My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Autoimmune disease

B12 injections being ended

58 replies

NumberMonkey · 31/03/2020 19:47

I had a message from our GP practice - as a result of COVID-19 they are reviewing various practises and have decided that from May onwards they will no longer treat B12 deficiency with injections. Instead we will be given a prescription for 1mg Cyanocominn tablets or can buy our own.

The fact sheet makes interesting reading and basically suggests that everything I’d been told about B12 deficiency by my GP and the Practice Nurses since I was diagnosed with it in January is a myth.

Has anyone else had similar?

OP posts:
AtopAHighHill · 18/05/2020 14:55

Hmmm.
Just called GP surgery. Not doing any injections and the receptionist reeled off a list of foods high in b12 that I should eat in the meantime. They're not even recommending any tablets. Absolutely useless.

AveEldon · 20/05/2020 09:00

b-s-h.org.uk/media/18259/bsh-guidance-b12-replacement-covid-1924042020finalversion2020-4-3.pdf

British Society for Haematology (BSH) guidance on Vitamin B12 replacement during the COVID-19 pandemic

Kez0777 · 02/06/2020 11:13

Just wanted to let you all know that I've been able to book in for my B12 injection for the end of June.

Blushingm · 23/08/2020 11:26

I'm a district nurse. Some injections are going ahead - it's decided on a patient by patient basis.

Scarby9 · 23/08/2020 11:35

My mum with pernicious anemia was moved to tablets (not subliingual) at the start of lockdown.

To begin with, this seemed a step forward as she appeared more consistent and we hoped thisd might stop the huge decline she usually experiences in the run up to her next injection.

Hiwever, now she is tired all the time again and struggling. We don't know if it is the B12, her dementia, RA or the effects of lockdown.

Their GPs still won't do an in-person appointment at all, so no blood tests or checks on B12 levels. Does anyone know whether she should have a test anytime soon?

Blushingm · 23/08/2020 14:46

The problem with testing someone when they take/have replacement is that the test result won't show their natural level, it will be make inaccurate as they have a supplement

They'd be no need for face to face with gp as they wouldn't examine her, a telephone consultation would be more appropriate and safer

Scarby9 · 23/08/2020 18:20

@Blushingm Thank you. That makes sense.
I will save my annoyance at the general unhelpfulness of their GP surgery (not the individual doctors if you can ever see them) for a more worthwhile time!

Blushingm · 23/08/2020 19:52

There's many more things to get annoyed at GPs over!!!!Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.