Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Kolbe

eleanorsmellstrop · 23/09/2022 19:09

Have you ever heard of this name being used for a boy?

My friend says it's well-known as a name because of the saint, but I wonder if this is only in Catholic communities? (She's from the USA so also wondering if it might just be known in America).

Pronounced similarly to Colby, although slightly different.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ofwarren · 23/09/2022 19:11

I've never heard of it
Made me think of the name Kobe when I read it.

Please
or

ShowOfHands · 23/09/2022 19:15

No but I think IKEA use it as the name for a bijou storage system in pastel tones.

Please
or

eleanorsmellstrop · 23/09/2022 19:16

It's not linked to Kobe, but I know what you mean! It's apparently a German surname which came into use as a first name after St Maximilian Kolbe. But I've never met a baby Kolbe (or any adult one ) in my life, although my friend says it is well known as a boy's name

OP's posts:
Please
or

eleanorsmellstrop · 23/09/2022 19:17

(but again, this might just be in American Catholic communities, so this is why I'm asking MN!)

OP's posts:
Please
or

jazzwink · 23/09/2022 19:25

I think it might be an American thing and very local to that. Turning surnames into first names is not a thing is Germany or Poland, which is where Maximilian Kolbe died starved to death in a Nazi concentration camp run by Germans during the second world war. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_Kolbe
It's a very emotionally loaded name and I would not burden a child with it unless it has a deep meaning to you.
If you go to Auschwitz concentration camp, you can actually view the cell in which

Please
or

jazzwink · 23/09/2022 19:26

Sorry, posted too soon.
The cell in which he died.

Please
or

AmandaMirandaPanda · 23/09/2022 19:30

I'm in the USA and I have never heard of Kolbe except as a German surname (or Colby, an English village and a cheese). The Social Security Adminisration which tracks name use does not seem to think it is very popular either.

Please
or

Stichintimesavesstapling · 23/09/2022 19:32

I associate it with the learning theorist

Please
or

alotoftutus · 23/09/2022 20:25

I know of two, one is my 19 year old cousin the other a friends son. Both are from the Caribbean so perhaps it's more well known there.

Please
or

France98 · 24/09/2022 00:59

I know a few Colbys, but no Kolbe

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 24/09/2022 01:01

The Catholic Church venerates him as the patron saint of amateur radio operators, drug addicts, political prisoners, families, journalists, and prisoners.

That's quite the list.

Please
or

Smallonesaremorejuicy · 24/09/2022 01:05

Love Maximillion .

Please
or

eleanorsmellstrop · 24/09/2022 13:54

Can't use Maximilian because already have one in close family. DH loves Kolbe (and the saint is really important to our family for various reasons). But I'm worried the name is too 'out there' compared to our other children's name which are more familiar biblical names. Do you like it or think it works in the UK?

OP's posts:
Please
or

kuvira · 24/09/2022 14:46

How is it pronounced? Kol-bee or Kol-buh? I've never encountered it among Irish Catholics.
My partner knew a Colby in the States, if it's the same pronunciation.

Please
or

Cindie943811A · 24/09/2022 15:02

Reading the Wikipedia entry it appears there was controversy about the Saint’s anti- Semitism and I’d avoid the name on that basis.
Just go for the cheese version of Colby

d

Please
or

Yesthatismychildsigh · 24/09/2022 15:09

Went to Catholic schools. Never heard of it, on googling it’s the surname. It’s ugly. Don’t saddle someone else with that.

Please
or

Greencrocs · 24/09/2022 15:32

I went to school with a Kolbe in the UK about 20 years ago. He was American though. I think it’s a nice name

Please
or

eleanorsmellstrop · 24/09/2022 15:36

Cindie943811A · 24/09/2022 15:02

Reading the Wikipedia entry it appears there was controversy about the Saint’s anti- Semitism and I’d avoid the name on that basis.
Just go for the cheese version of Colby

d

I wouldn't use Colby as I specifically am interested in the name because of Maximilian Kolbe. I would only use Kolbe. Otherwise the name loses its meaning and I'd probably go for something else.

Either way will use Kolbe (either as first or middle). I THINK I prefer it (and have always imagined it) as a middle name for a boy. But it's the only boy's name DH loves as a first name option and I do love the saint so I'd definitely use it. Just not sure if it's too 'out there' in that i'd hate for people to think I just made up a name!

OP's posts:
Please
or

eleanorsmellstrop · 24/09/2022 15:37

Greencrocs · 24/09/2022 15:32

I went to school with a Kolbe in the UK about 20 years ago. He was American though. I think it’s a nice name

Interesting! So there are indeed other American Kolbes out there. Thank you for this!

OP's posts:
Please
or

eleanorsmellstrop · 24/09/2022 15:48

alotoftutus · 23/09/2022 20:25

I know of two, one is my 19 year old cousin the other a friends son. Both are from the Caribbean so perhaps it's more well known there.

Oh wow! Thank you! Yes maybe it is just only popular in certain areas. Do you like it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 24/09/2022 16:36

I have never heard of it (and have lived in US for long periods).

As a middle name it’s fine, but not as a first name - it sounds like it falls into the Kai and Kayden type names and that is Not Helpful in life

Please
or

mathanxiety · 24/09/2022 17:19

Yes, I've heard it, in the US.

There were two boys in the local high school during the time my DCs were going through, named Kolbe. I live in a metropolitan area with a huge Polish community going back at least 150 years, with lots of recent immigrants.

It's been chosen as a Confirmation name too, by one boy in my DCs' (RC) Conformation group. Also a girl who chose Cabrini...
I've heard it used as a middle name as well.

Please
or

mathanxiety · 24/09/2022 17:23

It's not at all 'out there' in RC culture, particularly if there's a Polish link, or indeed in circles where the Holocaust is well known. That means the intersection of Polish and Jewish communities, but lots of other RC culture in general.

Same goes for Edith (Stein).

Please
or

eleanorsmellstrop · 24/09/2022 19:19

mathanxiety · 24/09/2022 17:23

It's not at all 'out there' in RC culture, particularly if there's a Polish link, or indeed in circles where the Holocaust is well known. That means the intersection of Polish and Jewish communities, but lots of other RC culture in general.

Same goes for Edith (Stein).

Edith is on my list for a girl after Edith Stein 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

mathanxiety · 24/09/2022 19:48

Lovely choices.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?