My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

How many weeks before an event do you send out your invitations?

18 replies

AgentPeña · 08/02/2024 19:32

I believe this is a divisive subject.

Please tell me your opinion?

For me, I don't really care, but would generally prefer more, rather than less notice.

OP posts:
Sparklesocks · 08/02/2024 19:34

It depends on the event. Weddings for example would be sent much further ahead than a birthday night out in the pub, and I’d do it a bit earlier than usual for say a birthday that had a venue booked or it was a special one. There’s no hard and fast rule for me, depends on the event and context.

Snowdropsarecoming · 08/02/2024 19:36

What’s the event? Wedding, child birthday party or something else?

AgentPeña · 08/02/2024 19:37

Friends' joint 40th

OP posts:
AgentPeña · 08/02/2024 19:37

But I'm asking in general

OP posts:
AhBiscuits · 08/02/2024 19:39

I'm going to a friend's joint 40th next week and got the invitation 3 months ago. I thought that was quite early, I'd probably have done 2 months.

KnickerlessFlannel · 08/02/2024 19:40

6-8 weeks, although if you're a parent at dds school, it doesn't matter, half of the rude fuckers won't rsvp regardless of time frame

FineWordsForAPorcupine · 08/02/2024 19:46

I send out invites as soon as the event was arranged (why wait) so it would depend on how far in advance the event needed to be organised.

You say it's a joint 40th - big deal with venue, caterers, a DJ, etc? I would expect that to be minimum six weeks. Local drinks in a pub/house party? Maybe two weeks.

If I was given say, a week's notice to a big event that clearly required advanced planning, I guess I'd assume I was...not in the A list of invites.

(I mean, I'd still go if I was free - I love a party.)

IDontWantToBeAPieIDontLikeGravy · 08/02/2024 19:48

Kids party 3-4 weeks, though both my kids have birthdays at prime time for people to already have plans so I like to give a decent amount of notice.

Adults birthday thing probably 6 weeks or so, most of my family and friends are scattered around so it’s a long drive/overnight stay for a get together.

FineWordsForAPorcupine · 08/02/2024 19:48

AhBiscuits · 08/02/2024 19:39

I'm going to a friend's joint 40th next week and got the invitation 3 months ago. I thought that was quite early, I'd probably have done 2 months.

That's interesting - why do you think they should have given people two months notice rather than three? I would have thought the more notice the better.

AhBiscuits · 08/02/2024 19:51

FineWordsForAPorcupine · 08/02/2024 19:48

That's interesting - why do you think they should have given people two months notice rather than three? I would have thought the more notice the better.

I mean 3 months is fine, it just feels like more than necessary. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Contraversialcate · 08/02/2024 19:54

I am a month and 2 days away from daughters christening and most attendees will need to travel / book accommodation - guess I should get myself organised!

ComtesseDeSpair · 08/02/2024 19:55

At least three months. If anyone invited most of my friends or I to anything with just 6 weeks notice there’s no way we’d be free.

People have calendars. They can put the event in when they receive the invitation. They aren’t going to forget because they had too much notice, unless they’re idiots.

PuttingDownRoots · 08/02/2024 19:59

I've already had a 40th birthday invitation for September. But its DHs best friend...

Also depends if people will be travelling and staying overnight.

CreepyDibillo · 08/02/2024 20:18

The more notice the better, especially if the event is in December.
It's not unusual for my closest group of friends and I to make plans 6 months in advance.

sunflowerdaisyrose · 08/02/2024 21:06

For something that requires overnight stay/travel the more notice the better for our family! My friends invited me to their 40ths the other day 6 months in advance. I appreciate it! Saying that I was invited out on sat this week today and I'm going, but it's local.

hottchocolate · 08/02/2024 21:08

I agree the more notice the better

Anoisagusaris · 08/02/2024 21:30

Can’t really answer it ‘generally’ as it varies depending on the event. Obviously a wedding or big occasion requiring overnight stays require more notice than a child’s party for friends in the local soft play centre.

Rocknrollstar · 08/02/2024 21:59

For our Golden Wedding Anniversary we booked the venue 6 months in advance and sent out a ‘save the date’ email. We then sent out the invitations a couple of months before the party. Friends have just sent us a ‘save the date’ for their anniversary in August.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.