Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

The Court or Cockpit test

Changeythenamey · 17/12/2020 11:49

Hey all

What tests do you have for names? Someone mentioned the court/ cockpit test years ago and it stuck with me (although admittedly it may come across as snobby, it’s a bit of fun!)

If you got on a flight and the pilot said ‘Good afternoon, this is your captain Margot Robbie speaking’ does it sound good?

Or ‘All rise for the honorable judge Brad Pitt’

I recently thought of this whilst considering Dot as a middle name and realised the full name sounded like an email address. Confused

Do you have any silly name games?

OP's posts:
Please
or

August20 · 17/12/2020 11:51

All the usual like prime minister, judge, pilot and then just for fun Lady or Prince/Prince (this is not actually important this one - I think lots of great names sound a bit funny after a title!).

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 17/12/2020 12:34

Also consider how it sounds to shout across a park / play area / sports field!

Please
or

grey12 · 17/12/2020 12:34

I had heard about that test but it was for the Olympics Grin like imagine the name being called to receive a medal.

I try to say the whole name aloud. It just sounds different when said loud then at a normal voice.

Also check what the initials spell ;)

Please
or

Kanaloa · 17/12/2020 12:50

Also the starbucks test. Me and dh wanted names that if you said them in starbucks they could hear and write them easily. Although dh had a very common name (something like Tom/Jim/Bob) and they frequently mishear or misspell it.

Please
or

CaffiSaliMali · 17/12/2020 17:47

We're going to do the Starbucks test but less for how easily the name is understood and more 'do I feel like embarrassed calling myself this name'.

DH thought it was a great idea when I suggested it and I might be able to get some Welsh names past him that way as I would never feel silly introducing myself as Eira, Mari or Tesni for example Grin

Please
or

sofialime · 17/12/2020 17:48

I imagine myself having the name. I think a lot of people want to call their children slightly outlandish names that they wouldn't like to be called personally so I think that's so helpful test. Would you like to be called the name that you are wanting to name your daughter? And ask your other half if you're naming your son if it's a name he would have happily.

Please
or

ILoveStickers · 17/12/2020 18:05

I don't really believe in the judge/MP/prime minister/etc test. (People on this site are very weird about this sometimes, e.g. saying that a Leo couldn't be prime minister when one is literally the prime minister of the next country over. I also remember people insisting a Tulip couldn't be an MP, when one already is.)

But I will admit to imagining how her full name would sound read out at her wedding - almost the only time anyone's middle names are read out solemnly in public!

Please
or

Firebird83 · 17/12/2020 18:57

It definitely helps. There are some names I liked but they sounded silly/pretentious when I said them out loud.

Please
or

pilates · 17/12/2020 19:01

It has to be the crowded pub test for me.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 17/12/2020 19:03

Our surname fails the cockpit test.
As for court... DH has appeared in Court in a professional capacity. The name got sniggers (combined with professional title).

DDs names would fail the Starbucks test as there are other spelling variants of their names.

I hope we haven't screwed them over namewise! Grin

Please
or

ReeseWitherfork · 17/12/2020 19:49

I imagined introducing my baby to old people haha. I'm not sure why I care what old people thing.

Was debating Nick or Nicholas and my dad told me he'd never be prime minister if he was just a Nick. I'm not sure I want him to be prime minister.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.