Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Thrush / BV

13 replies

relentlessissue · 26/01/2024 14:09

I posted the other day and didn't get many responses so shamelessly posting here for trafffic

I often have a fishy smell down there especially after sex
I know this is probably BV but I've had antibiotics and it keeps coming back. There must be a natural way to treat it or something I can do to prevent it?

It's especially bad if we don't use a condom (on hormonal patch) but still happens even with condom. Initially I thought it was some weird sensitivity to my partners sperm

For years I suffered thrush after long term antibiotic use but I've not been on them for ages now.

I take a daily probiotic. I've tried showering with and without femfresh products

Please help!

OP posts:
Copen · 26/01/2024 14:24

I gave you the answer on your last thread - garlic tablets. They have been found to be as effective as antibiotics for BV.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4166107/

relentlessissue · 26/01/2024 18:39

Copen · 26/01/2024 14:24

I gave you the answer on your last thread - garlic tablets. They have been found to be as effective as antibiotics for BV.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4166107/

Thanks I should've said I've taken allitech capsules in the past and they never helped much. I'll give them another try

OP posts:
Didimum · 26/01/2024 18:40

Boots Thrush/BV pessaries I’ve found excellent.

Teasie123 · 26/01/2024 18:41

@relentlessissue , get Ur partner to get treated too. The exact same thing was happening to me. The bacteria that gives u BV is under his foreskin. Treat both of you at the same time. That LL stop it completely.🤗🤗

Jennyjojo5 · 26/01/2024 19:21

Chronic BV is very common annoyingly! Sometimes it just comes back again and again and again, the only proven effective treatment is antibiotics but you’re right that it often comes right back again (I’ve had it 25 years!)

ive tried everything; been on clinical trials etc. ive tried probiotics, garlic, never using soap below, inserted vitamin c tablets, you name it I’ve tried it! Absolutely everything. Doctors don’t care, as it’s a woman’s problem and the only recognised treatment is antibiotics.

all the over the counter treatments simply mask the symptoms, they don’t treat them. The only effective thing I’ve found (again it only masks it) is boric acid suppositories which I order from the US (can’t get them in the uk)

relentlessissue · 26/01/2024 20:19

Jennyjojo5 · 26/01/2024 19:21

Chronic BV is very common annoyingly! Sometimes it just comes back again and again and again, the only proven effective treatment is antibiotics but you’re right that it often comes right back again (I’ve had it 25 years!)

ive tried everything; been on clinical trials etc. ive tried probiotics, garlic, never using soap below, inserted vitamin c tablets, you name it I’ve tried it! Absolutely everything. Doctors don’t care, as it’s a woman’s problem and the only recognised treatment is antibiotics.

all the over the counter treatments simply mask the symptoms, they don’t treat them. The only effective thing I’ve found (again it only masks it) is boric acid suppositories which I order from the US (can’t get them in the uk)

Goodness me. I'm so sorry to hear this. Surely someone on MN has some tips?! It sounds like it needs to be treated from within but how 🤔

OP posts:

Teasie123 · 26/01/2024 18:41

@relentlessissue , get Ur partner to get treated too. The exact same thing was happening to me. The bacteria that gives u BV is under his foreskin. Treat both of you at the same time. That LL stop it completely.🤗🤗

Thank you. I'll try this

OP posts:
Jennyjojo5 · 26/01/2024 20:34

Goodness me. I'm so sorry to hear this. Surely someone on MN has some tips?! It sounds like it needs to be treated from within but how 🤔

The tips rarely work ( not long term anyway!). Believe me I’ve been on thousands of forums etc for yeaaaaarrrsss! The only things which may slightly help (or at least slightly delay reoccurrence are)

antibiotics
over the counter treatment (bear in mind they mask and don’t actually treat)
no soap at all down there - water only
panty liners (I find wearing them makes it less ‘damp’ there and seems to help delay onset where it’s chronic)
people say use probiotics (but never helped me)
condoms during sex (it’s usually the sperm which triggers it )
cotton pants only
sleep naked overnight to air it lol
wash pants on highest temperature each time

my biggest triggers are sperm and soap, guaranteed to get a recurrence

oh and if someone genuinely finds a treatment which prevents it/prevents a recurrence, they will very quickly become a billionaire as it’s one of the most common gynaecological issues for women.

Chipsahoy · 26/01/2024 20:38

I had bv symptoms for two years! It happened after every period but went away after a couple of days. I tried the treatment but didn’t seem to help and burned a lot! I’ve been taking these for three months and the last two periods I’ve not had any symptoms.

NutriZing Probiotics for Women Gut Health - Scientifically Proven Bio Cultures for Women’s Intimate Flora - Lactobacillus Reuteri and Lactobacillus Rhamnosus - Vegan Womens Probiotics 2.5billion CFU https://amzn.eu/d/ayn8mPt?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

relentlessissue · 26/01/2024 20:54

Chipsahoy · 26/01/2024 20:38

I had bv symptoms for two years! It happened after every period but went away after a couple of days. I tried the treatment but didn’t seem to help and burned a lot! I’ve been taking these for three months and the last two periods I’ve not had any symptoms.

NutriZing Probiotics for Women Gut Health - Scientifically Proven Bio Cultures for Women’s Intimate Flora - Lactobacillus Reuteri and Lactobacillus Rhamnosus - Vegan Womens Probiotics 2.5billion CFU https://amzn.eu/d/ayn8mPt?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Thank you I'll try these ones

OP posts:
relentlessissue · 26/01/2024 20:55

@Jennyjojo5 thank you. I'll try those tips. Have you tried applying yogurt down there? I've not but heard good things about it..

OP posts:
Jennyjojo5 · 26/01/2024 20:58

relentlessissue · 26/01/2024 20:55

@Jennyjojo5 thank you. I'll try those tips. Have you tried applying yogurt down there? I've not but heard good things about it..

yep I’ve tried it all. But yoghurt isn’t gonna kill the overgrowth of the bad bacteria down there.

relentlessissue · 26/01/2024 21:22

Thnks @Jennyjojo5 appreciate your input

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.