Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

7 interviews and didn’t get the job

36 replies

Interviewreject · 27/01/2024 01:36

I have been interviewing with a company and have met 8 people over 7 interviews. Communication has always been very quick and now nothing. Ghosted after 7 interviews (and a lot of my time). I have followed up but no response. Have seen the team posting the role on LinkedIn since my last meeting so it doesn’t seem as if they have hired someone else.

Is this usual to have some many interviews and not hear back?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

128 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
6%
You are NOT being unreasonable
94%
Puddingpieplum · 27/01/2024 10:54

Lucky escape. I'm amazed you went along g with it to be honest, 3 interviews is the norm for a 100k role, were you going for CEO or suchlike?

ArnieLinson · 27/01/2024 10:55

7 interviews is ridiculous anyway. what was the salary for that interview process?!

my dh regularly job hunts. They always involved a presentation of how he work approach something. He has become very sceptical. More than once he has been able to find evidence of his work for interview when he hasnt got the job, and sometimes he has also found out they didnt recruit anyone. He is now convinced some companies do this to get fresh ideas.

Interviewreject · 27/01/2024 12:24

Thank you all.

It did seem like there was something else going on as it’s a lot of people to meet.

it’s a well paid position but no where near CEO - middle management at best.

OP posts:
Youcunnyfunt · 27/01/2024 12:29

I got to interview 8 with a company once who wanted to call me in for a ninth. I declined and went with a company who took me on the first interview, told the first company I wasn’t going to wait any more and I’d secured a job else where! It was ridiculous. The position was for no more than £35k at best!

Puzzledandpissedoff · 27/01/2024 12:31

I have a feeling (they’ve been recruiting a while) that they had no one else and I was an OK option to present to senior stakeholders to show they were making some progress

I suspect you could be right and that you've been used as a pawn in someone else's game, but not to get back to you at all is a disgrace

As a recruitment professional myself - though retired now - I'd never advocate attending this many "interviews" unless it was for something truly exceptional

At least you know the company's one to avoid in future though ...

Oblomov23 · 27/01/2024 12:57

7 interviews is a pisstake. 2, 3 max for a senior position. What are you going to do now?

Starseeking · 28/01/2024 03:05

No, it's not normal. I'd expect 3 interviews at most for Exec level, 2 for middle management, 1 for junior roles.

The company sounds disorganised and dysfunctional, so you've probably dodged a bullet.

Onwards and upwards!

crew2022 · 28/01/2024 03:18

Lucky escape if that's how they treat people. I always offer feedback to anyone who has got through to final stage. I know they've invested time and effort and I want them to get something out of it even if it's not the job.

WalkingThroughTreacle · 28/01/2024 03:20

You've had a lucky escape. If it takes them seven interviews to decide if they want to hire someone, imagine what it would be like working there. It's symptomatic of an grossly inefficient organisation where nobody has the confidence or trust to just make a decision.

macedoniann · 28/01/2024 03:26

YANBU what a pisstake.
I can understand several rounds of online tests/AI scored video interviews. Even then no more than 3 before talking to a real person.
7 in-person? Each with a single person?

You really don't want to work there. Even if they call back and offer not a great idea to accept unless you're desperate.

Interviewreject · 04/02/2024 00:52

Still no rejection or response. Do you think I can send this or is it pointless?

Hi XX,

Given it’s been a couple of weeks since my last interview / contact with X firm, I have concluded that my candidacy was not successful.

As a candidate, feedback of any kind is always gratefully received and provides a much more positive candidate experience and view of the firm.

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me and for scheduling all subsequent interviews and best of luck filling the role.

Thanks,
Reject

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.