Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Are periods being unreasonable?

9 replies

GCautist · 28/02/2024 08:37

I am perimenopausal and some periods pass without remark but every so often I get a doozy that floors me with pain and nausea. Today is that day.

Ordinarily I’d take very strong painkillers and go sit with a hot water bottle and hope
tomorrow was better but today I have a career defining event. Something that I’ve put years of work into and cannot be avoided.

I have to drive there this morning. I look grey skinned and am bent over like an old woman.

I’m posting here for reasonable quick fixes and sympathy.

Anyone have any non opioid tips that don’t involve strapping a hot water bottle to my waist? Needs to go with formal evening wear.

Are periods being unreasonable or am I being a cramping spasming wussy?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

15 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
0%
You are NOT being unreasonable
100%
StephanieSuperpowers · 28/02/2024 08:38

TABU. Sending duvet day feelings your way. Hope it passes soon.

Ali1262 · 28/02/2024 08:40

I found feminax really good as i have pcos i get some really bad periods. I found that good for the pain unfortunately no recommendations for heaviness except highest rating on the pads and trips to the loo my sympathies its harsh being a woman 💐

StopTheBusINeedAWeeWeeAWeeWeeBagOChips · 28/02/2024 08:43

Full sympathy here, I'm in peri too and it's awful.

You can buy those heat pad things, essentially looks like a massive plaster and they work for hours. That should see you through your event.

Good luck for tonight.

60PercentClub · 28/02/2024 08:45

Perimenopause unpredictable periods are massively unreasonable! They know when the worst possible time is and do it on purpose (like sending a random flooding event when I'm sat in a hairdressers chair for 2 hours) No advice but good luck for the event. I am late 40s and beginning to see why so many women leave the workforce at this age.

Merryoldgoat · 28/02/2024 08:45

Full sympathy but my solutions involve both opioids and hot water bottles.

I can rarely get through a period without Solpadeine.

Janetsmug · 28/02/2024 08:49

Buscopan (anti-spasmodic usually used for IBS cramping) can be helpful if you can get to a chemist or supermarket OP?

Lastandfirst · 28/02/2024 08:50

Was going to suggest the heat pad. They are usually in the section for back and muscle pain in boots.

Alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen but don’t go over the amount you should have in 24hrs.

I also find that a drink like Lucozade sport helps and plenty of water.

Good Luck it’s crap x

FusionChefGeoff · 28/02/2024 08:52

Is there anything work wise you can strip out of the day to allow you to save yourself for the really vital stuff?? Random networking etc?? Can you not attend if audience (no one will notice?!) so you're rested for when you're the star???

AntonFeckoff · 28/02/2024 10:29

Buscopan can help

Won’t be helpful for today but you could also ask for a prescription for a strong NSAID like naproxen, which shouldn’t make you feel out of it like opioids can.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.