My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Autoimmune disease

Negative Ana - could it still be lupus?

6 replies

nailsathome · 13/09/2021 21:47

Hi everyone.

I have a negative ANA test but all other blood markers and symptoms are pointing towards inflammation and autoimmune disease. Is it possible it is lupus despite the negative Ana?

OP posts:
BlackInk · 14/09/2021 18:18

Hi OP

Even with a confirmed Lupus diagnosis ANA can fluctuate. I believe you usually have to have had at least one positive ANA in the presence of symptoms / other abnormal results to be diagnosed.

However, it can be a long road to diagnosis. Even with several of the key diagnostic symptoms and a positive ANA (followed a year later by a negative one) I'm still unable to convince my GP to take me seriously...

This page is helpful, good luck :)
www.lupusuk.org.uk/diagnosis/

Vicky1989x · 14/09/2021 21:14

I was diagnosed with Lupus in 2017. My ANA was slightly raised, but I get awful rashes on my hands/arms from the sun which I had a skin biopsy done on and that confirmed Lupus. I had more bloods done and my ANA wasn’t raised that time so it doesn’t always have to be raised to have Lupus.

Lupus is also tricky - I believe you need to be having a flare up for blood tests to detect it.

nailsathome · 14/09/2021 22:17

Thank you both. I just want to know what's wrong with me

OP posts:
phlebasconsidered · 02/10/2021 17:06

I'm in the same position. I have a butterfly rash in the sun, joint pain, hairloss, protein in the urine, highblood pressure and headaches with terrible exhaustion. I also have hashimotos but my t4 and t3 are optimal.. The gp asked for a referral but because my ana was negative they have refused.

It took 7 bloody years to get the hashimotos sorted. I just cannot go through it all again.

Blubellesmum · 27/10/2021 00:56

It took me 5 years to be diagnosed with 4 positive ANA tests but they were never in a row so were dismissed, I finally found a rheumatologist and neurologist that looked at all the tests and concerned and finally agreed I wasn't crazy. Hang in there. I'm in the states so changing doctors I believe is a little easier, but keep after them to listen and hopefully eventually they will. Good luck my friend.

nailsathome · 30/10/2021 21:19

I have neurology on Monday so hopefully I'll get some answers

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.