Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To feel like I have just been bribed

37 replies

CharlieRight · 06/02/2024 14:38

A supplier has just sent me ten bottles of wine, each worth between $80 and $170. We buy millions of dollars from them per year so maybe it’s just a proportionate gesture of thanks, it’s kind of a cultural thing to send gifts at this time of year.

But it isn’t something that I have experienced before, it’s very extravagant and although I could buy it for myself I don’t think I have ever spent more than $20 on a bottle outside of a restaurant,

AIBU? It’s fine just enjoy the culture

NBU watch yourself you’re on a slippery slope

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

128 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
68%
You are NOT being unreasonable
32%
Cyclebabble · 06/02/2024 18:22

I think that is a very clear bribe. Within financial services we have strict guidance on gifts and hospitality. Usually this means that gifts above a moderate limit (£200), should be refused and ones below this level should be registered and subject to Manager approval. At the very least a gift of this type would be seen to compromise your independence in managing the contract/making future purchases.

EvelynBeatrice · 06/02/2024 18:30

In the U.K. and many other legal jurisdictions you'd have to be very wary of this due to anti bribery legislation.
If your company doesn't have a policy, personally id make sure that you notify someone in management/ get it on record formally and seek guidance on whether appropriate to keep in office / personally or return. Maybe suggest a log be kept of such gifts so all is transparent and above board. Even in the most stringent regimes, small gifts ( eg pen, golf umbrella, maybe some corp entertainment !) are usually fine, provided you're not in a tendering or contract renewal period, for example, when it might be regarded as having undue influence on decision making.
In short, cover your back. Make it management's problem, not yours!

CaptainBeesKeeper · 06/02/2024 18:31

i would presume its a gift that or an error on orders

Papillon23 · 06/02/2024 18:35

I would make sure I flagged to my boss that I'd had the gift so that it was in writing and then enjoy it if there's no policy!

Where I am I'm not even allowed to accept anything more than a fiver so I would be having to give it back sadly.

Bearbookagainandagain · 06/02/2024 19:14

I guess it depends on your industry. I work in a highly regulated field and this coming from a customer would definitely be considered bribery.

But even from suppliers in lower risk areas (e.g. marketing agencies providing basic services), the company policy is not to accept any gifts and send them back if we receive any.

Bearbookagainandagain · 06/02/2024 19:20

And this is 100% a bribe by the way, they don't send this to a customer just to "thank you". The real question is whether bribes are allowed/legal or not.

CuriousGeorge80 · 06/02/2024 19:28

If you are employed and in the Uk your company should have a policy on this and you should, as a minimum, have to disclose it.

idontlikealdi · 06/02/2024 19:30

I'm in the uk, my company is headquartered in Canada. Our entire supply chain has to abide by our policies. We wouldn't be working with you anymore if you were in our supply chain.

Ametora · 06/02/2024 20:57

GeneCity · 06/02/2024 17:12

Er, the company needs a policy about this. It's to protect everyone.

It is a locally owned factory in China
Too busy shipping the disabled, underage and forced labour out for when the EU buyers come for the annual factory checks.

CharlieRight · 07/02/2024 00:16

Ametora · 06/02/2024 20:57

It is a locally owned factory in China
Too busy shipping the disabled, underage and forced labour out for when the EU buyers come for the annual factory checks.

Somewhat off topic and also somewhat untrue but don’t let ignorance stop you, thank you for your input.

OP posts:
Ametora · 07/02/2024 08:20

CharlieRight · 07/02/2024 00:16

Somewhat off topic and also somewhat untrue but don’t let ignorance stop you, thank you for your input.

Sadly had experience of this. Oddly no-one wanted a 2 week trip to China as it was so frustrating.

Your factory may be ok but many are not.

SquirrelsAssemble · 07/02/2024 16:47

Write your own policy that gifts over £5 go into a colleague raffle & promote a bit of goodwill.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.