My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Autoimmune disease

Hashimoto's and gastric symptoms

16 replies

Ellapaella · 08/12/2020 21:41

Just wondering if anyone out there with Hashimoto's has had similar issues.
I was diagnosed in June this year and am currently taking 75mcg Levothyroxine and my last TSH had come back down to 4.2 (it was 14 when diagnosed) and free T4 18.4
For about a year I have also been suffering from intermittent bouts of gastritis (upper abdominal discomfort, belching, wind and bloating) which can last anywhere between a week to several weeks at a time.
I have cut out virtually all alcohol and don't take any NSAID's. I think my GP is going to send me for an endoscopy but I am just wondering if there could be a link with the Hashimoto's and whether others have had anythjng similar? A quick google search reveals there can be a link with autoimmune gastritis but that is mostly asymptomatic and associated with pernicious aneamia (I haven't had my B12 checked but there is a family history of PA).
Sorry for the mega long post - if you have got to the end then thanks for reading and any advice would be fantastic.
I should add i don't feel tired, lethargic or breathless and haven't had any weight loss or change in bowel habit.

OP posts:
trumpisaflump · 10/12/2020 19:54

Yes my initial symptoms were GI issues. My stomach was so bloated I thought I had ovarian cancer! My GP checked all my bloods and my TSH was 69! A few months after starting treatment with levothyroxine my stomach was still bloated so I had an upper GI endoscopy which ruled out coeliac disease and showed only mild gastritis. I also paid for a private abdo CT which was normal.
My stomach bloating has improved over the months as my levothyroxine dose has been tailored. I also switched to lactose free milk which really helps. I avoid gluten too where possible-I read that a gluten cell is similar to a thyroid cell so your body attacks it and this causes bloating and joint pain. Avoiding gluten makes a huge difference so might be worth a try.
If you haven't already I would join Health Unlocked, the Thyroid UK board. Lots of very knowledgable posters who are super helpful.
I would also advise you to get T3 checked as well as T4 as T3 is responsible for gut function. Good luck

Ellapaella · 11/12/2020 13:13

Wow, thanks that is so helpful! I am going to try cutting out gluten and lactose to see if that helps. None of this is helped by the fact that it's impossible to have an actual conversation with a GP right now so i keep getting fobbed off. I will ask for my T3 to be checked - thank you!

OP posts:
trumpisaflump · 11/12/2020 17:42

To be honest it's a minefield. I feel we really need to educate ourselves with hypothyroidism as there is a real science in interpreting thyroid blood levels. Health Unlocked is a really good place to start so if I were you I'd put a post on there with your blood results (and include normal reference ranges) and I'm sure you'll get lots of useful answers. Good luck

trumpisaflump · 11/12/2020 17:44

Also meant to say I got almost instant relief by only switching to lactose free milk and drinking some kefir every day. However I consume a huge volume of milk daily in my muesli and lattes!

DrCoconut · 11/12/2020 17:48

There's a huge link between Hashimotos and coeliac disease.

DrCoconut · 11/12/2020 17:52

Lots of coeliacs are lactose intolerant too

Ellapaella · 11/12/2020 18:40

Thanks so much everyone.. it is indeed a minefield - I am switching to lactose free milk today and will try cutting out gluten. I haven't had any bowel issues at all so will still need the endoscopy etc but i do have a strong feeling it's related to the thyroid as it all started around the same time a year ago.
I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I have been reading about SIBO as well but it seems all these conditions overlap or are very similar in terms of symptoms.

OP posts:
79andnotout · 11/12/2020 22:51

I didn't have gastric issues but I always know my thyroid is off when it affects going to the loo. When I was hyper I had diarrhoea every day and when hypo I was constipated and had recurrent piles. So now I know to look out for this.

Superfoodie123 · 11/12/2020 22:56

Hashimotos protocol by izabella wentz changed my life and established a solid link between stomach/gut and this disease. Please read it if you have hashis

Turquoisesofa · 11/12/2020 23:02

Testing for coeliac disease is recommended if you have Hashimoto’s
www.nhs.uk/conditions/coeliac-disease/diagnosis/

Ellapaella · 12/12/2020 08:26

Thankyou @Turquoisesofa i have some bloods lined up next week, one of which i believe is for coeliac.
@Superfoodie123 thanks for the recommendation- I've downloaded it onto my kindle.

OP posts:
NeurotreeWenceslas · 26/12/2020 09:28

Hi op, probably too late now but you should be eating gluten to get a coeliac diagnosis.

NeurotreeWenceslas · 26/12/2020 09:28

Sorry, I mean when getting a blood test for it.

CrunchyCarrot · 08/01/2021 08:47

OP, you may have low stomach acid. This is very common in hypothyroidism but doctors don't really recognise it, and tend to shove a PPI for any reflux or gastric discomfort.

A good way to help yourself is to take either digestive enzymes with meals, or a little apple cider vinegar (diluted in juice) or lemon juice (similarly diluted) to help boost your stomach acid. If that doesn't work you can buy Betaine HCl with pepsin capsules (only take with food).

Pind · 02/03/2021 10:30

Due to being increasingly ill with chronic fatigue, and not being happy with that label because it effectively is untreatable, I have decided to consult a functional medicine practitioner. I'm awaiting results on hypothyroidism (and a host of other things) bit while I am waiting. I have been put on an autoimmune protocol paleo diet. I've only been on it 2 days but have done a lot of reading about it. Many people have had success so it may be worth considering if, like me, you've lost all hope of ever feeling better.

autoimmunewellness.com

thereinmadnesslies · 02/03/2021 10:33

I had this and I cut gluten out of my diet to deal with it. Going gluten free also seemed to make the levothyroxine work more effectively.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.