My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Nicknames - unpopular opinion?

60 replies

Prairie21 · 30/07/2022 00:29

Am I the only one who doesn't like/understand nicknames?

I see on a lot of threads people trying to plan what the nickname will be for their child's name or even choosing the nickname before the official name that will go on the birth certificate.

Does everyone in the UK get a nickname? I live in the UK but am from somewhere where nicknames aren't really a thing.

I am now worried that the names I lovingly chose for my DC will never get used and get changed to something else. They both have three syllables too. We're doomed aren't we?

OP posts:
GretaVanFleet · 30/07/2022 11:00

I named both of my DC one thing but we call them another and have done since birth. They were never going to be addressed by the names on their birth certificates. DD used her real name when she had a Saturday job because there was another member of staff with her name that we use and she was happy to offer to do that. Their friends know their birth names and don’t think it’s a big deal. The names are variations of what is on their birth certificate it’s not like we named one of them Rodney and call them Dave!

NuffSaidSam · 30/07/2022 11:04

BiscoffSundae · 30/07/2022 00:47

It’s a MN thing ime, I don’t know anyone irl who is obsessed with nicknames like I see on MN, no one calls me by a nickname either so not not everyone gets called by a nickname only seen this on MN

Have you genuinely never met anyone who gets called by a diminutive of their name? You've never met a Chris or Elly or Pat or Kath or Becky or Jess or Freddie or Alf or Tilly or Matt or Sam or Ollie or Livi or Katie or Frankie?

You genuinely believe that people being called a nickname/diminutive only happens on Mumsnet? I find that absolutely incredible.

NuffSaidSam · 30/07/2022 11:05

RuthW · 30/07/2022 07:33

As a person with no shortening to my name I can say I hate it. That's why my dd has a long name with lots of options. I think it's awful for my boss, family and closest friends to all call me the same.

This.

newbiename · 30/07/2022 11:07

People call them nicknames but they're not. They are diminutives or shortened versions of the names.
Eg James known as Jim , but nicknames evolve as you grow eg something related to your appearance or character or hobby.

newbiename · 30/07/2022 11:08

And no , I'd say most people in the UK don't have nicknames.

MrsMitford3 · 30/07/2022 11:08

I have a name with a very obvious nick name- think Susan/Susie.

My DH (then Dboyfriend) were rumbled at work- we were keeping relationship our secret but he outed us by calling me my nick name instead of more formal work name.

I think it's nice for there to be different names for home and work.

PraiseBee · 30/07/2022 11:31

Prairie21 · 30/07/2022 00:29

Am I the only one who doesn't like/understand nicknames?

I see on a lot of threads people trying to plan what the nickname will be for their child's name or even choosing the nickname before the official name that will go on the birth certificate.

Does everyone in the UK get a nickname? I live in the UK but am from somewhere where nicknames aren't really a thing.

I am now worried that the names I lovingly chose for my DC will never get used and get changed to something else. They both have three syllables too. We're doomed aren't we?

Yes doomed, my dm chose names she didn't think would be easily nicknamed. We all have multiple nicknames for everyone. It probably drives her mad with annoyance and pride that we have such fun with each other.

Kanaloa · 30/07/2022 11:49

NuffSaidSam · 30/07/2022 11:04

Have you genuinely never met anyone who gets called by a diminutive of their name? You've never met a Chris or Elly or Pat or Kath or Becky or Jess or Freddie or Alf or Tilly or Matt or Sam or Ollie or Livi or Katie or Frankie?

You genuinely believe that people being called a nickname/diminutive only happens on Mumsnet? I find that absolutely incredible.

The poster didn’t say anything like that. They said not everyone gets called by a nickname and they’ve never met anyone as obsessed as people are on mumsnet. Not that they’d never heard of anyone having their name shortened.

Luredbyapomegranate · 30/07/2022 12:00

I think people just worry the name they have lovingly chosen won’t get used, and so want to try and predict nns so they don’t end up with something they hate.

When people say nicknames they obviously mean diminutives - it’s just that takes a lot longer to type than nn

I think it’s natural to flap a bit about what your child is going to be called

felulageller · 30/07/2022 12:01

Putting a shortened or nn on the BC has become an awful lot more popular in the last 30 years if you read the full baby name lists.

Eg when parents want to avoid multiples of the same name in a class so choose eg Abigail not realising once you add up all the Abby, Abbie, Abbey and Abi's it's a lot more common than they think!

With names like Elizabeth, with so many different diminutives it's more complex. I think for that one you should use Liz/ Beth/ Eliza etc as the given name as the nn is less predictable.

Then there's NNs that sound nothing like the original eg Peggy for Margaret.

I knew of one girl who was called Lottie on her BC but didn't like it so changed to Charlotte as a pre teen!

pinklavenders · 30/07/2022 13:02

I find it odd when posters ask what nickname they should use for easy-to-say names like Emma, Clara, Rory or Oscar...?!Confused

Just use the name as it is!!

pinklavenders · 30/07/2022 13:03

My name is 3 syllables and never gets shortened.

KirstenBlest · 30/07/2022 13:19

My first name can't be shortened. It gets lengthened. Not the name but think Jill being called Jilly, Jillian, Gillian etc or Hugh - Hugo, Hughie, Shuggie etc

If you pick a name like Penelope, Felicity or Alexandra, it will get shortened. You can correct people all you like but it'll still happen. Even something like Andrew or Emma will end up being Andy/Drew and Em/Ems/Emmy

Howmanysleepsnow · 30/07/2022 13:31

I know a Jane shortened to J, and an Ava shortened to Ave.
I also know Elizabeths, Andrews and Thomases who always go by their full name.
I think if someone is introduced by name, that’s mostly what they get called. No one knows what is or isn’t on their birth certificate.
My parents gave me a 3 syllable name but only ever used the first syllable, thinking I could change to the long version if I preferred. I honestly couldn’t! If I’m called the long version (eg at a hospital appointment) it takes a couple of times being called for me to associate that name with me (and even then it’s the surname that gives it away). It’d be no easier to adapt to my birth certificate name than to any other name that isn’t mine, albeit slightly less paperwork.

alanabennett · 30/07/2022 13:35

RuthW · 30/07/2022 07:33

As a person with no shortening to my name I can say I hate it. That's why my dd has a long name with lots of options. I think it's awful for my boss, family and closest friends to all call me the same.

That's such an odd attitude, to me. Your name is your name...why would you care a jot that your boss calls you the same thing as your friends? Let alone find it "awful"?

alanabennett · 30/07/2022 13:40

GretaVanFleet · 30/07/2022 11:00

I named both of my DC one thing but we call them another and have done since birth. They were never going to be addressed by the names on their birth certificates. DD used her real name when she had a Saturday job because there was another member of staff with her name that we use and she was happy to offer to do that. Their friends know their birth names and don’t think it’s a big deal. The names are variations of what is on their birth certificate it’s not like we named one of them Rodney and call them Dave!

If your children "were never going to be addressed by the names in their birth certificates" why on earth did you give them those names?

(MN is so bloody weird at times!!)

pinklavenders · 30/07/2022 14:04

I think if someone is introduced by name, that’s mostly what they get called.

Yes. I know a Victoria and a Catherine and always call them that - that's what they introduced themselves as. I wouldn't dream of calling them Vicky or Cat....Confused

pinklavenders · 30/07/2022 14:06

Awful? Gosh, it must be a terrible name Shock

GretaVanFleet · 30/07/2022 14:17

alanabennett · 30/07/2022 13:40

If your children "were never going to be addressed by the names in their birth certificates" why on earth did you give them those names?

(MN is so bloody weird at times!!)

@alanabennett We spent a long time choosing their names and we picked them for the same reason anyone does, because we loved them and still do. The birth certificate name is just a full version of what we call them. For example something like if we had named our DC Andrew and Elizabeth then we’d have called them Drew and Betty. Don’t know what the issue is.

spanieleyes · 30/07/2022 14:18

I gave both my sons names with lots of options- so Frederick/Freddie/Fred/Rick/Ricky ( not their name but something similar!) They started off being known as Freddie, Freds as a diminutive but evolved into Frederick at university. I do find it a little difficult to remember my Freddie is now Frederick but I'm getting there!

Mumoftwoinprimary · 30/07/2022 14:18

Louise0701 · 30/07/2022 09:01

@C0mfyChairP0se can you explain why it’s good? Many people don’t have name options and manage to get through life just fine.

Many people don’t have £1 million and manage to get through life just fine. Doesn’t mean I would turn it down if I was offered it!

I have a name with a number of shortenings and I like it. I like being able to use my formal name for formal things. But that I have a different, shorter, more friendly name for day to day use.

And I love the fact that at university my name got shortened differently so that a particular group of friends - the ones who were basically family to me for 3 years - have a different, special name for me. But that it is still a reasonable shortening so if other people hear it they don’t ask why I am called Bod or whatever.

It’s just nice.

Melisande90 · 30/07/2022 14:30

Yeah I don’t understand it either. My DD has a name which is a diminutive for another longer name - I loved the diminutive but not fussed on the long name so I just named her the diminutive and that’s what’s on her birth certificate. And it’s a name which will be perfectly acceptable no matter what age she is, her profession etc. Loads of people I know in real life have done this. Where I’m from a nickname isn’t usually anything to do with the given name, we would say “Alex short for Alexander” for example rather than “Alex as a nickname for Alexander”. As a pp said I would consider a nickname to be Smiley for someone who smiles a lot etc

NippyWoowoo · 30/07/2022 15:02

pinklavenders · 30/07/2022 13:03

My name is 3 syllables and never gets shortened.

Same. And I also don't feel like I need a 'work name' and a 'home name' Confused

Gillyx · 30/07/2022 15:14

Mumsnet users often refer to needing a ‘proper’ name for their CV and job applications in future. I find this so strange, because if you’ve applied for the job as Matilda, when you get it do you tell everyone you’re actually Tilly? And if your qualified and interview well, what difference does your name make? Also many employers have applications that remove your name, gender etc for equal opportunities.

alanabennett · 30/07/2022 15:14

GretaVanFleet · 30/07/2022 14:17

@alanabennett We spent a long time choosing their names and we picked them for the same reason anyone does, because we loved them and still do. The birth certificate name is just a full version of what we call them. For example something like if we had named our DC Andrew and Elizabeth then we’d have called them Drew and Betty. Don’t know what the issue is.

You address then by the names you love - that I understand. But giving them a version of the name that they, in your words, "they were never going to be addressed by" - that's nonsensical.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.