Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Baby names

Baby Name Lost its shine due to trauma

10 replies

TraumaQueenMama · 25/01/2023 15:01

Hi,

Was in the process of naming my two day old baby when we were blue lighted to hospital. It was very traumatic and I'm still waiting for news but am planning to come back to this thread when I'm hopefully in a better place emotionally and mentally and I hope we get better news after a bleak outlook was painted for us.

Anyway, I'm not 100 percent sure I will use the beautiful name we picked out as it feels a bit tainted. Not sure.

Was wondering, if anyone has gone through similar firstly. Did you use the name? Did it spoil it?

Secondly, please hit me with your favourite baby girl names that I can read when we hopefully get released with better news.

Thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

Iamclearlyamug · 25/01/2023 15:03

I'm so sorry you're going through this, everything crossed that you get better news soon.

I have a very random assortment of favourite girls names

Paisley
Georgiana
Petra
Tabitha
Arabella

Flowers 💐 for you

Please
or

Kentlassie · 25/01/2023 15:08

I had a similar but different situation. Dd1’s name was picked but then she was born v poorly and spent 4 months in nicu. I couldn’t bear to call her her name and called her ‘the baby’ for 9 months. It was totally down to the trauma of what happened. Could it be a similar situation? She’s still the same baby as when you picked her name. Hope you get some good news soon.

Please
or

Nutsabouttopic · 25/01/2023 15:17

What type of names do you like ?
Modern, old fashioned, floral, unusual, gaelic

Please
or

Matleavemummy · 25/01/2023 15:25

im so sorry. My boy went to NICU at 24 hours old and my husband and I hadn’t officially decided on the name and we couldn’t bring ourselves to think about anything other than his health. He was knowing as Baby Surname until 3 days old, which was awful - I felt so guilty he didn’t have a name.

in the end we named him the name we always would have done, and I suggest you do too. If it’s what you dreamed of just do it, no other name will come close!

Please
or

Overreactionpossibly · 25/01/2023 15:36

Not the same but I had a very traumatic birth and really struggled with recovery. Did was hard work and I wasn't up to it.
I remember, when she was about 7vdays old, absolutely hating her name. Really hating it.
I came out the other end and I absolutely love it again.
There is no rush to name your baby. Take your time and give yourself a chance to heal before deciding anything.

Congratulations on your lovely new baby.🎱🐻

Please
or

Overreactionpossibly · 25/01/2023 15:37

Sorry, I have no idea where the magic 8 ball came from.
It was meant to be flowers 🌺

Please
or

Xdecd · 25/01/2023 15:40

I had a slightly different situation where we had a name we loved picked out for a long time through my uneventful pregnancy. I then had an extremely traumatic birth (ending in crash resuscitation and baby spending 3 weeks in NICU). We decided to stick with the name we had chosen and I don't regret it. Over time the trauma has faded and I no longer associate the name with it and I still love the name. It's an extremely personal decision though and I could understand why you'd want to change it. I will say that we listened a lot to a particular song that contains my baby's name at the time and every time I hear that song it all comes back! That's the only way it bothers me now.

I like short, simple girls' names, some of my favourites are Rose, Leah, Mabel, Joan, Faye. Hope your little one is better soon.

Please
or

isthismylifenow · 25/01/2023 15:45

I'm so sorry you are going through a difficult time. Would it help to not think of names right now, and call baby Baby Your Surname for the next little while.

I do understand though OP, having been through a similar trauma with my newborn. 💐

Please
or

Lmgify · 25/01/2023 15:56

I had a very complicated pregnancy, there was a point where we weren’t sure if they’ll have to deliver him, if they had then he would’ve been very premature and might not make it, so we picked a name under a lot of stress. Everything ended up being ok but it took me about 10 months to warm up to the name and stop calling him baby boy

Please
or

Junebug22 · 25/01/2023 21:30

So sorry to hear that. I hope all goes well.

I had similar feelings when my newborn unexpectedly ended up in NICU. He was known as Baby Surname and I felt like we were letting him down somehow but I just couldn’t process the situation, nevermind his name. I actually posted asking for suggestions for “strong baby names” because I’d completely gone off the one I’d loved. Someone in the thread gave me great advice by recommending I didn’t make any rushed decisions and let things settle. We ended up going with a different name in the end, a few days after baby had come home, but it had been one of my husband’s favourites all along. Which is my roundabout way of saying you might feel differently about baby’s name later. However I completely understand where you’re coming from.

Girl names I love:
Matilda/Tilly
Poppy
Phoebe
Adelaide
Rebecca
Hannah

Please
or