My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Changing mine and my husbands name

14 replies

nbw · 22/11/2023 17:46

Maybe not the right threat but bear with me!

Our baby is due in May and when we got married we never changed our names. We always intended to but life took over.

Firstly. Does anyone have tips on how to do it. The process online just seems to be explained different on every website

Then does anyone have an idea of how long this takes?

We will be going away in March so ideally would do it after this so are passports still work and then having them changed in time for the birth certificate

Also if we change our names do our old passports still work. This seems like a dumb question but I can't find a clear answer!

Thanks!

OP posts:
QueSyrahSyrah · 22/11/2023 18:33

Can't advise on the first questions, but as for your passports are concerned if you don't want to pay to change them you'll just have to book holidays in your old names until they expire, and then change / renew at the same time.

This may of course present an issue when travelling with your baby if they have a different surname to both of yours.

DaughterNo2 · 22/11/2023 18:36

Why is ur husband changing his name 🤷‍♀️

CurlewKate · 22/11/2023 18:36

Hyphenate. Sorted.

nbw · 22/11/2023 18:36

Because we are changing to a double barrel name

OP posts:
Bobtheamazinggingerdog · 22/11/2023 18:37

Why shouldn't he?

Bobtheamazinggingerdog · 22/11/2023 18:38

You can both do a deed poll online though I think you can just use your marriage certificate to change yours. If your passports are in old names book the tickets in the same name.

DaughterNo2 · 22/11/2023 18:40

Bobtheamazinggingerdog · 22/11/2023 18:37

Why shouldn't he?

only as OP didn’t state double barrel names. Just asked? It’s an open forum 🙄

Portach · 22/11/2023 18:41

Just keep your own names and give your child both?

nbw · 22/11/2023 18:42

Portach · 22/11/2023 18:41

Just keep your own names and give your child both?

We did think about that. But we both want to change them to match. Create our new family with our own name. I know it's extra hassle but it feels right

OP posts:
Bobtheamazinggingerdog · 22/11/2023 18:43

DaughterNo2 · 22/11/2023 18:40

only as OP didn’t state double barrel names. Just asked? It’s an open forum 🙄

But it's such a weird question? Obviously he is changing his name because he wants to. Nobody ever asks women why they are changing their names!

stardust25609 · 22/11/2023 19:06

Hey we've just done this. You don't have a "legal" name as such in the UK so don't need to register it anywhere, just download a deed poll template from a free website online, print a few and get your 2 witnesses to sign. You can then send these off as proof of name change. We did drivers license first, banks and changed them at work. Passport needs an extra piece of proof that you're actively using your new name so did that second (ie payslip). Fine to use old name on passport until you want to change it, just make sure you book travel in the matching surname. Make sure you also include things like HMRC, drs, council tax etc. There's lists online so you can check you've got everything. It's a bit of a hassle doing all the forms but relatively easy once you get going.

Editing to add: the things that take time as such are just getting back the new drivers licence and passport, but these didn't take more than a few weeks for us.

oodles50 · 22/11/2023 20:52

Both my DH and I changed to double barrelled when we got married. We never did a deed poll - everywhere accepted our marriage certificate (for both of us) to change names, including passports, driving licences, banks etc etc.

Tillytilly5 · 22/11/2023 21:09

If you're changing your name to another name that's on your wedding certificate i.e. taking the other partner's name or double-barrelling then all you need to do is use your wedding certificate, no need for deed poll or anything else like that. Just apply to change the name on your passport and use the wedding certificate as "proof".

And it's the same for men and women (something my mum couldn't get her head around for my DH!)

theduchessofspork · 23/11/2023 00:09

Come on..

You must be aware that couples double barrel their names quite often these days? What else would she mean?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.