Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Baby names

Cohen - appropriate first name?

69 replies

Happygolucky233 · 20/01/2023 20:14

Love the sound and look of Cohen as a name. A quick google search suggests it’s a popular jewish surname.

Would it be disrespectful or have any negative connotations if we use Cohen as a first name, especially when we are not Jewish?

I’m not concerned about it being a surname - just like Taylor, Harvey, Mason etc - but wouldn’t want to offend.

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 20/01/2023 20:16

My understanding is that it's a very special name in Judaism, so may be more of an issue than an Old Testament name.

Please
or

DelphiniumBlue · 20/01/2023 20:18

It would be like naming someone Priest or Vicar or Pope. So could be problematic.

Please
or

LolaSmiles · 20/01/2023 20:20

I wouldn't because I believe that it's a particular honour surname linked to priest groups/branches of Judaism.

Cohen wouldn't be used by many observant Jewish people and a culturally significant surname on a non-jewish person would seen odd to me.

Please
or

NoraVanDoogle · 20/01/2023 20:20

It was and still is one of my favourite names ♥️♥️ it x

Please
or

Etinoxaurus · 20/01/2023 20:21

Don’t. As you’ve said it has significance in a culture that’s not yours. At best it’ll lead to a lifetime of explaining, worse offensive.
Conrad
Caelen
Coltyn (bit check the meaning)

Please
or

2tired2bewitty · 20/01/2023 20:22

There was a child in my dds class whose name I thought was Cohen but turned out to be a Turkish name that sounded very similar but was spelled differently. Might that work? I’ll try and find out what it was (dd is asleep).

Please
or

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 20/01/2023 20:23

Boy or girl?

Please
or

UglyNess · 20/01/2023 20:23

Coen is a Dutch name I believe. Sounds the same but without the meaning.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 20/01/2023 20:25

NoraVanDoogle · 20/01/2023 20:20

It was and still is one of my favourite names ♥️♥️ it x

It is lovely.

But in context.

Please
or

Lavendersparkles22 · 20/01/2023 20:26

I've taught 5 Cohens in secondary over the last 6 years. I've only heard it in this specific school (huge comp in East Central Scotland). So not unusual here, and I can't assume, but the children did not appear outwardly religious.

Please
or

Newoldme23 · 20/01/2023 20:28

I have a Cohen. I became obsessed with the name early on and then after almost losing him and spending lots of time talking to him ( whilst pregnant) I couldn’t bear to change it after he came through.

it’s not commonly found outside of the Jewish community and I’m always aware that some may find it offensive.

We do get a lot of compliments from people that are unaware of its origin

Please
or

YourWinter · 20/01/2023 20:30

No, it’s absolutely a common Jewish name and your child will forever be assumed to be Jewish. That may bother them when they’re older, even if you don’t care.

Please
or

SuperCarBlondy · 20/01/2023 20:32

I know a few families who have a Cohen. Their siblings are very much of the Jayden/Kayden/Lacey type vibe.

Please
or

BackT · 20/01/2023 20:41

It's inappropriate. Don't do it.

If you must, calm him Coen

Please
or

wednesdayrobyn · 20/01/2023 20:41

Perhaps another spelling would help? I have a friend with a Coen. (They are a Jewish family).

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 20/01/2023 20:44

As I understand it calling a child Cohen is considered disrespectful by the Jewish community.

Please
or

brillianthopefulness · 20/01/2023 20:48

I know a Cowan which is pronounced the same way.

Please
or

CPL593H · 20/01/2023 20:50

Just no. It isn't "a popular Jewish surname", it is the surname of people believed in Judaism to be the descendants of Aaron, the priestly family. It has a special and particular ritual significance.

Please
or

Toddlingturtle · 20/01/2023 20:52

Totally inappropriate. Please don’t

Please
or

IsThePopeCatholic · 20/01/2023 21:07

My neighbour’s boy is a Coen. The dad is a traveller/ gypsy.

Please
or

ladymacbeth · 20/01/2023 21:08

brillianthopefulness · 20/01/2023 20:48

I know a Cowan which is pronounced the same way.

As a first name?!

Please
or

brillianthopefulness · 20/01/2023 21:13

Yes as a first name. I wondered if it was a Gaelic name.

Please
or

WGACA · 20/01/2023 21:16

I don’t think it’s appropriate. I have taught a child called Cohen before though.

Please
or

BooCrew · 20/01/2023 21:17

I know a Coen. It's a German name, the family being of German heritage (and not Jewish).

Please
or

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 20/01/2023 21:17

It’s a strange choice if you have no Jewish heritage, and if you are Jewish you would be very unlikely to use it as a given name as it’s a patrilineal surname. If you like Hebrew names there are lots of lovely options which don’t have the same religious significance.

Please
or