My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Thoughts on Naomi (Nay-OH-Mee) for DD due in 8 weeks

48 replies

DorisDayAtTheAppollo · 04/09/2022 20:22

Middle name has been decided on Brianna/Brianne (late DF was called Brian) don't want opinions on that as decided on this as a middle name / name for a DD since before I was pregnant, DP likes Phoebe but I think it's a little too common for my liking now... We also Quite like Heidi ,,, TIA xx

OP posts:
Oncewassmith · 04/09/2022 21:24

If you're in the Midlands it'll be pronounced ny-omi, the majority of the time

DorisDayAtTheAppollo · 04/09/2022 21:38

My DP (who's father is Irish) loves the name Aoibheann (EEv-in) I do love it but think it could be a bit of a mouthful for our non Irish accent, the way DPs dad says it it lovely but I can seen it being shortened to just Aoibhie (So sort of like Evie) and I think people in my area (And on MN) would think I was trying to be too "out there" and "why not just call her bloody Evie!" Also DP was relieved when we found out baby was a DD as my boy names are to him and I think a lot of people "choice" ... On the list where
Isaiah, Ezekiel, Lexton/Lex, Caben, Valentino (NN Tino), Brylan (obviously going with the Brian theme and that was best I could come up with), thank god it's a DD hey😂😂

OP posts:
Starbeach · 05/09/2022 07:56

I personally love Brianna or Brianne nn Bree as her first name. Met a few when travelling in America. Otherwise love Heidi or Naomi.

Only thing is Naomi is one if those names that you always have to stop and think how to spell

Juancornetto · 05/09/2022 08:04

Naomi's a beautiful name 😍

ChagSameachDoreen · 05/09/2022 08:46

Naomi! Gorgeous name.

KirstenBlest · 05/09/2022 09:14

Same as @TooMuchToDoTooLittleInclination .

Naomi will get Nay-OH-mi, NAY-o-mi, Nigh-OH-me and get written as Niomi, Naiomi, Niomie etc.
Not keen on it.

Heidi and Phoebe are both nice but I don't like Phoebs

EugeneLevysEyebrow · 05/09/2022 09:14

My daughter’s a Naomi and while we say Nay-OH-mi it doesn’t bother me when people say Ny-OH-Mi or NAY-Oh-Mi (emphasis on the first syllable). To me they just sound like different accents saying the same name. I’ve got a Joanne /Joanna type name and it annoys me more when people use the wrong one as it’s blatantly a different name.

PS I also love the names Heidi and Phoebe so we must have very similar tastes in names!

Hopelessacademic · 05/09/2022 13:34

I have a Naomi and we love it! Also love Phoebe but that was out as it was MIL's cat at the time!
Most people seem to say "Nay-oh-mee" but the other pronunciations are nice too and tbh not very noticeable. So far nobody has spelt it wrong. Only downside in my opinion is it's not super nickname-able... ours goes by "nomi", "nomes" and has only just recently attempted to say her own name and came out with "num-num" 🙄

Pemba · 05/09/2022 13:46

I like Naomi and it's relatively unusual. Flows well with Brianna. Although I like Phoebe it doesn't flow as well (too many 'b' s).

Heidi, nah, far too cutesy.

GreyGoose1980 · 05/09/2022 15:50

I really like Naomi for a future DD but unfortunately DP isn’t keen.

Frazzled2207 · 05/09/2022 15:58

spent time in Japan where it is pronounced nah-oh-mee - no particular stress anywhere, which is beautiful

however a quick Google suggests the origin is Hebrew and original pronunciation was close to NAY-oh-mee

not sure where nye-oh-mee has come from

EleanorShellstrop28 · 05/09/2022 19:09

I love Naomi. I know a few and I've never, ever heard it pronounced any way other than how you want to say it! One Naomi I know is nicknamed Mimi/Minnie which is cute too. Strong, classic, biblical, familiar but not overdone. Lovely.

Imogensmumma · 05/09/2022 19:13

While Naomi is a beautiful name I would go Heidi or Bree as the risk of being made at school with Naomi ( spelt backwards is I moan )

DorisDayAtTheAppollo · 06/09/2022 15:40

@Imogensmumma ... I've never even noticed thar myself, doubt kids would pick up on it... There's worse words some names spell backwards and I Moan is hardly the worst I've heard lol x

OP posts:
DorisDayAtTheAppollo · 06/09/2022 15:42

Also guys would you got with nickname Mimi or Nay Nay??? Leaning more towards Mimi as my niece has a name where Nay Nay could be a NN xx

OP posts:
ImANaomi · 06/09/2022 15:48

NC for this.

I’m a Naomi and I love it. Yes sometimes people mispronounce it (Ni-o-me is common) but I still love it. Nicknames I’ve had have included Gnome & Nay. It’s common enough that people generally know how to pronounce and spell but not so popular that there’s several in a school year. I’ve probably met less than 10 people in my life who are also called Naomi.

Twizbe · 06/09/2022 16:01

I like it. I went to school with a few and they were all nice girls.

I think it flows well with the middle name too.

LilacSloth · 06/09/2022 17:04

Naomi Brianna is a beautiful name.

jrt2022 · 13/09/2022 17:54

Definitely Mimi! Nay Nay is horrible in my opinion (sorry). Naomi is on my list but the idea of her being called Nay or Nay Nay really puts me off it.

PinkPupZ · 13/09/2022 21:55

Love it

Wouldloveanother · 13/09/2022 22:04

jrt2022 · 13/09/2022 17:54

Definitely Mimi! Nay Nay is horrible in my opinion (sorry). Naomi is on my list but the idea of her being called Nay or Nay Nay really puts me off it.

Or people could just call her Naomi. Mimi (and naynay) are just silly.

Purpletopaz42 · 13/09/2022 22:06

I really like Naomi and I think it works well with Brianna and Brianne

riotlady · 13/09/2022 22:12

I love it! My husband wouldn't let me use it or it would have been a strong contender for DD

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.