My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Autoimmune disease

Are these symptoms familiar to anyone?

8 replies

NoGoodUsernamee · 17/07/2022 21:53

Painful, cramps in arms, legs, fingers & toes.

Pins & needles in hands, legs, feet and face.

Dizziness/light headedness

blurred vision.

I have had bloods which have ruled out a deficiency, a CT which has ruled out a stroke or a brain tumour. Awaiting an MRI, but I have 3 children under 5 and I’m so worried.

Did anyone have similar symptoms and can tell
me what it turned out to be?

my potential theories are…

Peripheral neuropathy
MS
Hormone imbalance (I do have PCOS)
under active thyroid?

TIA.

OP posts:
GentlyGentlyOhDear · 19/07/2022 22:30

I have hashimotos thyroiditis and have had several of those symptoms previously. Have you had your thyroid levels and antibodies checked?
Try not to worry too much, though easier said than done. I've also had the muscle cramps, dizziness and pins and needles from stress and anxiety too.

SteveHarringtonsChestHair · 19/07/2022 22:53

I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and low B12 and both of those can cause similar. My blood tests always come back as “normal” even when they are only borderline ok, and strangely once I adjust my medication those symptoms go away.

You need the numbers for your blood tests (ask for the results and the reference ranges, to see whereabouts in the ‘normal’ range you fall). Post them on here and I’m sure some knowledgable posters can help you with it. Sadly a lot of these illnesses go undiagnosed and mistreated for years while patients (mainly women of course) suffer awfully with a range of debilitating symptoms. I’d love to be able to trust my GP but they have shown time and again that they don’t understand enough about the lived experience of people with chronic conditions.

MustDust · 19/07/2022 23:02

When they did your bloods did they do your B12? And if they say it's OK what's the actual figure as many of those symptoms went away when I was prescribed B12, but some GPs I've discovered will ignore low unless you're actually properly deficient and say everything is normal.

Lacedwithgrace · 19/07/2022 23:08

Sounds like my hypothyroidism

Borracha · 06/09/2022 10:04

Word for word that is my symptom list when I was diagnosed with Hashimotos (I also had extreme fatigue)

Itonlytakesone · 23/09/2022 02:00

I have these symptoms too.

I know this thread is old did you get a diagnosis. I know my b12 is low but still in 'normal range' however I'm getting pins needles numbness fatigue feel dreadful.

I had a Ct scan on Wednesday because my numbness was all on my left side, test was clear. I'm hoping to get my b12 re tested but will probably struggle to get my gp to agree to do it given my last one was in the normal range but it was very low in the ranges and has kept lowering for years. I'm worried sick Confused

Nat6999 · 23/09/2022 02:26

I had those symptoms, over 3 months my feet & legs went numb & my mobility deteriorated. This happened just as the pandemic started & I had to wait 6 months for tests, I also had damage to my eyes due to dry eyes. I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency, I am now housebound & need a wheelchair, I inject B12 once a month.

Itonlytakesone · 23/09/2022 06:04

@Nat6999

Oh no Sad it's so serious I don't understand why doctors don't seem to be interested especially as it can be so debilitating. I'm going to chase this up, try to get my level rechecked.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.