My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Ella….. and other suggestions?

48 replies

Helpnoname · 23/01/2023 16:11

Hello!

I am expecting my first baby next month and DH and I have always loved the name Ella. However, having spent a bit of time looking at name forums, it sounds as though Ella is VERY VERY popular (I do not know many children and had absolutely no idea it had become so popular!) which is putting me off a little.

It looks as though Ella reached its peak 10-20 years ago and is now on the decline (I think it was number 20 last year). Do you think it is still as popular? How many Ella’s do you know? I know it is not always liked on MN but would be great to hear your thoughts!

We like short names (have a v.long surname) and would love to hear any other suggestions you may have! Ideally looking for a short name that is both easy to spell and pronounce.

Thank you x

OP posts:
Fleur405 · 23/01/2023 22:06

I really like Ida. And I have an Erin so obviously like that too. She’s 10 months and we’ve only met one other so far. I think both are more interesting than Ella but Ella is a perfectly nice name.

Curlysusie · 23/01/2023 22:09

What about Ayla?

BridieConvert · 23/01/2023 22:26

Helpnoname · 23/01/2023 18:58

Thank you for all your replies and very surprised to see so many nice comments! We do love Ella and it is definitely our front runner ATM.

I grew up with a very common name and, whilst I didn’t really mind, was always know as name + initial at school (I also share my name with 4 other people in a team of 12 at work - it gets very confusing haha!)

Other names we like are:

Ada
Ida
Elle/ Elsie (although I think I still prefer Ella and not keen on Ellie)
Lyra
Erin
Zoe
Romy

What do you think about these? Stick with Ella?

I am biased (my eldest is called this) but Erin is my absolute favourite from your list ☺️ but I also still have a soft spot for Ella! Zoe was also on my shortlist

Vanillarose1 · 23/01/2023 22:39

I have an 11 year old called Elysia which we shorten to Ella. She's the only one in her year. I have loved the name Ella ever since Dr Green and Dr Corday named their baby Ella in ER but it rhymed with my surname at the time so went with the longer form of Elysia.

mathanxiety · 24/01/2023 01:28

I love Romy and Lyra from your list.

Theoldwoman · 24/01/2023 01:37

I have an Ella and her best friend is an Ella. There are heaps in their age group. I love love the name.
Mine was named after Ella Fitzgerald.
She loves her name. The

wingingit1987 · 24/01/2023 01:41

I have an Ella who is 2 and 2 of my colleagues have Ella’s who are the same age (I didn’t work there when I chose the name). We also have an Ada.

Mumofgirls2017 · 24/01/2023 07:06

Less common…

etta
elise
mila
lila
clara
lara
cora
orla
elsa
nell
rosa
willa
flora
leah
ayla

awakenme · 24/01/2023 07:11

My 6 year old is Ella. It was her great grandmother's name and we love it. We also have a long surname.

rcat74 · 24/01/2023 07:12

I have an Ella. It’s also my Auntie’s name and my great-grandmother’s name. I might be biased but I think it’s a beautiful name.

Spottypaperdoll · 24/01/2023 07:18

When I lived in the Midlands I knew about 4 Ella’s, I have only come across 1 in SW now.

Lots of Eva, Ida, Elsa, Ava, Lila though.

PurBal · 24/01/2023 07:19

I’ve met 2. One is around 30, the other is maybe 14. I like Ella.

midnightblue12 · 24/01/2023 07:24

Bella?

Penguinsista · 24/01/2023 09:29

If you love it use it

quietnightmare · 24/01/2023 09:40

It's such a lovely name

Other options

Ellis
Elia
Eleah
Elena
Elenor
Elara
Eleri
Eira
Isobella
Izabella
Arabella
Bella

IDontLikeMondays88 · 24/01/2023 09:41

What about Etta or Stella

WaltzingWaters · 24/01/2023 10:22

I’m in my 30’s and I’ve only ever known one Ella (who’s in her 20’s). Don’t know any kids called Ella. It’s lovely. Go for it!

Luredbyapomegranate · 24/01/2023 20:27

There are loads of Ellies and Elles and Ellas, rather than just Ellas - and some of them have full names like Eleanor and Elizabeth and some don’t.

Then on top of that you have all the Bellas, Elsies, Eliza and Elizabeths. I do think it’s true Ella isn’t as popular as it was, but there are SO many similar names around.

Ida is great
Zoe is great

Lyra is great but a bit overused and blurs with all the also very popular Lola/Lena/Lara/Leila/Luna/Leah/Lilas

Ada is quite overused and hard - Ida much nicer, or Adela

Erin is meh and a bit 90s. Ffion maybe?

Romy is Meh and a bit nothing - Romilly is ok

wingsofabird · 25/01/2023 11:29

Helpnoname · 23/01/2023 18:58

Thank you for all your replies and very surprised to see so many nice comments! We do love Ella and it is definitely our front runner ATM.

I grew up with a very common name and, whilst I didn’t really mind, was always know as name + initial at school (I also share my name with 4 other people in a team of 12 at work - it gets very confusing haha!)

Other names we like are:

Ada
Ida
Elle/ Elsie (although I think I still prefer Ella and not keen on Ellie)
Lyra
Erin
Zoe
Romy

What do you think about these? Stick with Ella?

Stick with Ella. Lovely name . I don't know any

Carryonmarion · 25/01/2023 17:53

My 26 year old is Ella and she said there is at least one girl in most of her classes with her name (high school teacher) but not sure about younger children, I also think it peaked and is on the way down. I didn't know any other Ellas in '96 and it didn't seem popular at all. Other names I considered at the time were Leah, Mia, Eve, Alexa & Honor.

CharitySchmarity · 25/01/2023 21:13

I like rather than dislike Ella, although it's not one of my favourites, and I have never met anyone apart from one very old lady who used it as a short form of another name, they've all been "just" Ella.

I like of like Ada, Elsie and Romy from your list too and I really like Zoe. Ella Zoe would be a nice combo, actually, since Zoe isn't one of those cliché middle names someone was talking about upthread.

Helpnoname · 26/01/2023 12:20

Thanks so much for all your replies and name suggestions! There are some great ones to add to the list.

Especially like:

Etta, Cora, Rosa, Orla and Ellis

Elena - how would you pronounce this? Is it Eh-lay-na, El-en-a, Eh-len-uh? or Eleanor?

and it looks like Zoe may be the fave out of original shortlist

@CharitySchmarity I love Ella Zoe! And also Zoe Ella (but perhaps a bit close to Zoella…?)

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

purplecorkheart · 26/01/2023 12:31

I know a couple of people in their 20s called Ella and a lady in her 50s

What about Leah as an alternative? Ellie is another option but I think that could be more popular than Ella now

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.