Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Dominic

PippaWater · 19/09/2022 19:22

My DH has his heart set on the name Dominic for DS2. It was his fave for DS1 but because of my reservations we didn't go with it. Now we have found out we are having another boy, I'm really trying to set my issues aside, because I don't have a strong emotional pull to any other alternative name, so it seems crazy to deny DH a name he loves for an alternative that neither of us are passionate about.

My reservations are:

1. Its a big name for a child and will therefore definitely get shortened from day 1 to Dom or what makes me cringe most, 'Dommy' and noone will ever actually call him Dominic.

2. I still remember the Big Bad Dom domestos adverts so I hear that in my head and imagine I'm not alone in that.
3. Recent politician associations.
4. I think with our surname as well, we would want a 1 syllable middle name, and not one beginning with a J as I don't like the "DJ" initials idea, but no one syllable middle names are jumping out for me.

Can you help me get on board... Or find an alternative name that we might both love?
OP's posts:
Please
or

hewouldwouldnthe · 19/09/2022 19:24

I love the name. The associations you mention are minor and wouldnt put me off. He could always be called Dom, or Nic/Nicky

Please
or

workflowers · 19/09/2022 19:28

Love Dominic. just call him his full name if you don’t want to shorten it. I know lots of young Sebastian and Samuels etc who go by their full name - not shortened at nursery etc. By the time they are teenagers, it might be shortened but that a long .time.

Please
or

imnotwhoyouthinkiam · 19/09/2022 19:28

My DS1 is Dominic. He's never called Dom/Dommy. Very occasionally Nicky/Knickers. If anyone does call him Dom he corrects them and always has.

He also has 2 middle names and a 4 syllable surname (it was 2 but he changed it)

I did wake his dad up in the middle of the night once when he was baby insisting we needed to change his name because it was 'babyish' and would be ridiculous on an older child. He's 18 now and his name (of course) suits him perfectly.

Please
or

NannyR · 19/09/2022 19:36

I know a young Dominic and I think it's a fantastic name, it's well known, easy to spell and pronounce, works in different languages, but not that commonly used. I've never associated his name with politicians or bleach, it's just his name.
He doesn't get it shortened at all (yet! He's just started school though so I don't know what his schoolfriends will end up calling him) he's just Dominic to family and friends.

Please
or

toastofthetown · 19/09/2022 19:45

Dominic is fine, and none of your reservations are enough to make the name objectively bad. Dominic is a common enough name that it can't be forever tainted by a singular controversial character. Dom feels pretty inevitable as a nickname, though Dominics I know use Dom and Dominic interchangeably (unlike Thomases who are always Tom). Could you try referring to the baby as Dominic for a few weeks just between you and DH to see if it feels right?

Please
or

NotABeliever · 19/09/2022 20:37

I know several Dominic s and no one calls them Dom. It's a good name.

Please
or

resm · 19/09/2022 21:12

I love the name Dominic, have only known Dominics who got their full name with no issues. Also like Damien, but literally every Damien I know gets shortened to Dee.

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 19/09/2022 21:19

I really like it

Please
or

Heartbreaktuna · 19/09/2022 21:28

Personally it feels clunky and 'uncool',.as much as a name can be. Similar to Wayne

Please
or

Kittybelle123 · 19/09/2022 21:33

Dominic is a great name - I have two very good friends named Dominic, one does go by Dom, the other is very much Dominic. I also have friends with younger Dominics (16 and 18) and it fits them just as well. It seems to be a name that transcends the ages.

Having said all of that OP, if you are not comfortable with a name, perhaps you have something you and DH could come to compromise on? You should never feel unhappy with your own child's name.

Please
or

User6761 · 19/09/2022 21:35

I like it. A friend's son is Dominic - almost always called his full name. There are actually two others in his class (Catholic school).

I think it goes with both short and long middle names....e.g.
Dominic John
Dominic Thomas
Dominic Alexander

Please
or

finallychangedmyusername · 19/09/2022 22:28

I really like Dominic. It's recognisable but not super popular. Some short middle name (non-J) suggestions:

Dominic Luke
Dominic Ross
Dominic Seth
Dominic Max
Dominic Rex
Dominic Leo
Dominic Heath
Dominic Paul
Dominic Eli
Dominic Rory

Please
or

GlowingBear · 19/09/2022 22:53

I love Dominic, I have one and he gets called Nico.

Please
or

ButterRose · 20/09/2022 04:06

Op I understand where your coming from my DH loves love's the name Dominic and I'm the same as you I've came around to saying ok to it for a middle name but not a first name I feel we both should love the name of our child....it's up to you really but if you are set against it I would keep looking for an alternative that you both love. You can't choose nic names/ shortenings they just happen and the inevitable is Dom or something similar you could push for Nick but school friends etc will make their own minds up

Please
or

ButterRose · 20/09/2022 04:10

Damien is an alternative or I don't mind Denver. What exactly does your DH love about the name? Maybe that would be a good starting point to find one you can both agree on

Please
or

PippaWater · 20/09/2022 05:43

Thanks for all the replies.
@NannyR those are all the positives that I and DH see with the name too. And the characteristics that are on our list for a name, which is why I do feel I just need to overcome my more minor concerns. Thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PippaWater · 20/09/2022 05:58

@finallychangedmyusername @User6761 thanks for the middle name suggestions, I think a one syllable or short two syllable middle can work OK.
Like Dominic Luke and also Dominic Liam...

@ButterRose it does tend to be a name that men like which also makes me think it must be a decent name for a male to have! I'm not set against it, I can see all the positives to the name, and we have been through a gazillion other names and I honestly have no strong contender for an alternative. What are you thinking of for 1st names?

I think I'm mostly stuck on the nicknames when he is a baby and toddler, and the negative associations and perhaps even with those I'm more worried about family and friends reactions. It's been great to see positive reactions to the name for the most part here, it has made me feel better.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ButterRose · 20/09/2022 09:10

It's true that most reactions to the name seem to be pretty positive and if your not set against it then by all means use it I just couldn't get past the nickname Dom plus I don't love the name but in full (Dominic) I don't mind it. We decided on something completely different, Rhys which we both really like short sharp sweet and simple, it could work as a middle name for you Dominic Rhys Surname. All the best whichever name you choose 🙂

Please
or

DuchessOfSausage · 20/09/2022 10:03

Every Dominic I've met is known as Dom.
Dominic Cummings, Raab, ...
A No from me.

Please
or

MuchuseasaChocolateTeapot · 22/09/2022 00:18

I like the name Dominic and Drew but our surname begins with D so they were out. I settled on Benedict in the end but we didn’t get to use it (girl!)

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 22/09/2022 10:54

I like it. I think primarily of Dominic Grieve. Not all names will be shortened. You can, he can, choose that.

Please
or

KirstenBlest · 22/09/2022 11:21

Dominic Grieve would put me off. Former tory MP who tried to stop Brexit. He's still the MP for what was a tory safe seat (a much younger Tony Blair stood for election there). other than that, he seems ok
You can try to avoid having your name shortened but it will still happen. I can think of a Jo who I'd only heard of as Jo. When i met her the first thing she said was a firm 'I'm Joanna not Jo'. How was i to know.

Short names often get lengthened.

Please
or

pandora206 · 22/09/2022 11:29

My son (now 30) is Dominic and I still love the name and he likes it too. It does get shortened to Dom by close friends and family sometimes but at work (and previously school/college/university) he has always been Dominic.

I don't think associations with today's politicians will last over the years.

Please
or

catinboots123 · 22/09/2022 11:30

I LOVE IT!! it's by best friend's son's name and it's suited him from a baby to the lovely big man he is today

Please
or

PoxyAndIKnowIt · 22/09/2022 11:35

pandora206 · 22/09/2022 11:29

My son (now 30) is Dominic and I still love the name and he likes it too. It does get shortened to Dom by close friends and family sometimes but at work (and previously school/college/university) he has always been Dominic.

I don't think associations with today's politicians will last over the years.

Snap!
I also have a 30-year-old Dominic. I think it's an excellent name.
And, OP, no one has ever called him Dommy!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?