Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Fractured toes from loose shoes?

15 replies

lunepremiere79 · 24/01/2024 22:10

Not a aibu, posting here for traffic.. just wondering if anyone has had this before and how long it lasted.. two weeks ago I wore new boots which were comfortable but a bit loose, and the next day noticed an odd feeling in my toe. I continued walking normally and my foot gradually got worse to the point I now can't put any weight on it, threw of the toes are reddish purplish and it feels like I've injured my foot. I've seen the GP who thinks it's an infection so I am taking antibiotics. In a couple of days if it doesn't heal the plan is to go for an x-ray. Has anyone experienced anything like this before and how long did it take you to recover?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

3 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
100%
You are NOT being unreasonable
0%
lunepremiere79 · 25/01/2024 07:45

Bump

OP posts:
peppermum60 · 25/01/2024 07:52

How old are you OP? I had something similar but I'm post menopausal and it was osteoporosis - it's not normal to fracture toes in this way. The problem with X Rays is they don't show tiny fractures until they start to heal so even if you go for an X Ray it may not show up

Trappedandunhappy · 25/01/2024 08:09

I had a swollen big toe once and the doctor said it was because I’d had a virus and that after the age of 40 this can happen. Not sure if it can happen with little toes too. The joint was swollen and very sore and I thought I’d broken it.

SpeedyDrama · 25/01/2024 08:20

I haven’t had this, however I have fractured a toe and the pain was immediate and horrific. Toe was purple and most of my foot bruised over the next couple of days. I’m not saying it’s not fractured, I’d think you’ve possibly rubbed your foot into an infection though. I also would swear on my life I fractured my thumb a couple of years ago but nothing showed on the xray - interesting to know that smaller fractures don’t come up on an xray until healed.

TherebytheGraceofGodgoI · 25/01/2024 08:47

Mmmmm, as someone with narrow feet, I can’t stress enough that you should never wear ill fitting loose footwear.
It sounds to me that all this is down to your boots being too loose and not giving support to your feet. As you walk and put your foot down your foot is probably going forward in your boot and that can cause sore points on your feet including sore toes if they bash into the sides of the boot or rub against the sole. You may also be gripping the boots by curling your toes. This would explain the redness of your toes.
Either wear extra thick socks or ditch the boots. In time this could cause problems with your feet, ankles, knees and hips as it all has a knock on effect.

LIZS · 25/01/2024 08:57

Hammer toes?

Rocknrollstar · 25/01/2024 09:25

You might have a stress fracture but it is more likely to be an infection. I broke a toe once by stubbing it on a banister and really did see stars.

lunepremiere79 · 25/01/2024 11:06

peppermum60 · 25/01/2024 07:52

How old are you OP? I had something similar but I'm post menopausal and it was osteoporosis - it's not normal to fracture toes in this way. The problem with X Rays is they don't show tiny fractures until they start to heal so even if you go for an X Ray it may not show up

I am 44, and they did say I was at risk...how long did it take you to fully recover, out of curiosity?

OP posts:
lunepremiere79 · 25/01/2024 11:10

Trappedandunhappy · 25/01/2024 08:09

I had a swollen big toe once and the doctor said it was because I’d had a virus and that after the age of 40 this can happen. Not sure if it can happen with little toes too. The joint was swollen and very sore and I thought I’d broken it.

Interesting, I didn't consider virus as a possibility. I have now been taking antibiotics for about 2 days and also rubbing antibiotic gel into toes and but there hasn't been any improvement. Sounds like x-rays will be useless potentially. I do have private insurance which I think I'll take advantage of to figure out whether I need an MRI instead to see the tiny fracture if it's there. It's really frustrating lying in bed all day every day, not being able to move much as every time I put pressure on the foot I seem make it worse. It doesn't hurt if I just lye in bed though, so I guess that's something. How long do you think something like can last? When will I be able to walk again?

OP posts:
lunepremiere79 · 25/01/2024 11:12

Rocknrollstar · 25/01/2024 09:25

You might have a stress fracture but it is more likely to be an infection. I broke a toe once by stubbing it on a banister and really did see stars.

I didn't have anything like this that I can remember..I didn't stub my toes, which is why I think it was the boots that are to blame. It was relatively ok to walk on the foot for the first week, but I now know I shouldn't have done that as I must have just aggravated it and made it worse.

OP posts:
lunepremiere79 · 25/01/2024 11:13

SpeedyDrama · 25/01/2024 08:20

I haven’t had this, however I have fractured a toe and the pain was immediate and horrific. Toe was purple and most of my foot bruised over the next couple of days. I’m not saying it’s not fractured, I’d think you’ve possibly rubbed your foot into an infection though. I also would swear on my life I fractured my thumb a couple of years ago but nothing showed on the xray - interesting to know that smaller fractures don’t come up on an xray until healed.

Yeah my toes are purple but the pain came on gradually over a week, which is why it's confusing

OP posts:
peppermum60 · 25/01/2024 15:37

It took me about 6 weeks for it to heal and I wore an air cast boot which was a nuisance but blissful after the agony of walking on it

peppermum60 · 25/01/2024 15:38

And my stress fracture pain wasn't immediate- it took a few days to become really painful

lunepremiere79 · 25/01/2024 17:54

peppermum60 · 25/01/2024 15:38

And my stress fracture pain wasn't immediate- it took a few days to become really painful

Wow, it sounds very similar to what you had, but gosh 6 weeks! That's very long. Is there anything that can be done to prevent it? Obviously wear well fitting shoes for one😂

OP posts:
peppermum60 · 25/01/2024 20:10

Definitely well fitting shoes with a supportive sole is a good preventative measure! Lucky flats with chunky soles and trainers are fashionable these days! And there's probably no harm in taking calcium supplements (but I'm no dietitian) Good luck and hope it's less painful soon x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.