Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Help me stop waking up at 3am every night

58 replies

iliketurtles1 · 24/01/2024 21:25

It’s killing me! My mood has been terrible the last few weeks and I think it’s because I’m not fully sleeping.

I often go to bed and I’m pretty awake at night, but I’ll always fall asleep fine. No issues there. But for a month or two now, I’ve woken up at 3am EVERY NIGHT. I’ll wake up feeling fine, and I’ll usually get back to sleep, but it’s scary how on-time it is every night.

I’ve never ever had issues with sleep.

The worst part is, I’m now waking up before work feeling like I’ve got a hangover and I’m so beyond tired in the mornings.

I looked it up and it could be to do with cortisol. I’ve tried taking a magnesium fizzy capsule before bed, even a square of dark chocolate, but nothing is working.

I went to the gp and he’s testing my cortisol but other than that he’s not been very helpful.

I’m getting so sick and tired of feeling like I’ve been hit by a bus every morning 😭

OP posts:
DustyLee123 · 24/01/2024 21:30

Get some magnesium glycinate, that’s best for sleep.
Do you exercise?
Get a good clean bed routine, no screens in bed etc.

iliketurtles1 · 24/01/2024 21:32

Ooh ok, is that different to the dissolving capsules I am drinking before bed?
My routine is pretty good. I wind down quite early, no screens and often with a book. I fall asleep pretty easily.
It’s so annoying 😭

OP posts:
ScabbyHorse · 24/01/2024 21:33

Poor you, that's so stressful... I had that a while ago and I think it was anxiety. Can you work out if there's something you're worried about? My therapist at the time reframed it for me in a helpful way, he said maybe there is something you need to think over and it's your body's way of telling you. Hope this helps

DustyLee123 · 24/01/2024 21:33

I found alcohol was affecting my sleep, so I stopped it.
i found that protein yogurts were too. And I now take my supplements in the morning as that was another thing.

sleepeasie · 24/01/2024 21:37

I've struggled with this. Most helpful things for me: eating beef, exercise, no naps/lie-ins/early nights, accepting I sleep less now.

JubileeJumps · 24/01/2024 21:37

Think of a word. Then another word. - which isn't connected.
For example soap, tree, vase, goat, basket, apron, February, open......
Just disconnected words. This alway sends me back to sleep.

Barbarbaranne · 24/01/2024 21:39

How old are you? I did this for years and the got HRT which halted my insomnia almost overnight.

Stoufer · 24/01/2024 21:39

I find sugar in the evening (or chocolate, or caffeine, or alcohol, or artificial sweeteners like phenylalanine) really affects my sleep. I also started some new medication on September, but found really quickly that it was waking me in the early hours and I couldn’t get back to sleep. Could it be something in the house that is making you stir at the same time each night (like radiator gurgling when heating coming on, or something else)? Another thing I have found in past is that if I drink any liquid before bed then I tend to wake in the early hours, needing the toilet…

Createausername1970 · 24/01/2024 21:41

I have a radio on low during the night tuned R4 extra. So when I wake up there is something to listen to, and I often fall asleep again quite quickly.

The upside is, if you keep waking up at 3.00 you will be able to follow the serial that is on at the time every night. It was Little Women last week 🤣

mauvish · 24/01/2024 21:41

Is your room the right temperature? Are you too hot or cold?

What about a weighted blanket?

Myyearmytime · 24/01/2024 21:44

What age are you ?
perimenopause?

Viamar · 24/01/2024 21:45

Me and very many of my friends wake at 3 am regularly. we thought of forming a 3 am whatsapp group. Acceptance is the way I deal with it. I don’t fight it or look for remedies.

Baldieheid · 24/01/2024 21:46

Maybe there's something going on outside at 3am that you're hearing?
A neighbour heading off for a very early work shift?
Milk delivery?
A night train whizzing by?
A delivery to a local shop, van door being closed?

Is it every single night or just weekdays?

FearMe · 24/01/2024 21:47

If you're anywhere over 40 could be hormonal.

ItsVeryHyacinthBucket · 24/01/2024 21:49

Oh my god. Never watch the Exorcism of Emily Rose then. She woke up hang on 3am every night because she was possessed by an ancient demon. Could be that?

DisappearingGirl · 24/01/2024 21:49

I find if I drink tea/coffee after around midday/1pm then I'll sometimes wake up in the middle of the night

Conniethecatapillar · 24/01/2024 21:50

I do this too every night and also I have to get up for a wee as soon as I wake up. Mine is down to years of waking up with my kids and I don't think there's much I can do about it. I haven't had a full nights sleep for about 4 years without waking up.

Beetlebumz · 24/01/2024 21:51

Are you peri? This is happening to me too 😱

whatsupluckyducky · 24/01/2024 21:52

Could it be perimenopause related? It’s a common symptom.
sounds counterintuitive but one option is to set an alarm for an hour earlier than you typically wake , eg 2am…. Breaks the 3am habit and then hopefully after a few nights you can stop the alarm and also won’t wake at 3am

Cincinnatus · 24/01/2024 21:54

Do you smoke or vape?

KimKardassion · 24/01/2024 21:55

FearMe · 24/01/2024 21:47

If you're anywhere over 40 could be hormonal.

This.
I had this problem for ages, I thought it was peri-menopause or anaemia but when I had my bloods done it’s a thyroid issue.

KimKardassion · 24/01/2024 21:55

DisappearingGirl · 24/01/2024 21:49

I find if I drink tea/coffee after around midday/1pm then I'll sometimes wake up in the middle of the night

Going caffeine free changed my life. If I forget and don’t ask for a caffeine free teabag at someone’s house I regret it later!

mooncloud1 · 24/01/2024 21:59

Ok, this happened to me. Every single night 3.11am and something I actually read in here helped. I stopped looking at the time when I woke up, I know doesn't sound like much of a tip but it really worked. So, I was I was getting in a routine of waking at exactly the same time and somehow trained myself to awake at 3.11am. When I woke I would lay there and close my eyes and not look at a clock to see what the time was. It took a little while but it did work.
Depends how desperate you are, but worth a go.

Showmethebagels · 24/01/2024 22:07

I had this for years starting when my sleep was disturbed by a crying baby, it never went away when the baby slept through the night. The doctor eventually put me on low dose Amitriptyline and it’s been life changing. I rarely wake in the night now, only if I’ve been drinking wine which seems to interfere with the drug (gin is ok though!). I keep thinking I should try and wean myself off it but not been brave enough yet.

flufalump · 24/01/2024 22:10

I have had this for around 8 years on and off. Here is my list of things that help: a but…. Not always and not everything works all the time ?

If you have something to do tomorrow or need to remember, write it on a pad next to your bed / then you can ‘let it go’
Eye mask/ ear plugs and a fan for background noise
Over the counter sleeping tablet non herbal ones
Facial care routine
Hot shower before bed and lavender oil on my feet
Going to the loo more than once before bed to fully empty my bladder
Humming meditation when I clean my teeth ( I have read it stimulates the Vegas nerve) same with eye exercises
Magnesium spray on legs
HRT
Accertance that you have woken and are ok to read or scroll ( I've given up the idea of putting the phone away as I found I was lying there for hours) sometimes If I read for an hour I can drop back off about 4;30
Not clock watching
Letting go of counting hours sleep as it only makes me feel worse if I keep thinking oh god I've only had X amount of hours
Hot shower in the morning and make up/dressed up always makes me feel better
Sex
Knowing that if I have had a bad night or two the next night will probably be ok

I have more recently read that you should try to go to bed as late as possible… like 12 to force a change in your sleep pattern but not tested this out consistently as Im ironically always too tired 😩

Hope some of these that I have collected over the years are helpful for you

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.