My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Emmelyn / Emmeline

13 replies

jewellyette · 25/11/2023 17:59

Thinking about the name Emmeline, but prefer the Emmelyn pronunciation (like Evelyn?) to Emme-LEEN, which I think is standard?

How would you pronounce, and is there a spelling that isn't made up that would give the pronunciation I prefer?

I don't really like made up names or spellings generally (and not sure if I think Emmelyn looks a bit try hard 'yoonique'?!) so wondering if the pregnancy hormones are just pickling my brain!

OP posts:
jewellyette · 25/11/2023 18:00

Also a close friend's child is Emily... too close? 🙈

OP posts:
TheBirdintheCave · 25/11/2023 18:02

There's Emlyn? But that's a Welsh boy's name... I don't think the name with that pronunciation exists for girls I'm afraid!

RosaElize · 25/11/2023 18:39

I would think it was a southern belle name, like Emma-Lynne?!

Emmalyn seems to be a valid spelling , but it reads a bit like a medical brand name to me
Personally i’d choose Evelyn, or just Emmeline

Wouldn’t worry about too close to Emily at all

LucyEleanorModeratz · 25/11/2023 19:27

I’ve got a 5 week old Emmeline (to rhyme with ween) and I adore her name and we’ve had such a positive reception to it. Nobody has assumed the pronunciation was like Emmelyn, but we’ve had a few assume it was Emmeline to rhyme with wine (which I can’t stand). Also been misheard for Emily a few times.

If you type ‘Emmelyn’ into Google you get a decent number of pages on it so it’s certainly not ‘yoonique’. Good luck in choosing!

theduchessofspork · 25/11/2023 19:31

Emmelyn is a bit Hillbilly!

I’d imagine it was Emma-lyn if I heard it

Emmeline is said Emma-leen

How about Elowen instead?

MerryChristmasToYou · 25/11/2023 19:39

Pick a different name. One with a standard pronunciation you like.
Elowen will get different pronunciations.

bellocchild · 25/11/2023 19:53

Emmelyn is far too similar to boys' name Emlyn.

theduchessofspork · 26/11/2023 10:50

MerryChristmasToYou · 25/11/2023 19:39

Pick a different name. One with a standard pronunciation you like.
Elowen will get different pronunciations.

Elowen is EL-oh-wen. It’s Cornish, has become fairly popular outside Cornwall. As far as I know this is the only way to say it.

All2Well · 26/11/2023 10:55

I agree with others that it's too close to the boys name, Emlyn. That's what I immediately thought of.

Emma-Lynne or Emme-Lyn either hyphenated or as two names (like Anne Marie) would be the best bet if you wanted that specfic pronounciation.

MerryChristmasToYou · 26/11/2023 11:00

@theduchessofspork , I thought it was El-OW-en like in 'Cornish is a close relative of the Welsh language and the two share a common cultural heritage. As with Welsh, three syllable names in Cornish generally put the stress on the middle syllable, meaning Elowen is pronounced el-OH-en or sometimes el-OO-en.'

cf. Endellion, Kerenza, Demelza etc. All have the stress on the last-but-one syllable.

TheBirdintheCave · 26/11/2023 12:46

@theduchessofspork The PP is right. Elowen is el-OH-en with the stress on the middle syllable as it's Cornish. Kind of like 'el' tacked onto the front of the name Owen.

All2Well · 26/11/2023 13:32

I've never heard ELowen either.

Only ever elOWen.

MerryChristmasToYou · 26/11/2023 14:01

My DM is welsh and when I said Debbie was a pretty name (long time ago) she said 'But it's short for Deh-BO-rah'.
That's how weird the 'wrong' syllable being stressed sounds to me.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.