Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Need help find the right name for your newborn? Try our baby name generator.

Is it ok to call my baby my goddaughter’s middle name?

Moonshine160 · 11/05/2022 21:17

My goddaughters middle name is Maeve, she’s 2 years old. I actually suggested the name to her mum as it was my favourite at the time and she loved it and used it as a middle name. The problem is, it’s still mine and DH’s favourite name and I’m pregnant with DC2. We would love to use it but her mum is the type of person that is probably going to be annoyed about it and it’s making me a little worried to tell her. Do you think it’s acceptable to use it or should I try and find another name we love as much? Am I just being ridiculous?

OP's posts:
Please
or

WimpoleHat · 11/05/2022 21:19

I think it’s absolutely fine. Presumably your goddaughter is known by her first name? So can’t see any problem at all; nice link between the girls if anything.

Please
or

Orangello · 11/05/2022 21:20

Of course it's fine. Nobody sane cares about middle names.

Please
or

sheepandcaravan · 11/05/2022 21:20

Fine, and lovely.

Please
or

PuffItsGone · 11/05/2022 21:21

Absolutely fine to use it!

Please
or

Moonshine160 · 11/05/2022 22:09

Yes, she is known by her first name.

I think what’s worried me is that I asked a family member for their opinion earlier and they said it would be “weird” to use one of my goddaughters names and would be bound to annoy her mum.

OP's posts:
Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 11/05/2022 22:12

Did she know it was your favourite? If so, she must have realised you might use it too

Please
or

SweatyChamoisPad · 11/05/2022 22:13

My god-daughter’s name is my middle name 😁

Please
or

RedWingBoots · 11/05/2022 22:18

If it was your god daughter's first name could be weird.

If it was your own elder child's middle name it would be weird. Though the Royal family have done it.

Please
or

Synchrony · 11/05/2022 22:29

I think it's absolutely fine.

Please
or

Sushi7 · 11/05/2022 22:46

I’m surprised you gave away your favourite name. Luckily it’s your god daughter’s middle name and not her first name. Not many people are known by their middle name. Just use it! :)

Please
or

Jellybean23 · 11/05/2022 22:48

Certainly it's fine. I can't see anything wrong in calling your baby Maeve even if it was goddaughter's first name.

Please
or

ButterRose · 12/05/2022 12:21

I don't see an issue with you using it you suggested it in the first place so they know you like the name and it's only her middle name so your not 'stealing' her actual name

Please
or

Confusion101 · 14/05/2022 19:04

Absolutely see no issue with this. I wouldn't even ask the friend in advance because then you are giving her an opportunity to refuse and she would be being unreasonable then! Defo use it. Fab name. Best of Luck

Please
or

Moodycow78 · 14/05/2022 19:10

Absolutely fine, if GD mother mentions it remind her you'd told her in effect you'd use it before she chose to use it. I don't see an issue it's your choice what you name your child.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.