Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Baby name fail - first and last name combo

Momma123456 · 06/08/2022 02:27

Looking for advice, FTM I have a 3 month old and for the past two months I have been having extreme name regret due to an unfortunate oversight with our babies name that I can’t unhear or see it when written down now that I’m aware of it.

I won’t say the full name of our LO but our last name is Price. The baby name we selected is along the lines of Willow, Arlow, Harlow.

When the first name and last name are said together all we can hear is Low Price!

I feel we put so much thought into agreeing in a name during pregnancy and just feel terrible for not thinking about how it would flow with the last name. Am considering a name change because we just can’t get connected to the name now, but the process of informing everyone seems so overwhelming. Just want what’s best of our baby.

Honest opinions, am I potentially over thinking it too much or should we go ahead with a name change that we will love? I’m losing so much sleep and stressing over it.

thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lemonlemon88 · 06/08/2022 02:45

If it is really affecting you, I would change it. I personally don’t hear low price if I say willow price or arlo price outloud if that helps you.

My daughter’s middle name is Margot and someone on here on a name thread said they always see maggot when they see it written it down. Took me a while to get that out of my head so I do understand how you could fixated on the low price thing.

Please
or

mathanxiety · 06/08/2022 03:23

Yikes, to be honest, I can hear it too.

It wouldn't be nice for a teenage girl.

You could swop around her first and middle names, or pick a new one.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 06/08/2022 07:23

I love the name Margot !

Please
or

startfresh · 06/08/2022 07:53

Heidi Price? Hi Pride is much better 😅

Sorry this happened to you, must be so annoying after finding a lovely name! But yes, I would not have liked the jokes that would come with Low Price at school! Once it's noticed once...

Please
or

Ontomatopea · 06/08/2022 07:56

Yup quickly change it. Make the low name a middle name

Please
or

BendingSpoons · 06/08/2022 08:00

I think you are overthinking this and people are only spotting it when it is pointed out to them. My friend had a similar thing when she changed her name when she got married. No-one really noticed until she mentioned it and it's not an issue. Plus most of the time you just go by first names.

Please
or

LT2 · 06/08/2022 08:11

My partner and I have decided to change our baby's name (and he's older than yours). I know what you mean about informing people, but it'll be OK. Having to live with the regret is a bigger issue. Just do it🙂

Please
or

Loulou1712 · 06/08/2022 08:39

I think it's an unfortunate oversight, however how often do you use first name surname outloud?
Unless I'm being called at the Dr surgery I don't think I ever do?
The same as when people stress about middle names, how many people honestly know what your middle name is?
Choose a first name you love and baby will grow into it x

Please
or

blameitonthecaffeine · 06/08/2022 15:18

I think it's an unfortunate oversight, however how often do you use first name surname outloud?

At school they do and that's where any bullying will happen.

It may well be fine. I can only think of one other 'low' name that you haven't listed so I think I know what your child's name is and it doesn't scream 'low price' when I say it out loud. But I can hear it and can see that some people may pick up on it.

Does she have a middle name you particularly like? If so, you could just start using that without having to bother officially changing her name.

If not then, based on what I predict your daughter's name is, how about:
Morgan Price
Martha Price
Madddie Price
Morvern Price
Mara Price
Mala Price

Please
or

MrsOwainGlyndŵr · 06/08/2022 15:24

Lowis? Lowri?

Whatever - I suspect you're over thinking it.

Is there a middle name you can use instead? Loads of people use their middle names as their names.

Please
or

Enko · 06/08/2022 16:55

I dont think its a issue personally I hear " willow Price " rather than low Price. its the full name that matters unless you plan on calling her low for a nickname.

Please
or

HeroinesJourney · 06/08/2022 16:58

I would change that while you still can.

Please
or

Wouldloveanother · 06/08/2022 17:00

i wouldn’t even have noticed had you not pointed it out. She won’t use the two names together regularly; if she does just get her in the habit of writing her middle name as well to break it up.

Please
or

ChagSameachDoreen · 06/08/2022 18:05

Ontomatopea · 06/08/2022 07:56

Yup quickly change it. Make the low name a middle name

That won't help! The name will still contain "low price."

Please
or

LT2 · 06/08/2022 18:26

@ChagSameachDoreen but when do people say their full name complete with middle name? I can't remember last time I did.

Please
or

Hopeandlove · 06/08/2022 18:35

Change it quickly you can do it easily now and just say ‘Willow didn’t suit her so we have changed her name to Emma’ many thanks

don’t explain don’t argue change her name legally and on passport, library and birth certificate job done

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 06/08/2022 18:36

I think I'd change it, tbh.

Please
or

WinterMusings · 06/08/2022 18:39

I think it depends on the actual name to be honest.

Arlo Price (our low price)
harlow Price (our low price)

but at school someone will notice, a lot will depend on accents and how teachers day it when calling the register etc.

But if it's not that it'll be her initials/hair colour/height/weight/glasses/freckles....

A name is a lot less personal than looks!

but if it's going to bother you, it's easy to change it in the first year & not a big deal to let everyone know the new name.

Please
or

WinterMusings · 06/08/2022 18:41

@Hopeandlove

on passport, library and birth certificate

shes 3 months old! Library card??🤣🤣

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 06/08/2022 21:35

If you are both happy to change then change

Please
or

sweetnoodle · 06/08/2022 21:41

Aw no I don't think you should change it. I think it's a shame you've got so hung up on it.
If you really can't live with it the totally change it for your peace of mind but I think it's nice.
My cousins surname is price, it's a standard surname

Please
or

DappledThings · 07/08/2022 18:51

WinterMusings · 06/08/2022 18:41

@Hopeandlove

on passport, library and birth certificate

shes 3 months old! Library card??🤣🤣

What's so funny about that? Mine had library cards that age. Even babies like board books and high contrast ones. You can take more books out with a child card and there are no fines so why would I use my own?

OP you are massively overthinking it. It isn't a big deal even if anyone does briefly think of "low price". It isn't offensive and highly unlikely to be even remarked on.

Please
or

EdgeOfACoin · 07/08/2022 19:15

Momma123456 · 06/08/2022 02:27

Looking for advice, FTM I have a 3 month old and for the past two months I have been having extreme name regret due to an unfortunate oversight with our babies name that I can’t unhear or see it when written down now that I’m aware of it.

I won’t say the full name of our LO but our last name is Price. The baby name we selected is along the lines of Willow, Arlow, Harlow.

When the first name and last name are said together all we can hear is Low Price!

I feel we put so much thought into agreeing in a name during pregnancy and just feel terrible for not thinking about how it would flow with the last name. Am considering a name change because we just can’t get connected to the name now, but the process of informing everyone seems so overwhelming. Just want what’s best of our baby.

Honest opinions, am I potentially over thinking it too much or should we go ahead with a name change that we will love? I’m losing so much sleep and stressing over it.

thanks

Okay, I actually know someone with one of these first names and your surname.

It is absolutely Not An Issue.

Personally, I'd never made the connection until you pointed it out on this thread.

I don't think it is a problem.

Please
or

Cindie943811A · 08/08/2022 20:52

The first timeI said the names out loud it was unmistakeable because the emphasis is on the second “low” syllable.
Seeing the names written it doesn’t occur to one.
A friend has an ancestor who was named Wright Price! That was back-in the 1850’s and I guess the parents weren’t as sensitive to their child’s feelings.
Just change the name and casually tell those that need to know that you had a change of mind, and get on with life.
Good luck

Please
or

Lolacat1234 · 08/08/2022 21:01

You can change a first name up to a year old. Just do it, at only 3 months old I would definitely change it if it is really bothering you x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.