My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think this is the most selfish behaviour I've ever heard?

23 replies

donkeylove · 03/02/2024 13:20

A friend very recently went on holiday abroad with a male friend of hers (he's gay, so nothing going on between them).
Prior to getting the taxi to the airport, he decided to moth-bomb his flat. This was in the early hours of the morning.
The moth-bombs set off his smoke alarms. Instead of dealing with the situation, he worried that he was going to be late for the flight. So left his flat at 3am in the taxi with the smoke alarms going off.
He then phoned the emergency services from the taxi, and explained the situation to the fire brigade. He asked that they go round to his flat and turn off the smoke alarms, and told them where to find the spare key. This they did.
My friend mentioned that he was stressing at the airport in case they were going to charge him for this. He is well-off and I wish they had charged the selfish, entitled bastard (last I heard, they hadn't). Poor neighbours too Sad
I was visibly shocked when my friend recounted this to me, and told her what I thought. However she didn't seem to think he had done anything wrong! Confused
AIBU?

OP posts:
ohididntrealise · 03/02/2024 13:22

Yes, he is a selfish twat and I can't believe the fire brigade did this.

Unbelievable

Terrrence · 03/02/2024 13:24

Selfish but it can't be the most selfish behaviour you have ever heard for.

donkeylove · 03/02/2024 13:26

Terrrence · 03/02/2024 13:24

Selfish but it can't be the most selfish behaviour you have ever heard for.

Well, slightly hyperbolic perhaps. Still breathtakingly selfish though.

OP posts:
jeaux90 · 03/02/2024 13:33

Entitled and selfish

Babadook76 · 03/02/2024 13:35

Well yes, it is ridiculous. How long would it have taken to sort the alarms? Minutes? Unless he was stupidly late going to the airport. Most people know to leave with hours to spare

LardoBurrows · 03/02/2024 13:42

Selfish, entitled wanker, Obviously a complete birdbrain, I mean it would have taken only a few minutes to sort out the alarms. I really wish the Fire Service had charged the fuckwit.

donkeylove · 03/02/2024 13:43

LardoBurrows · 03/02/2024 13:42

Selfish, entitled wanker, Obviously a complete birdbrain, I mean it would have taken only a few minutes to sort out the alarms. I really wish the Fire Service had charged the fuckwit.

Absolutely. And me too.

OP posts:
Tilleuil · 03/02/2024 13:53

Years ago a friend of a colleague thought it would be fun to say hello to his friend who was flying a light aircraft over the fields behind his house.
The idiot sent up a flare!
Fortunately it didn’t hit the plane but it set fire to the field when it landed and the fire brigade were obviously called.
It baffles me why men get promoted over women. They’re much more likely to do stupid stuff.

NerdyBird · 03/02/2024 13:54

Did he perhaps not quite tell the truth? I really can't imagine the fire brigade doing this like it's nothing. Why not just ask a friend or neighbour to do it? This is very strange!

VisionsOfSplendour · 03/02/2024 14:02

Is this in the UK? Why would the fire brigade do that?

donkeylove · 03/02/2024 14:03

NerdyBird · 03/02/2024 13:54

Did he perhaps not quite tell the truth? I really can't imagine the fire brigade doing this like it's nothing. Why not just ask a friend or neighbour to do it? This is very strange!

This is also a possibility, I guess.
From what I've heard, he is easily stressed/highly strung, so probably panicked. Idiot.

OP posts:
donkeylove · 03/02/2024 14:04

VisionsOfSplendour · 03/02/2024 14:02

Is this in the UK? Why would the fire brigade do that?

Yes, Scotland. I'm now wondering if he fudged the truth.

OP posts:
PandaCwtch · 03/02/2024 14:07

I also suspect he didn't tell the truth to the fire service. He more likely told them that a neighbour has called him to say the alarms are sounding, but he's hours away, so can they check it out (in case there's a fire...)

EnglishPearFreesia · 03/02/2024 14:08

I've been on this earth more than half a century and I've never heard of a moth bomb. Is this normal that people are invaded by moths. Wth. 😂😂

User2356542 · 03/02/2024 14:09

If it's any consolation, he will almost certainly get billed for causing a false alarm. False alarms that get cancelled before a fire truck gets sent out are fine, but if the fire department has actually arrived on the scene to open the door then it will be billed. Especially since they had confirmation from the perpetrator that he knew there was no real fire involved. Even if lied over the phone, it would be clear to them upon arrival that the person phoning in had set off a moth bomb, therefore he was aware the trigger was fine particles, and not fire-related smoke.

It was an incredibly stupid thing to do and he will end up having to pay around £500-£1000 depending on the exact costs of the incident. The billing process is slow so this could happen up to 6 months later.

donkeylove · 03/02/2024 14:15

PandaCwtch · 03/02/2024 14:07

I also suspect he didn't tell the truth to the fire service. He more likely told them that a neighbour has called him to say the alarms are sounding, but he's hours away, so can they check it out (in case there's a fire...)

Oh, this would be very annoying ... probably true alas.

OP posts:

User2356542 · 03/02/2024 14:09

If it's any consolation, he will almost certainly get billed for causing a false alarm. False alarms that get cancelled before a fire truck gets sent out are fine, but if the fire department has actually arrived on the scene to open the door then it will be billed. Especially since they had confirmation from the perpetrator that he knew there was no real fire involved. Even if lied over the phone, it would be clear to them upon arrival that the person phoning in had set off a moth bomb, therefore he was aware the trigger was fine particles, and not fire-related smoke.

It was an incredibly stupid thing to do and he will end up having to pay around £500-£1000 depending on the exact costs of the incident. The billing process is slow so this could happen up to 6 months later.

Edited

I am keeping everything crossed Grin

OP posts:

EnglishPearFreesia · 03/02/2024 14:08

I've been on this earth more than half a century and I've never heard of a moth bomb. Is this normal that people are invaded by moths. Wth. 😂😂

Most probably clothes moths.

OP posts:
User2356542 · 03/02/2024 14:21

I am keeping everything crossed Grin

It's similar to a traffic violation, lots of bureaucracy involved so the fine will arrive many months later. We know people who this has happened to and it took ages but they definitely had to pay for it.

determinedtomakethiswork · 03/02/2024 16:08

Moths in Scotland in December? Really?

Tooolde · 03/02/2024 16:43

He may not have been able to just turn them off...

Crooklodge · 03/02/2024 16:49

Tooolde · 03/02/2024 16:43

He may not have been able to just turn them off...

It's not exactly difficult is it, remove the fogger/bomb and open the windows.

I know someone that did similar with flea bombs, she was charged by the fire brigade.

JMSA · 03/02/2024 17:38

determinedtomakethiswork · 03/02/2024 16:08

Moths in Scotland in December? Really?

They will contentedly breed in centrally heated homes throughout the year.
Hope that helps.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.