My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Autoimmune disease

Moving onto Biologics

4 replies

Petrarkanian · 21/09/2021 16:23

Hello, I've got Colitis and will probably be moving onto infusions pretty soon. Mercaptopurine has stopped working and I can't have a larger dose as I'm the 1 in 99 that can't handle it.

Anyone got any advice, does the infusion make you feel terrible on the day or for some time after? How long does it take? How often? Where do you get it? What side effects have been experienced?

Feeling very anxious about it, it's the next step that I've tried to not get too, but it's time and I need to be able to get some of my life back.

Any stories will be gladly read.
Thank you

OP posts:
LoveFall · 22/09/2021 00:25

Hi

I have ulcerative colitis and have been on Entyvio (vedolizumab) for almost three years. I go to an infusion center once a month. The every two month schedule did not hold my disease back enough so I was moved to once a month.

The infusion only takes 1/2 hour which is nice. The only problems occur when the nurse has trouble starting the IV but most of them are very practiced. I get bruises sometimes.

The only thing I have noticed as a side effect is some slight fatigue which is not a big issue at all.

Entyvio has been life changing for me. I so wish it had been around years ago when I struggled with managing colitis and a demanding professional career. Instead I ended up prednisone dependent.

I don't take anything else for my colitis except the Entyvio.

I hope the biologic helps you just as much!

LoveFall · 22/09/2021 00:26

I mostly get the infusion in my forearm or hand.

Petrarkanian · 22/09/2021 11:14

@LoveFall, thank you so much. I'm desperate to get my life back. Very reassuring.

OP posts:
PricklesTheHedgehog · 22/09/2021 16:27

Which biologic, OP?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.