dh’s link
MumChp · 15/12/2023 12:23

They can work fine all of them.

MilkChocolateCookie · 15/12/2023 12:24

My favourites are Caroline, Juliet and Felicity - love the nicknames too. I also like Emily, Catherine (prefer Kate to Kitty) and Mariella. Not so keen on the others.

MilkChocolateCookie · 15/12/2023 12:25

Oh sorry, I see that Juliet nn Etta was a pp's suggestion not yours - anyway I really like it!

Newsenmum · 15/12/2023 12:31

Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 11:57

We’re having a girl and there are lots of names I like but none I love or that I’m 100% sure on. I’d love opinions on the names on my current list to help me narrow it down (if you don’t like them please say why).

I’ve scoured through the top 1000 names so don’t necessarily need new suggestions unless it’s something you really think I wouldn’t have come across yet!

Otherwise, these are my favourites so I’d just love to get opinions on which you prefer and why and any you’d rule out.

• Etta
  • Margot
  • Ophelia
  • Camille
  • Emily
  • Octavia - with the nickname Occie.
  • Caroline - with the nn Carrie.
  • Eleanor - with no nn as don’t like the nn Ellie.
  • Catherine - I love the nickname Kitty but strongly dislike Kathy!
  • Mariella - I’d love to use this name because we could use the nn Marie which was my grandma’s name but is it a bit “frilly” and less sophisticated for an adult woman than the other names?
  • Felicity - I love this name and the nicknames flick and fliss and DH likes it too but he worries it sounds too much like felatio and she might get teased at school!

Thanks mumsnetters!

Etta - ok, quite sweet I suppose
Margot - absolutely done do death. Margot Robbie everywhere.
Ophelia - bit tragic but nice name, will get called Fee. Sounds posh.
Camille - I like but how would you pronounce it? It’s cami but lots will say the ll sound.
Emily - no no too boring sorry
Octavia - feels very pretension
Caroline - bit boring
Eleanor - also a little dull and she will definitely get called Ellie. Unless you call her Nori or something? Even then she will get Ellie.
Catherine - will probably also get Cat.
Mariella - I actually like this. It’s pretty, different and has meaning for you.
Felicity - also a lovely standard name. No way she will be teased like that.

yikesanotherbooboo · 15/12/2023 12:44

Etta is nice as a nn for Marietta or Henrietta.
I'm tired of Margot
I'm not a fan of Camille ( Camilla is better but you may get stuck down the Millie/ Milly nn tunnel.
Ophelia is difficult.
Emily is alright
Octavia isn't to my taste and I don't like Occie
I like Caroline
Stay away from Eleanor if you don't like Ellie
I love Catherine ; not many Cathys around currently but it will come back due the naturalness of it as a nn and the Brontes.You could circumvent by always calling her Kate or Kitty so that friends don't know about Catherine.
I love Mariella and the nn Mari. I don't think it is frillier than Ophelia, Emily etc.
Felicity is also a lovely name and I think your DH's fears are OTT. I don't like Flick particularly but do like the complete name and would stick with that.

QuackyDuckMcDucky · 15/12/2023 12:54

Love Felicity out of your list. I don’t think that she would get teased at all.

Really dislike Etta, don’t get the love for it at all. Or Margot.

Occie is a weird harsh sounding nickname.

Eleanor is extremely likely to end up as Ellie regardless.

octoberfarm · 15/12/2023 12:58

Would Marietta work to give you both Marie and Etta as options?

Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 12:58

Thanks all, really helpful comments!

I’m not considering Camilla because of the strong Parker-Bowles association a PP mentioned and I also just prefer Camille which we’d pronounce “Cammie” but it would no doubt be setting her up for a lifetime of correcting people!

OP posts:
Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 13:00

I’ve never heard of that before! Is it real name or one you’ve made up as a portmanteau of the two?

OP posts:
MrsSamR · 15/12/2023 13:07

I'm a bit biased as my eldest daughter is called Ophelia so I obviously love the name. I also like Margot and Felicity. But to me Ophelia is the stand out option! :)

Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 13:09

I’ve just looked it up and it is a real name! Thanks so much octoberfarm, I love it. What do others think of Marietta?

OP posts:
Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 13:11

MrsSamR · 15/12/2023 13:07

I'm a bit biased as my eldest daughter is called Ophelia so I obviously love the name. I also like Margot and Felicity. But to me Ophelia is the stand out option! :)

It is a lovely name and I love Fee for a nn. How old is your DD MrsSamR? What are your other DDs names if you don’t mind me asking? Assuming you have more since you said eldest!

OP posts:
MrsSamR · 15/12/2023 13:25

Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 13:11

It is a lovely name and I love Fee for a nn. How old is your DD MrsSamR? What are your other DDs names if you don’t mind me asking? Assuming you have more since you said eldest!

I don't love Fee personally (one of the ladies at her nursery used to call her this and it used to make me cringe!) We often call her O actually.

Very outing potentially but my other daughter is Perdita nn Perdy.

Are you sensing a Shakespeare theme?!

MrsSamR · 15/12/2023 13:25

Sorry forgot to say she's 3 and a half.

PickledScrump · 15/12/2023 13:39

Etta was on our list, it’s lovely.

I have a little Felicity so obviously that’s my favourite from your list.

Margot, Ophelia and Octavia have all risen sharply in popularity and I think will feel very dated in a few years.

Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 13:47

PickledScrump · 15/12/2023 13:39

Etta was on our list, it’s lovely.

I have a little Felicity so obviously that’s my favourite from your list.

Margot, Ophelia and Octavia have all risen sharply in popularity and I think will feel very dated in a few years.

Thank you. What do you think of Marietta as a long form version?

That was my reservation about Margot too! I’ve liked it since I was 14 and met a French Margaux on French exchange so it’s unfortunate that it’s suddenly become so popular.

Octavia currently ranks at 373 and Ophelia 116 so they’re still not popular and sound classic to me but they are increasing in popularity like you say so might become more common in the next few years.

OP posts:
PickledScrump · 15/12/2023 13:57

@Internationalpony personally I like Etta as the full name, I don’t like Marietta. I do like Maria though

Round where I am I think Octavia and Ophelia are about on par with Margot for under 4s. I think once this years ONS report comes out we’ll see them jump massively. Ophelia will definitely be double digits.

octoberfarm · 15/12/2023 13:58

I'm out in the US (originally from England) and it's the name of a sweet little river town near us. But definitely real name! I think it's really pretty.

Pemba · 15/12/2023 13:59

I like your names but I would say that you can't control the diminutives, sometimes they just evolve naturally.

Eleanor and Catherine are lovely classic names, have you thought that Eleanor can often be Nell rather than Ellie, and Catherine can be Kate/Katie? I know Kitty has suddenly become popular again after many decades, but it does seem a little bit girlish and maybe slightly twee to me. Because of the associations with cats and the Hello Kitty brand maybe.

Octavia is nice, but I'm really not sure about Occie! The only short forms I've heard are Tavia or Tavy, which sound nicer to me.

Ophelia is my least favourite, because it sounds like 'Oh feel ya' and also the tragic story of the Shakespeare character.

I really don't think kids would get that association with Felicity would they?? Shock And there are a fair few Felicitys around now, so they should be familiar with it as a name.

Marchbug · 15/12/2023 14:03

Marietta! Love this! It's unusual, classy and has meaning for you. I think it's perfect. Mari and Etta are both lovely too :)

Surprisenewtcatcher · 15/12/2023 14:04

Marietta is lovely and you like both possible nicknames - perfect!

Internationalpony · 15/12/2023 14:25

Pemba · 15/12/2023 13:59

I like your names but I would say that you can't control the diminutives, sometimes they just evolve naturally.

Eleanor and Catherine are lovely classic names, have you thought that Eleanor can often be Nell rather than Ellie, and Catherine can be Kate/Katie? I know Kitty has suddenly become popular again after many decades, but it does seem a little bit girlish and maybe slightly twee to me. Because of the associations with cats and the Hello Kitty brand maybe.

Octavia is nice, but I'm really not sure about Occie! The only short forms I've heard are Tavia or Tavy, which sound nicer to me.

Ophelia is my least favourite, because it sounds like 'Oh feel ya' and also the tragic story of the Shakespeare character.

I really don't think kids would get that association with Felicity would they?? Shock And there are a fair few Felicitys around now, so they should be familiar with it as a name.

DH went to quite a rough comprehensive school (DD won’t!) so he was thinking about boys at his school when they were teenagers 😂. But you’re right it’s quite a common name now so I really don’t think it would be an issue!

OP posts:
Seamist22 · 15/12/2023 14:39

My favourites from your list are Emily (although very commonly used), Caroline (I like the nn Carrie or Callie), Eleanor (but I like the nn Ellie), Catherine (but prefer nn Katie).

I quite like Margot, Etta (but as a nn for Henrietta or similar), Camille and Felicity

Not so keen on Ophelia or Octavia, which sound pretentious to me (sorry).

Mariella / Marietta I hadn’t heard before - they could grow on me - I love the fact they have meaning to you with your Grandmother 🥰

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.