Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what you’d do today?

19 replies

hanginglikefawkes · 28/02/2024 09:05

So it’s my first day off in 100 days. I’ve been working on a project that’s nearly driven me insane which I finished yesterday. I love my work but it does get all consuming. SEN child has been having an episode lately and robbing us of sleep. 2 recent bereavements… life has just been bloody hard. Today is my first day off for months. I’d planned to go swimming and shopping but accidentally tucked into a bottle of scotch last night and I’m rather suffering for my sins today. Husband has done school run and will collect from carer this evening and I’ve already decided we’re having Chinese food tonight.
I’m essentially a free agent today , albeit a rather hungover one.
options are:
A) have a beer and watch my favourite movie then sleep the afternoon away like an actual bum and come up smiling just in time for the takeaway.
B) martyr my way through some housework and life admin and possibly get online and order the bits I need for my garden project ( I feel like this is the noble thing to do but also a waste of a rare day of no responsibility)
C) just lay in bed with a bag of Doritos and some Camembert and watch the movie I really want to see ( this will give me gut issues later) and then try and make some performative effort to clean the house.
D) just tuck into the beer, relax and muck about with my guitar, write a song and take a nap later.
for context , I’m 39 and therefore this hangover will linger for 3-5 working days anyway. House isn’t minging at all but has a few corners of clutter and the windows need doing. I’ve not touched my guitar for 3 months .
socially awkward, arty sort of woman who slept with husband last night for the first time in weeks so he’s quite jolly and forgiving today anyway because we had a lot of fun yesterday. Back to work Friday and won’t get a chance to be a lazy alcoholic slob for at least another 2 months.
Whats acceptable? What would you do?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

10 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
40%
You are NOT being unreasonable
60%
bertybertyberty · 28/02/2024 09:15

Option B. You had some chill time last night. I couldn't take the day off to lay in bed/ watch TV/ eat. You can do that other times when not working eg at night. If a job needs doing then i have to do it.

simperingsychophantsbatman · 28/02/2024 09:18

What's acceptable - D
What I'd do - B (because I'm crap at relaxing when there are things to do)
Make the most of your day, enjoy it. Life is far too short not to have a relaxing time when you can. The housework always needs doing. Even when it's just done it's coming undone again.

meatpie22 · 28/02/2024 09:19

Anything but B. This is a rare opportunity to relax. You sound like you need it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with resting when you need to rest.

If you feel like doing some housework later you can do but i certainly wouldn't prioritise it or beat yourself up if you don't get around to it.

Ihaveneedofwaternear · 28/02/2024 09:21

bertybertyberty · 28/02/2024 09:15

Option B. You had some chill time last night. I couldn't take the day off to lay in bed/ watch TV/ eat. You can do that other times when not working eg at night. If a job needs doing then i have to do it.

Yeah, you had a small amount of chill time after 100 days of working and a difficult time in your personal life. That's your whack - get back on it immediately! 🤪

I would do absolutely anything I bloody wanted after all that's been going on. Life's short. The dishes and house and admin aren't going anywhere. Doing them today probably won't make your life any easier in the grand scheme of things, you'll be just as busy with other things. Take this rare opportunity to just relax, you deserve it.

Birch101 · 28/02/2024 09:24

I had Monday off, I took sleeping tablets crawled into bed with some food and zoned out to tv and slept!

ShirleyPhallus · 28/02/2024 09:25

Christ do absolutely nothing. Get in to bed, eat rubbish, watch a film. Relax and enjoy your hangover.

whatever you do, do NOT do housework

LunaNorth · 28/02/2024 09:27

Do the grand total of fuck all.

You need to recharge and will feel miles better for it. I’m liking the idea of noodling about on your guitar if you really must do something.

Queijo · 28/02/2024 09:28

DO NOT DO ANY HOUSEWORK!

Please ignore the martyr posters that think sitting on the loo for a poo is a well deserved break.

Have the laziest of days and enjoy every single second. Housework can always be done, recharging can’t. Make the most of it!

hanginglikefawkes · 28/02/2024 09:30

So I’ve made a decision. I’ve had a cold beer and therefore the hangover has been beaten and I’m currently indulging in the cinematic masterpiece that is Withnail and I. The kitchen scene has somewhat dwarfed all domestic urgencies in my perfectly acceptable house. Might have a shower after the film, might just pass out and snore like a bush pig until my alarm goes off at 4pm. This is absolutely the life. I must do this more often😂

OP posts:
PainfulButNecessary · 28/02/2024 09:30

Not sure I could stomach a beer on a hangover, but as for the rest - just choose the option that will make you happy.

I personally feel happier if I’ve achieved SOMETHING on a day off, so would probably be half and half for me.
Enjoy.

toomuchfaff · 28/02/2024 09:56

Anything but B - let life carry on another day - but today is a day off. The dust and washing can wait. On your deathbed are you going to wish you did the housework and life admin? Absolutely fkin not.

Not a fan of A - sleep? waste of a rare afternoon.
Not a fan of C - don't give yourself issues later...

Guitar is winning.... alongside ordering the garden project stuff - but definitely not any housework

HotChocWine · 28/02/2024 09:58

I'd do d

Please don't do B

LadyBird1973 · 28/02/2024 10:30

Having a proper break is really important. None of that other stuff will ever get done if you collapse through lack of rest!
So I say to take this time and do whatever you fancy - the housework can always get done another day, it isn't going anywhere!

EnterFunnyNameHere · 28/02/2024 10:37

DO NOT DO B.

Honestly, why do people (almost always women) feel this compulsion to martyr themselves?! Unless you're really living in squalor nothing bad will happen if no cleaning gets done today, and you definitely sound like you've earned it!!

Kittynoodle · 28/02/2024 10:38

Option c

the Camembert does it for me!!

Kittynoodle · 28/02/2024 10:39

EnterFunnyNameHere · 28/02/2024 10:37

DO NOT DO B.

Honestly, why do people (almost always women) feel this compulsion to martyr themselves?! Unless you're really living in squalor nothing bad will happen if no cleaning gets done today, and you definitely sound like you've earned it!!

Completely agree

Shuggie1234 · 28/02/2024 10:43

A or D sound perfect you deserve a lot of downtime

cerisepanther73 · 28/02/2024 10:46

Financially savvy workshop for women in city in a popular pub at popular nights spot area
Currently on a bus now to get to this eventbrite event,

Also in the evening will be going to a sewing your own wardrobe sewing session first class at a community workshops venue in same area too

In the meantime too,
sadly need to look for daffodils , a stone and think of a poem or find a song that befitting for memory of my pet cat who will put to sleep soon Tommorow...

Need to get cardboard box or find my cat carrier to take her to vets...

Ukholidaysaregreat · 28/02/2024 10:50

A A A A A Hope you enjoy the film and the nap!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.