My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Would you call doctor about this or am I ' anxious ' ?

9 replies

quucj · 10/02/2024 16:30

I've had a few bouts of a bad tummy recently.

It comes on in the middle of the night with cramps and whilst it's happening, my palms are really itchy. I don't have a rash on my hands or anything, it's not my skin. My skin looks normal.

It takes around 2 hours. Then it's all over and my palms stop itching once it's over.

I wanted to talk to a doctor about it. I read the notes on my health record and it says that I was anxious. The doctor also said that anxiety could be causing this.

How can anxiety be causing this ?

OP posts:
NewyearNC · 10/02/2024 16:32

Sorry OP I’m not clear from your post if you’ve already seen your doctor - I would definitely see my GP about that. If it’s persisting or worsening and your anxiety is otherwise well controlled the rest of the time then go back

quucj · 10/02/2024 16:33

NewyearNC · 10/02/2024 16:32

Sorry OP I’m not clear from your post if you’ve already seen your doctor - I would definitely see my GP about that. If it’s persisting or worsening and your anxiety is otherwise well controlled the rest of the time then go back

Sorry! Yes I did speak to the GP. Who thought I was anxious and it could be caused by anxiety.

OP posts:
Savvysavermum · 10/02/2024 16:34

Personally I would ask a pharmacist first, they may recognise what it is or advise you to speak to a gp or when to contact if things worsen. If they say to see a gp it may curry favour with the receptionists when booking an appointment too. If it’s not serious then it keeps it off of your records.

Dacadactyl · 10/02/2024 16:35

Anxiety can definitely cause physical symptoms like stomach pains etc.

I would go back to doctor and say "if it's anxiety, I need more help to manage that because these symptoms are debilitating. Is there anything you can offer to assist with getting my anxiety under control"

Savvysavermum · 10/02/2024 16:35

Piriton may ease symptoms. Just seen you’ve been seen already did they recommend anything to you? Have you done a food diary?

NewyearNC · 10/02/2024 16:36

Ah in that case - you could go back and say you really don’t think it’s anxiety related and would like to exclude other causes. Or ask to see a different doctor? The problem with the way GP services are set up in the UK is that there is an assumption problems have resolved if you don’t go back

KnowledgeableMomma · 10/02/2024 16:53

I think a key component here ......is the cramping WAKING you from sleep or are you already awake when this happens? Waking you from sleep is very unlikely to be anxiety while the cramping happening while you are awake could.

quucj · 10/02/2024 16:57

KnowledgeableMomma · 10/02/2024 16:53

I think a key component here ......is the cramping WAKING you from sleep or are you already awake when this happens? Waking you from sleep is very unlikely to be anxiety while the cramping happening while you are awake could.

It totally wakes me up.

OP posts:
KnowledgeableMomma · 10/02/2024 17:04

quucj · 10/02/2024 16:57

It totally wakes me up.

Then ring GP, get an appointment, and tell them you'd like to investigate this further due to the fact that it wakes you from sleep, has continued and not gotten better, and you'd like some tests to rule out anything more serious.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.