My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask what to look for/prioritise in second house viewing?

8 replies

Acapulco12 · 07/02/2024 22:12

Due to do a second house viewing tomorrow and just wondering what I should look for? I’m a first time buyer, so very new to this.

I think I should check out things like the garden (didn’t properly look at it on the first viewing, but it looked okay), the shed/outhouse in the garden, maybe just check there are enough plugs/sockets in the rooms and maybe check the fuse box looks in good condition?

Anything else I should look for? The house has a loft extension so I’ll check the ceiling/walls there for any signs of damp. I checked the boiler on my previous viewing and it looks good and is quite new.

I’ve done a Google and lots of sites are suggesting things like checking the water pressure on the taps, checking the light switches and lights work well and opening cupboards/wardrobes to check for signs of damp or wear and tear. These checks seem quite intrusive though - would it be necessary to do these? The house I’m viewing is still being lived-in, although I’ll be shown around by the estate agent rather than the homeowner.

Thanks!

OP posts:
ArtisticMeeg · 07/02/2024 22:17

I'd definitely advise checking the water pressure. Especially upstairs.

HouseOfRunners · 07/02/2024 22:46

Windows and doors- do they open, lock (if so are all the keys there?), shut properly etc.
Kitchen where washing machine is, sink, dishwasher - any signs of leaks?
Bathroom - shower, taps, pressure, extractor working etc.?
Look in low corners of rooms for damp as well as up towards the ceiling for leaks.
Fires - gas, electric, log burner…all working as they should be? Last time checked for safety.
Boiler - you say it’s quite new, have they given you an installation date or can prove regular servicing?
Loft - have a look with a torch, any wet areas, large visible cracks etc.

charabang · 07/02/2024 23:18

Check the doors open and shut properly, run the water to see if it gets hot enough, ask them to put heating on and check every radiator, open and shut all windows, check ceilings for signs of leaks, check gutterings for weeds, check built in appliances are working.

Don't worry about feeling intrusive. These things can be costly to put right. All those things on my list are what I should have checked but didn't...to my cost.

Caroparo52 · 07/02/2024 23:35

If you are a normal person like me you won't really know a good boiler or a damp wall.
If you have your offer accepted then get a good survey done. Best 500 odd quid you will ever spend. They are the professionals who will check this stuff on your behalf. Then you can negotiate the price based on facts from survey.
I recommend looking at half a dozen similar properties to get a feel of the marketplace.

alwayscrashinginthesamecar1 · 07/02/2024 23:45

I wouldn't worry too much about being intrusive. Its probably the biggest purchase of your life and I assume you aren't going to be rummaging in their knicker drawer. We took a knowledgeable friend along for our second viewing, he checked water pressure in all the taps, flushed toilets, checked the air con was working, checked all light switches etc. We also paid for a full survey which was worth every penny as he pointed out a few things like broken roller door in garage, fire alarms out of date, not enough drainage on the al fresco, which the vendor fixed for us. The only thing which we didn't check was the pool pump, and sure enough that died two months after moving in! Our vendor was great though, she admitted the dishwasher was acting up and bought us a new one! So don't be shy, the estate agent will be expecting you to have a good look.

BreakingAndBroke · 07/02/2024 23:51

As well as inside the house, check what the parking is like on the road, ask what the neighbours are like (you can even knock on the nextdoor neighbours doors if you are feeling brave and ask what the area is like, any wild parties at 3am, barking dogs, noisy neighbours etc)

mondaytosunday · 08/02/2024 01:41

While all above are good suggestions most of them are easy fixes that wouldn't stop a purchase. Yes damp, structure and parking/neighbourhood need to be considered. The structure and boiler and electrics are what a survey is for (and if a house get a proper one done, not the Homebuyers),
But what makes a house a home is how it feels: I'd take time to imagine spending Christmas there - can you picture it? Can you see your kids (if you have or will have them) playing in the garden? Having a BBQ? Does it envelope you and make you feel 'at home'? Part of that is down to decoration and having your things around you, but I always get a feeling from a house.
You must like it enough already, so yes look at it again with a critical eye: will you tolerate having to manoeuvre that pillar to reach the kitchen, is the bath and separate shower too tight a squeeze, will the layout support a separate dining area, are the bedrooms big enough for your can't live without bed, are there power points a plenty for that Christmas tree?? All these have bugged me in previous houses! Good luck!

Iona40 · 08/02/2024 07:43

Go there in the evening to see what it is like, walk from public transport to house to see what the walk is like. Check for damp smells. Don't worry about intrusiveness you are spending a huge sum.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.