Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Two middle names

DeeDeeDaisy · 22/09/2022 22:34

We think we've settled on a name for our baby girl, due next month.

I always wanted to use Jayne as a middle name to honour my mum and DH was happy with that, until he fell in love with the name Esme. I don't love Esme enough for it to be her first name but I would compromise and have it for a middle spot, which DH is ok with. So to compromise we are thinking of having two middle names.

For a first name, we think we are going with Rosanna.

So, it would either be -
Rosanna Esme Jayne, or
Rosanna Jayne Esme

Which sounds better?
Is two middle names too much?

I'm not looking for opinions on the actual names as we're pretty set...just the idea of two middle names and the order in which they sound best!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 22/09/2022 22:38

Esme Jayne

Two middle names is quite common

Rosanna is lovely

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 22/09/2022 22:40

Rosanna Esme Jayne is lovely.

It pains me to spell Jayne like that, but that's my issue not yours.

Please
or

DeeDeeDaisy · 22/09/2022 22:51

DramaAlpaca · 22/09/2022 22:40

Rosanna Esme Jayne is lovely.

It pains me to spell Jayne like that, but that's my issue not yours.

Thanks 😊

It's my mum's middle name - I never understood the spelling either haha but we're going with it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

AliBaliBears · 22/09/2022 22:57

I think Rosanna Jayne is lovely, I don't think the Esme adds anything at all. So personally, I would drop the Esme unless your husband really really wants it included (as opposed to it just being a name that he happens to quite like at the moment).

Please
or

Laurakiaora · 22/09/2022 23:02

If it helps, I have three middle names and it's never remotely been an issue. In fact, I quite like it.

My daughter has two and my new baby will have two.

Please
or

mistermagpie · 22/09/2022 23:13

I have two middle names and so do my three children. It's a family thing on my side. I quite like and it makes me feel 'fancy' when I'm filling out a form!

No downsides that I've ever come across, except occasionally you can't fit your whole name on the aforementioned forms, but three of my four names are quite long.

Jayne Esme from your choices and I love all the names!

Please
or

Motheranddaughtertotwo · 22/09/2022 23:17

I like the first way better for no reason other than the way they sound but I don’t dislike either.

Please
or

Sparklythings1 · 22/09/2022 23:19

I think it sounds better the first way but I’m always cautious of a vowel middle name in case the name makes a word! There’s nothing wrong with having two middle names. Although before the baby is born you’ll think their full name is a big deal and after putting it on the forms you literally won’t use it again and itl be first and second name only so if you want to make it two, make it two

Please
or

CastleTower · 23/09/2022 07:21

Rosanna Esme Jayne, definitely (decreasing number of syllables: 3, 2, 1)

Please
or

TheMadGardener · 23/09/2022 07:30

REJ sounds like the best order.
Everyone in my family has two middle names, I always liked having 3 names and did the same for my DDs.

Please
or

Jemimapinotduck · 23/09/2022 08:25

My son has two middle names, never been an issue. I think Rosanna esme Jayne flows better

Please
or

stormelf · 23/09/2022 08:36

All three of my children have two middle names. I would go with Jayne Esme in that order purely because as you said Jayne has a meaning for you and is to honour your mum. My middle name is Jayne with a y so very used to seeing it like that. I was named after a great aunt with that spelling and there have been a few more with that spelling in the family tree so just feels normal to me

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 23/09/2022 08:53

Mine all have two middle names.
Esme Jayne sounds better.

Please
or

2pinkginsplease · 23/09/2022 09:20

Esme Jayne sounds better.

However I would personally go with one meaningful middle name , dh has 2 and it’s a pain when he is filling out forms etc.

Please
or

JenniferBarkley · 23/09/2022 09:23

I'm going to buck the trend and say I prefer Rosanna Jayne Esme - I think it's less clumsy than going from one vowel sound to another in Rosanna Esme.

Please
or

ScottishBeth · 23/09/2022 09:25

I had the same thought as @JenniferBarkley Though either way is fine. I do love the name Esme. The whole name is nice either way. And two middle names is fine. I used to know someone with 3 middle names and a double barrelled surname!

Please
or

FaazoHuyzeoSix · 23/09/2022 09:29

It's going to depend a bit on the number of syllables and the rhythm of her surname. If it's a 2 syllable surname (eg Halford) then
Rosanna Jayne Esme Halford has a nice rhythm to it.
If it's a single syllable like Smith then Rosanna Esme Jayne Smith has a marginally better rhythm - but I personally dislike having two vowel sounds at the end of one name and the start of the next so I would be more likely to go with Jayne Esme or tweaking Rosanna to Rosanne if using Esme Jayne.

Please
or

JamesBondOO7 · 23/09/2022 09:31

Personally, sound common I would not. However, your child, your life who am I to say anyhting?

Good luck I'm sure you will do the right thing and something that you are very happy with.

Please
or

Rosio · 23/09/2022 09:41

I love Roseanna Jayne. I would suggest to DH can you save the name Esme for possible middle name for future child instead of using it now

Please
or

GlassDeli · 23/09/2022 14:06

Rosanna Jayne Esme. For some reason it makes Jayne sound less like a 'filler' name. It also avoids the vowels running together between Rosanna and Esme.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?