Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Antenatal/postnatal depression

Can you get post natal depression when baby is now 18 months?

7 replies

ALLTHINGSSKIN · 19/10/2022 18:24

I’m struggling to pin point and express how I feel, so seeking help is proving difficult as I can’t explain this feeling. I can only describe the feeling as ‘mental tunnel vision’ a weird sort of existence where everything feels duller than it once was. I realised this when I went for a walk recently with my daughter (18 months), we were sat on the grass overlooking fields, I looked at her expecting to feel ‘that feeling’, and I felt nothing. I’m achieving so much in life, I’m in a great relationship but I get no real feeling of happiness or any feeling at all really.

I think I’ve felt like this for a long time, but definitely more so since having my baby (I haven’t enjoyed any time being a mum). I give her 100% but I do it for her not for me.

what is this feeling? I’ve tried to get help but as “my house is clean, I sleep well & exercise/eat well” I’m not clinically anything …. So help is available. Or is there? But I need to do something as this feeling isn’t right, I don’t feel present, I feel like the world is going on around me and I’m just cracking on.

can anyone relate? Is this depression? Untreated post natal? I must say I’m not unhappy or sad, I just feel dull and emotionless all day everyday. I want to fix this feeling before my daughter starts to become aware.

OP posts:
Please
or

heartbroken22 · 18/11/2022 23:28

Are you okay? I'm sorry no one has replied yet but of course you can and it does sound like you have pnd. Can you speak to your doctor about it? They'll give you the right medication and honestly it gives you that little bit of boost you need.

Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 19/11/2022 13:44

How are you getting on now @ALLTHINGSSKIN?

I agree with heartbroken, it definitely sounds like you could have Post Natal Illness.

If you haven't already, I'd definitely reach out for some support. Have you spoken to the PANDAS Foundation? They are usually very good Flowers

Please
or

Ririi · 16/12/2022 05:24

I can relate to this. I have a 1yo baby and I am currently in therapy but also can't name what's wrong with me or can't even say what I feel most of the time. I would call it post maternity leave depression, as the birth seems so long ago now.

I have moments when I feel dull like nothing is exciting. I would just feel nothing. There are days when I am just keeping busy taking my son around so that we are not bored at home... then my favourite time is nap time when we cuddle together. He goes to sleep and I try to find something to laugh on my phone. But nothing is funny.

My therapist says try to have a balanced week, get in time for some enjoyment. So I try to go out with friends, but often I can't wait to go home.

You can do a self referral, Google nhs talking therapies or IAPT self referral.

Please
or

Fourwallsclosingin · 16/12/2022 05:44

Following with interest OP and thinking of you. I was wondering the same thing today. Is it normal to cry once or twice a week?

Please
or

isthistheendtakeabreath · 16/12/2022 05:47

My soon to be ex husband walked out citing that he didn't love our twins who were 18 months old: that he didn't feel he bonded with them and he had no connection. He has refused any help though to deal with his feelings and we are now divorcing. Utterly tragic and heartbreaking x

Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 16/12/2022 07:32

I don't think it is @Fourwallsclosingin. Have you reached out to PANDAS Foundation or your GP? Flowers

Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 16/12/2022 07:34

That's so awful @isthistheendtakeabreath. Sending you a virtual handhold and some strength to get through this Flowers

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?