Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Baby names

My friends say my husband and I have chosen 'cruel' names

364 replies

BooksBooks · 20/02/2023 12:56

My husband and I are expecting our first child together in early June this year and we're both a mixture of nerves and excitement. We are both fans of traditional names and so have decided on Arthur for a boy or Edith for a girl (we've decided to wait until the actual birth to find out the gender). I think these names are really sweet and could work for both a child and adult. Both our families have said they love the names, however when I mentioned it to my friends they started laughing and told me it was cruel to name our child something so old fashioned as they'll be ridiculed at school. My husband and I don't see where they're coming from but I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this?

OP posts:
Please
or

Gizlotsmum · 20/02/2023 12:57

Love both names, ignore your friends

Please
or

ToyotaCorolla · 20/02/2023 12:57

Arthur and Edith are lovely names

Your friends sound vile.

Please
or

Suzi888 · 20/02/2023 12:58

Nothing wrong with the names- not a huge fan of Edith personally. Old fashioned names have made a come back.

Please
or

WhatAmIDoingWrong123 · 20/02/2023 12:58

Your friends don’t know much about what kids are being called atm then. Every second baby boy I know is called Arthur atm so I can’t see any being picked on there. Edith/Edie type names are also popular so again, can’t see what they’re talking about!

Please
or

evemillbank · 20/02/2023 12:59

I also love both of those names

Please
or

NoDairyNoProblem · 20/02/2023 12:59

Your friend is horrid - sound like she was that bully at school.

Please
or

Wbeezer · 20/02/2023 12:59

Young children will have have no idea that Arthur and Edith are Old fashioned as their grandparents will probably be called names that were popular in the 60s.

Please
or

Suprima · 20/02/2023 12:59

They won’t be ridiculed as there will be lots of children with similar or the same names. Kids won’t see it as ‘old people’ names. Both choices are trendy as well as traditional, party the second wave of traditional names after the Stanleys and the Ivys and the Archies and the Elsie’s.

I know about 4 little Edith nn Edies, all under 3. Arthur is very popular too.

Please
or

emilyant · 20/02/2023 13:00

Beautiful names! Your friend is horrid! I have had a few friends who when they tell me the names they have chosen I am a little unsure but I woudl never say anything and within a week it feels really normal anyway! And always suits them really well! I love Edith - I have name envy now!

Please
or

Mumoftwoinprimary · 20/02/2023 13:00

I don’t think your friend knows many little children.

Classrooms are full of Arthurs and Georges and Stanleys and Betsys and Elsies. I don’t know any Ediths but she will fit right in. Arthur will probably be one of 3 in his year at secondary school….

Please
or

Marmite27 · 20/02/2023 13:00

I know loads of little boys called Arthur, it’s becoming really popular. I only know one Edith though, and she’s about 11 now.

Please
or

Coxspurplepippin · 20/02/2023 13:00

I'd hate to think what you're 'friends' would chose. Arthur and Edith are both lovely names, no spelling or pronunciation issues, both have nice nicknames for small children.

Please
or

Lavenderzen · 20/02/2023 13:01

They are lovely names. Take no notice of anyone else.

Please
or

Fenella123 · 20/02/2023 13:01

Sounds both forward looking without being too risky.
BUT ANYWAY it's really rude to be like that. I knew someone who chose names for their kids which (in both cases) I had most recently seen used for dogs. But it wasn't my kid and it wasn't as if the names were Syphilis and Chlamydia or anything so I did the correct thing and said nothing!

Please
or

FinnRussell · 20/02/2023 13:02

Bollocks. They're both great names and not at all out of place for any kid in 2023. Your friends are arseholes.

Please
or

Chimna · 20/02/2023 13:03

Do you friends have DC? I know of 4 DC's called Arthur and an Edith (Edie). Both have been on our baby name lists. Ofcourse they won't be ridiculed! Older names are in fashion, many of their friends will have similar names.

Please
or

Aurorabored · 20/02/2023 13:04

Arthur was the 4th most popular boys name in 2021 (the 2022 stats come out this summer.) It’s been in the top five since 2019. Edith has been back in the top 100 names for girls since around then too.

Please
or

StopFeckingFaffing · 20/02/2023 13:05

Telling people your name choices before birth is never a good idea!

Arthur is extremely popular for baby boys at the moment, I reckon it must be heading for no. 1 in the official stats. Edith not quite as popular but plenty around so hardly out there. Your friends clearly don't know many young children.

Please
or

mymeatballsmymeatballs · 20/02/2023 13:05

They're lovely names. I know an Arthur and Edith/Edie who are siblings. So cute!

Please
or

WhisperingAutistic · 20/02/2023 13:06

Absolutely nothing wrong with those names! They are popular if anything. She's just being horrible.

Please
or

Sunriseinwonderland · 20/02/2023 13:06

"Evil"? Maybe if you called them Adolf and Eva but otherwise no just sweet normal names.

Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 20/02/2023 13:07

Both are fine names - I especially like Edith.

Please
or

Rellywobble · 20/02/2023 13:07

Both really lovely names …hate to think what your so called friends have called their children!! Think you probably need to ditch them TBH !

Please
or

Lcb123 · 20/02/2023 13:07

Names are lovely. But why you’d commit to names let alone tell anyone else is beyond me.

Please
or

wellpaddedintherear · 20/02/2023 13:07

I know an Edith-she’s in her 20’s and a lovely lady

arthurs are becoming very popular-old names are back in fashion-I’ve met so many George’s,Malcolm’s,Henry’s,Lennies,Ronnies-all ‘old’ names but none where anyone would bat an eyelid at

both lovely names that won’t stand out for the wrong reasons

Please
or