Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Who's GP is doing private appointments?

23 replies

justasking111 · 02/02/2024 15:24

I've looked online and can't find a local GP doing private appointments. All I can find is AXA, SPIRE BUPA anonymous referral blurb. Are GPs not allowed to admit that they take private patients.

I am in Wales where the rules maybe different.

YABU take what you are given

YANBU if you're paying you should be able to choose

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

13 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
69%
You are NOT being unreasonable
31%
Sahara123 · 02/02/2024 15:29

Do you mean an NHS GP working privately? I’ve never heard of that , ours wouldn’t have time let alone the inclination! And they are fab anyway.
Consultants yes but not GPs

PeloMom · 02/02/2024 15:32

Admittedly in England not wales, I had to go to a private GP and as you said, Bupa etc had bit also there were some other private office not associated with the big insurance companies. However those were not GPs who were in the NHS and accepting private clients. They were part of a private clinic

hopeishere · 02/02/2024 15:34

Very few so this. Our local private hospital has GPs though so if you have similar where you are try there?

softkitty79 · 02/02/2024 15:34

An NHS (in England don't quote me on wales) GP practice would be in breach of it's contract if it offered private service to it's own registered patients (that applies to usual NHS services, including consultations, not private letters, some travel services etc)

idontlikealdi · 02/02/2024 15:36

I don't really understand your question. NHS GPs don't see private patients here, not sure about Wales. I have 24 hour access to a private GP through work online. BUPA etc kick in when a referral is needed.

MojoMoon · 02/02/2024 15:38

GPs can work part time for an NHS practice and part time for a private practice if they want but those two practices will be different. Different companies, different offices usually etc.

Basically two part time jobs.

An NHS GP practice cannot take private patients as part of the same company that provides the NHS services but I guess it could set up a separate company that ran private services.

GP surgeries are private companies anyway, even in the NHS. GP Partners own the surgeries traditionally albeit that is changing as more companies run them instead. This has been the case since 1948 - GPs were not NHS employees, but NHS service providers.

https://keepournhspublic.com/but-arent-all-gps-private-anyway/#:~:text=Since%20the%20inception%20of%20the,which%20could%20not%20be%20nationalised.

But aren’t all GPs private anyway?

Join your voice to our call for the government to give health workers what they need to fight the pandemic.

https://keepournhspublic.com/but-arent-all-gps-private-anyway#:~:text=Since%20the%20inception%20of%20the,which%20could%20not%20be%20nationalised.

Houseplantmad · 02/02/2024 15:39

Our GP does - part time in NHS and part time privately.

MojoMoon · 02/02/2024 15:42

Is your question: " how do I find a specific named private GP to see rather than just see whoever BUPA/AXA provides?"

I have private GP access via work but it never lists their names. Have only used it once though.

YouAndMeAndThem · 02/02/2024 15:47

There are loads of online private GP services. But normal GP practices don't run private clinics. Not like dentists can/do.

justasking111 · 02/02/2024 16:09

Found our GP on companies house, he's part of a regional private company which is what got me wondering.

When we got married changed surgery. Senior partner had private patients and NHS patients. A past boyfriends mum saw patients in her home privately as well as her NHS work. This was decades ago.

Maybe the rules have changed.

But why is it okay for consultants to openly advertise but not GPs?

OP posts:
MojoMoon · 02/02/2024 16:39

Your GP may own the GP surgery that you attend for NHS services (or even a chain of GP surgeries in an area). The surgery will have a contract to provide NHS services but is not owned by the NHS.

Practices that have NHS services cannot offer private services to the patients on their list.

But the employees of the surgery (which will be most of the GPs) could offer private services via other companies. So the GP you see at your NHS service on Thursday may work on Fridays for a private company.

But yes, they don't tend to advertise personally like a consultant - I guess because mostly you see a private GP as a gatekeeper to seeing consultants rather than for ongoing GP services so perhaps no real benefit to having a personal profile to attract patients? They are mostly a one off appointment to get you to the consultant?

lieselotte · 02/02/2024 16:49

softkitty79 · 02/02/2024 15:34

An NHS (in England don't quote me on wales) GP practice would be in breach of it's contract if it offered private service to it's own registered patients (that applies to usual NHS services, including consultations, not private letters, some travel services etc)

Is that a reasonably new thing? Our GP surgery used to offer some private services like removing moles (but we enquired about it before covid, so I am not sure what the rules are now).

ClematisRock · 02/02/2024 17:04

MojoMoon · 02/02/2024 16:39

Your GP may own the GP surgery that you attend for NHS services (or even a chain of GP surgeries in an area). The surgery will have a contract to provide NHS services but is not owned by the NHS.

Practices that have NHS services cannot offer private services to the patients on their list.

But the employees of the surgery (which will be most of the GPs) could offer private services via other companies. So the GP you see at your NHS service on Thursday may work on Fridays for a private company.

But yes, they don't tend to advertise personally like a consultant - I guess because mostly you see a private GP as a gatekeeper to seeing consultants rather than for ongoing GP services so perhaps no real benefit to having a personal profile to attract patients? They are mostly a one off appointment to get you to the consultant?

This will explain why so many practices have a lot of GPs that seem to only work part time.

Dogdilemma2000 · 02/02/2024 17:17

Sahara123 · 02/02/2024 15:29

Do you mean an NHS GP working privately? I’ve never heard of that , ours wouldn’t have time let alone the inclination! And they are fab anyway.
Consultants yes but not GPs

NHS GP’s have had private patients for decades. They were seeing them in the same surgeries as NHS in the 90’s.

Surgeries are all private companies contracted by the NHS, GPs can see private patients outside of NHS time.

Sahara123 · 02/02/2024 17:44

Well you learn something new every day!

laclochette · 02/02/2024 18:17

I just Googled "private GP practice Wales" and got absolutely loads of results! What are you searching for?

Thedance · 02/02/2024 18:26

I don't think NHS GPs have time to take private patients. Ours doesn't take them. But there are some private GP practices you can go to I think

justasking111 · 02/02/2024 18:27

laclochette · 02/02/2024 18:17

I just Googled "private GP practice Wales" and got absolutely loads of results! What are you searching for?

One near me. I'm in Llandudno. I thought I'd found one but despite their blurb. They're in Cheshire

OP posts:
laclochette · 02/02/2024 18:36

Hm yes see what you mean OP. Ultimately I guess this is the issue with private businesses, they'll go where it's profitable and perhaps there isn't sufficient demand yet in your area.

You could try an online consultation, depending on what you need to see them about?

justasking111 · 02/02/2024 18:37

Thedance · 02/02/2024 18:26

I don't think NHS GPs have time to take private patients. Ours doesn't take them. But there are some private GP practices you can go to I think

We have 11 GPs in our surgery. Two work full time. 3 do two days a week. 4 do 2.5 days a week. Two do three days a week.

Our receptionists after asking questions often refer to a nurse which I've no problem with because the nurse can either deal with it or refers you back to reception for a GP appointment. You then get a telephone call from the GP within 48 hours. They'll either sort over the phone ask you to come in that day or ask you to phone for an appointment at 8am the following day. It's a bit long winded but it seems to work.

OP posts:
marmaladeandpeanutbutter · 02/02/2024 21:56

I'm not aware that they do. It wouldn't surprise me if the ones sold to American businesses do, though, especially as no NHS patients seem to get appointments, from what I've read.

As I've said a ton of times, privatisation by stealth.

RawBloomers · 02/02/2024 22:33

As I've said a ton of times, privatisation by stealth.

How is it privatisation by stealth when it’s always been this way?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.