Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Osla

Augustwine · 03/08/2022 20:12

What do we think of this girls name? I have Scottish and Norwegian grandparents and apparently this is a name from Shetland so a bit of both. It also sounds a bit like Oslo which is one of my favourite cities and sounds a bit like Isla but less popular. I worry that it sounds a bit made up as I’d not heard it until I read it in a book.

OP's posts:
Please
or

midsomermurderess · 03/08/2022 20:48

If you have heritage within which the name resonates, why not use it. ‘Oslo’ is sort of ‘Oshlu in Norweigan isn’t it? People do quickly get new names.

Please
or

mycatisannoying · 03/08/2022 20:50

Hmm, I can't quite get my head around it. Not sure why. It feels like Orla but with the wrong letter in place.
I neither like nor dislike it.

Please
or

SummaLuvin · 03/08/2022 21:14

My immediate thought when I saw the thread name was that it might be Scandi. But it's not a name many people will be familiar with, I had no idea it existed, so naturally it follows that some people will think it's made-up and others will hear think it's a mispronunciation of Isla. People who matter and will have a relationship with your child will get used to it fast. I guess it depends on how much the assumptions of strangers and distant acquaintances matter to you.

I don't love the name itself but also don't like Orla/Isla type names so I just don't think it's my cup of tea.

Please
or

TwigTheWonderKid · 03/08/2022 21:14

So do you pronounce the "s" like in Oslo or silent like Isla?

Please
or

Augustwine · 03/08/2022 22:48

Like Oslo

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rowen32 · 03/08/2022 22:57

It feels funny to me, I think it's the Oz sound.. Only one opinion though!

Please
or

stormelf · 03/08/2022 23:01

Love how it looks when written (I chose my oldest daughters name from a book I was reading because I loved how it looked, obviously I really liked the pronunciation as well). I like the pronunciation of Osla, yes it's not very common but it's a pretty sounding name that would suit any age.

Please
or

Enko · 04/08/2022 09:23

I am not keen but nor do I hate it. For me its a bit oh ok.. Scandinavian myself and Oslo is amazing yes 😀

Please
or

ItsDangerousInKingsmarkham · 04/08/2022 09:34

I think it sounds like a government agency. It's very close to COSLA and I'd assume it was an acronym 😬

Please
or

Hobbesmanc · 04/08/2022 11:08

Have you thought about Ulla. Similar feel but prettier I think?

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 04/08/2022 13:23

hmmm, i agree it sounds a bit made up and somewhat like an acronym. I'm not keen, i think you could spend a lot of time saying "no, Osla, not Olso / Isla / Orla"

Please
or

Belephant · 04/08/2022 13:40

Hm when I first saw this I didn't really like it, but now the more I look at it, the nicer I think it is...

I have a thing about using traditionally male nicknames from girls names (my current favourite is Vinnie as a nickname for Lavinia) - so I love that you could call her Ozzie as a nickname if you wanted!

I think all the best names are ones that grow on you, anyway! Smile

Please
or

ChagSameachDoreen · 04/08/2022 14:15

It sounds like the name of a secret cabal in a Philip Pullman novel. The Osla.

Please
or

Cotswoldmama · 04/08/2022 14:22

It makes me think of Ozma from the Wizard of Oz. I quite like it.

Please
or

FayCarew · 04/08/2022 17:09

Sounds too much like Ostler for me

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 06/08/2022 22:29

It sounds more like a Viking bloke’s name to me. Like Gunn which is a Swedish girl’s name sounds male in English.

I think Oona, Olwen, Arwen, Honor, Astra, Aster, Elva, Ida, Thora, might all be better.

Please
or

wellhelloitsme · 06/08/2022 22:40

Augustwine · 03/08/2022 22:48

Like Oslo

The way Brits pronounce the s in Oslo? Or how someone Scandi would do so?

Can't think of a better way of explaining the difference... is the s more like the last sound in 'Roz' or 'Ross'?

Please
or

YetDespiteTheLookOnMyFace · 06/08/2022 22:53

Would the s make a /s/ or a /z/ sound?

Please
or

WinterMusings · 06/08/2022 22:59

It 'might' sound nice with a Scandinavian accent, it won't sound nice in the U.K.

with a soft ohsssla. Here it'll be hard Ozla

Please
or

olivida · 07/08/2022 07:44

I don't like it but I can't elaborate why. I have been trying to figure it out, but I am not sure. I just don't like it. MAYBE it sounds more like a place or a product than a child's name? Also it confuses me because the 'Os' sounds like it is a boy's name, but the 'la' like a girl's name, so it doesn't seem feminine or masculine to me. Also think it will be pronounced Oz-luh in the UK which I assume isn't right.

Please
or

Augustwine · 07/08/2022 10:12

I would pronounce it like Ozla which I thought was pretty (but strange at first) but looks like others disagree so may think again

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.